ask: 14 year old daughter, periods and tampon size?

By Kelley Howard

My 14 year old daughter has been menstruating for about a year and is making the transition from napkins to tampons. She is using regular size tampons and keeps complaining that it's uncomfortable when she puts it in, even though she is flowing pretty heavy. Even after she has had it in for several hours she complains it uncomfortable. I don't remember having this much trouble transitioning from napkins to tampons and wonder if she is just uncomfortable with the idea of putting a tampon in or if there may be some thing else going on like maybe needing a smaller tampon. Are there smaller tampons on the market for younger girls?

Anonymous

I'm 14 and have only had my period for a short time but I find tampons so much more clean and hygienic. I have a very heavy flow but tampons are still the best for me. Aim for you lowers back and the trick is to relax (it makes it so much easier), being a bit of a germ freak pads were just not for me. With tampons there is no mess and you can even feel it (apart for the cramps) it's just like a normal day.the transition is different for everyone , someone people will never get round to wearing tampons but RELAX everyone is different also you'd be surprised what you can fit up there!;)

Anonymous

I'm 18 and i have just started using tampons. At first i thought i was too small to stick a tampon in and i had trouble inserting it but i looked online and it said to aim towards your back and sure enough it helped. Hope this helps

Anonymous

I'm 23 and can only use mini tampons. Don't know if it's because i'm small, not used to them and/or the fact that i'm a virgin. When I was 16 I couldn't even get the mini ones in! XD

Anonymous

I am 13 and have tried tampons. And i find that theyre comfortable and just great if you know what youre doing. So if youre starting and still a virgin (like me) its tight down there. So i would recomend sleek plastic tampons. Theyre super easy to put in. So before being really sketchy know what down there looks like. You just put it in until it reaches where you hold it. So no not at the very end. At the middle where it has two seperate parts. Then push the plastic peice (where your index finger goes) and push it with your index finger and the applicator should come out and the string of the tampon will stay there. It took me 3 or 4 tries till i got it right. ONLY TRY WHILE YOURE ON YOUR PERIOD.

Anonymous

what if you feel like you're too small "down there" to use tampons or like the hymen (however you spell it) won't allow you to get a tampon in, or even worse, back out. I'm 16, a virgin, and have had my period for 3 years and still can't wear a tampon. I have talked to my mom about going to see the doctor, but we haven't yet because of financial reasons (and she's not as worried about this as me) and i've been stressing OUT because of this lately. someone who knows what they're talking about, PLEASE answer me!!!!

Don't worry your not the only one! Im 16, and i feel like im too small "down there too." I find it hard to put regular tampons in. My mom said they used to make junior tampons and ive been looking, but i think they are discontinused. In the long run. Don't worry! your not the only one!
I also found the always infinity pads. For me, they work great even for a long period of time. Just a suggestion :)

Anonymous

I was 14 in February and started having periods in November. I use sanitary towels and I would be too creeped out to use tampons. Even the thought of it makes me tense and uncomfortable.
However messy the sanitary towels are, I think I'll stick with them!

Anonymous

I think she should totally avoid tampons if she is uncomfortable. Another product that she must have are the adira period panties that will ensure that she never stains herself. It is also a more hygienic way to have her period.

Anonymous

She probably doesnt insert them far enough!

Anonymous

Well, I am 13 years old and I want to use tampons. I takemy mom's Kotex (they are purple, I think super plus) and I try to put it in but it kind of hurts; say 4 on the 10 scale and then itfeels as thoguh there issomething i nthe way and I cannot get it in, even half way. Why is this. Is it becasue of the size? Please getback to me asap.

How much money annually do you spend on health and wellness products?: