Millions of women experience anxiety – it’s that tense, heart racing, can’t breathe, nervous sensation that grows from the pit of your stomach. It can last minutes to days and completely consume your life. For some, the anxiety is so great that anti-anxiety or anti-depressant medications are the only way you can function. For others, it’s merely situational around certain persons, places, events, or topics.
If you are interested in natural anxiety support then read on because this article is for you even if you are on medication!
1) Quiet time – now before you roll your eyes and skip to the next article, take this seriously. We are such a fast-paced, right now, quick messaging society that we forget to take a little breather from time-to-time. I encourage you to sit quietly for a few minutes in the morning and a few minutes in the evening and RELAX! Put yourself in time-out, shut the door, and allow yourself to unwind for a bit.
2) Sleep quality – if you aren’t consistently getting enough good, solid sleep then you’re short of energy and temper the next day. As this builds up, you feel more and more frayed allowing anxiety to take control because you don’t have the reserves you once had. Wind down at night, get off the computer and turn off the tv so you can relax. Drink sleepy time or nighttime tea in the evening and get to bed at a decent hour.
3) Rescue Remedy – this amazing little Bach Flower mixture can be picked up at any health food store/grocery store or online. It is an instantaneous anti-anxiety cure especially if you are about to enter a situation or encounter a person who makes you nervous. It’s very soothing and non-addicting and will not interfere with any medications.
4) Lemonbalm (Melissa officinalis) – this herb is most helpful at calming frayed nerves. It can be taken as a capsule, in liquid form, or in teas throughout the day or at night to improve sleep.
5) Lavender – inhaling this scent has been shown to induce relaxation. Buy some lavender essential oil or apply lavender body lotion to breathe in and carry with you.