ask: 14 year old daughter, periods and tampon size?

My 14 year old daughter has been menstruating for about a year and is making the transition from napkins to tampons. She is using regular size tampons and keeps complaining that it's uncomfortable when she puts it in, even though she is flowing pretty heavy. Even after she has had it in for several hours she complains it uncomfortable. I don't remember having this much trouble transitioning from napkins to tampons and wonder if she is just uncomfortable with the idea of putting a tampon in or if there may be some thing else going on like maybe needing a smaller tampon. Are there smaller tampons on the market for younger girls?

Anonymous

Okay I am 14 and I use both pads and tampons. My period can be heavy at sometimes and light at others. So if my Period is light I use "Tampax Pearl Active"(LIGHTS). I find them to be very comfortable. And if my Period is heavy I still use the same tampon listed above but I also wear a pad underneath. The Tampax Pear Active (LIGHT) Is a great tampon, it has a "anti gravity leakgaurd braid that helps stops leaks before they happen. It is also the recommend for first time use. Also one last thing, if you are looking for this tampon I recommend to look in a drug store because I found it hard to locate the Light sizes anywhere else

Anonymous

Im 13 i just started my first period im scared about the fact of a tampon but it's the summer and i want to swim with my friends but i cant when im on my period idk what to do.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

There are very small tampons that you can try. If you are still too nervous, then skip swimming for the days of your period.

Anonymous

I'm 13and I've had my period for about a year now. And I "bleed" pretty heavily. There's really no pad for me. I've thought about making the transition from pads to tampons, but idk what size I should get. Is there anyone who can help me?

Anonymous1515 (reply to Anonymous)

I'm 13 and I bleed pretty heavily as-well! I have only been using tampons for a few months, but I have pretty much figured out the whole "tampon size" thing. I say that you should start with a regular/medium, and then if that's to small, just slowly work your way up from there, or if its to big, then you should try something smaller!

There are muti-packs of tampons where they come in all different sizes. Buy one of those and see what works best.

Anonymous

I am 12 almost 13 and I had my period. I want to try tampons but my mom doesn't get that I feel nasty in pads. What should I do?

EmpowHER policy is that we on;ly answer questions from age 13+. 

You need to tell your mother in no uncertain terms how you feel. 

Anonymous

I'm 13 and I have had my period for a year then I started using tampons for about a year now. Pads are so uncomfortable, they make you wanna pick at your butt. Pad are also such a mess and stink too. Tampons are so easier you just slid them in than release it. you also don't know they are their. Also you can flush them so you just pull quick and drop no stink. I would suggest talking to your daughter just to make sure she is okay with using them. You can always switch back to pads! But if they really are annoying her that much I would just try to find the tiniest tiniest size there is the purple one are great for this. There really small. But always keep the regulars in the cabnet. Cause she will get older and enlarge as she gets older. :)

Anonymous

I'm 14 and have only had my period for a short time but I find tampons so much more clean and hygienic. I have a very heavy flow but tampons are still the best for me. Aim for you lowers back and the trick is to relax (it makes it so much easier), being a bit of a germ freak pads were just not for me. With tampons there is no mess and you can even feel it (apart for the cramps) it's just like a normal day.the transition is different for everyone , someone people will never get round to wearing tampons but RELAX everyone is different also you'd be surprised what you can fit up there!;)

How much money annually do you spend on health and wellness products?: