According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "colorectal cancer is the second leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the United States and the third most common cancer in men and in women."
The American Cancer Society recommends men and women have their first colonoscopy when they reach 50 years of age.
Now, here is the fine print about your colonoscopy preparation.
• Schedule your appointment first thing in the morning.
• Do not eat or drink anything red or grape flavored 24 hours before your test!
• Someone needs to drive you home after your colonoscopy.
• Abdominal cramping and bloating may occur, along with nausea and vomiting. This is only temporary.
• You will not be able to return to work after your procedure.
• Use a straw to sip the pre-colonoscopy cocktail.
• Stop all fluids four hours before your procedure.
• Please note that if you are a diabetic, consult your doctor for additional prep requirements.
The following is the bowel prep my husband just had for his colonoscopy. Every GI doctor has their own bowel prep procedure so when you go for yours, it may be different but don't be surprised if you have this much to do to get ready.
Forty-eight hours before your colonoscopy, you need to buy the following items which will cost you approximately $65.00 dollars. Unfortunately, your medical reimbursement card will not cover these items.
Grocery list for colonoscopy:
• Miralax 238 g
• 4 gas relief tablets (Gas X)
• One 10 oz. bottole of Magnesium Citrate
• Two 32 oz. bottles of Gatorade orange or lemon lime (any color but RED or grape)
• Dulcolax (bisacodyl) 5 mg tablets. You can buy generic.
• Popcicles (no red or grape)
• Jell-O (no red or grape)
• Apple juice and/or white grape juice
• Tea or coffee (you can only drink it black during your prep)
• Ginger ale or Sprite
• Clear broth (chicken, beef or vegetable)
• Flushable handy-wipes
• Desitin or Vaseline
Here is a sample liquid diet 24 hours before your test:
• One glass of clear juice
• One cup of tea or coffee (black)
• Cup of Jell-O
• Sports drink (Gatorade – orange or lemon lime)