ask: 14 year old daughter, periods and tampon size?

By Kelley Howard December 23, 2008 - 8:36am

My 14 year old daughter has been menstruating for about a year and is making the transition from napkins to tampons. She is using regular size tampons and keeps complaining that it's uncomfortable when she puts it in, even though she is flowing pretty heavy. Even after she has had it in for several hours she complains it uncomfortable. I don't remember having this much trouble transitioning from napkins to tampons and wonder if she is just uncomfortable with the idea of putting a tampon in or if there may be some thing else going on like maybe needing a smaller tampon. Are there smaller tampons on the market for younger girls?

I'm not sure if I should be wearing regular or light. I wear ultra thin pads and have never leaked through the pad or my underwear. I've had my period for about a year and 1/3. I'm super athletic so I just wear light tampax pearl and take it out after like 3-4 hours but it seems to be a bit heavier this time. Should I try regular?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Sure, you can try regular. If it's too difficult go back to the light but practice with a regular and give it some time.

I'm 14, I tried the tampax pearl regular and it hurt when I took it out but it still hurt a while after I took it out.

ive never found them uncomfortable. have you made sure shes inserting it correctly? When I started with tampons a year ago when i was 13 I had to try a few times to find the
perfect spot for the tampon.

Okay I am 14 and I use both pads and tampons. My period can be heavy at sometimes and light at others. So if my Period is light I use "Tampax Pearl Active"(LIGHTS). I find them to be very comfortable. And if my Period is heavy I still use the same tampon listed above but I also wear a pad underneath. The Tampax Pear Active (LIGHT) Is a great tampon, it has a "anti gravity leakgaurd braid that helps stops leaks before they happen. It is also the recommend for first time use. Also one last thing, if you are looking for this tampon I recommend to look in a drug store because I found it hard to locate the Light sizes anywhere else

Im 13 i just started my first period im scared about the fact of a tampon but it's the summer and i want to swim with my friends but i cant when im on my period idk what to do.

There are very small tampons that you can try. If you are still too nervous, then skip swimming for the days of your period.

I'm 13and I've had my period for about a year now. And I "bleed" pretty heavily. There's really no pad for me. I've thought about making the transition from pads to tampons, but idk what size I should get. Is there anyone who can help me?

I have thee same problem :/ try using a regular sized tampon maybe and a thin pad?

Anonymous1515 (reply to Anonymous)

I'm 13 and I bleed pretty heavily as-well! I have only been using tampons for a few months, but I have pretty much figured out the whole "tampon size" thing. I say that you should start with a regular/medium, and then if that's to small, just slowly work your way up from there, or if its to big, then you should try something smaller!

How much money annually do you spend on health and wellness products?: