ask: 19 days late, negative pregnancy tests - how common is this - women to have low HCG?

Hi

I know the questions have been over-asked but I really need some advice. My last period was 5th Jan and I had unprotected sex on 12th Jan (Day 8th). I am now 19 days late and no sign of my period. My periods are typically 26-30 days and I am very regular - except for the last one which was a week late and only lasted 3-4 days (normally it's 5-6).

Symptoms-wise, I noticed extra discharge few days after period was due and I felt mildly dizzy a few times. Have been waking up a few times a night to pee. Nipples were sore for half a day last week, when I was ten days late. Was at a car showroom with my bf last weekend and felt nauseated by the smell of new leather.

Thing is, I've tested 4 times and it's all negative (last test was today). Am I stressed? Well, kinda, but not anymore than I usually am. Wondering if it's common for some women to just not register enough HCG to get a positive test. Some background: I was pregnant about 7 years ago and I only picked it up after I was 2 months plus. Aborted at 3 months :(

A part of me really hopes I'm pregnant and I keep thinking about it. Please help.

Anonymous

Welcome to Empowher and thanks for your question. If you are now approximately 10 days late for your period and three negative pregnancy tests, I think your period is just late. This is very common as each and every woman can tell stories of abnormal periods. There may not be a reason, per se, behind the delayed period, sometimes this just happens and it is ok.

Abnormal periods are very common also in the teen years and in your 20s. If you are concerned about pregnancy, you could always make an appointment with your physician to have a blood test taken although, I would wait if I were in your shoes. You may be surprised that it will just show up.

Keep us posted.

Missie

Anonymous

Hi there,

I am new to this site and was wondering if I could get some adive.
I am 24 and am fairly healthy. I usually get my period between the 10th and 13th of every month, however this month is different. I am about 9-12 days late for my period and have taken 4 hpt which have all had the same negitive result? I am confused as to why this is, and is it that common for women to not have enough HCG in their system to detect a positive test?

Anonymous

in november 2009 i was late getting my period. i was supposed to start on the first and didnt so i took a test and it was negative. a couple of weeks later, i was having leg cramps so i went to the doctor and advised him i hadnt started my period. he ordered a urine preg test and again it was negative. the day before thanksgiving, i went to a follow-up appoitment i had with a female specialist regarding a bladder condition i have and told her i still hadnt started my period and told her about the leg cramps and some other symptoms. she thought it was odd and ordered another urine test, which also came back negative so she wanted a blood test done to check for pregnacy and to check for low horomone levels that may have contributed to my missed period. she called me on december 2nd and advised me i was pregnant but that she couldnt tell me how far along i was because she only ordered the test to see if i was pregnant and not the more specific test that showed my HCG levels because she didt think i was pregnant since the urine test came back neg. she advised me to call my ob/gyn. i called him and he ordered more blood work. the test showed different levels and they were saying between 4-8 weeks which is a big gap. so he ordered an ultrasound and it showed 6 weeks and everything looked normal but there was no heartbeat which the ultrasound tech said may have been to early to hear. the dr. ordered more bloodwork exactly a week later and it still showed the large gap so, again, another ultrasound the very next day, which at that time i would have been 7 weeks. i went for the ultrasound and there was no baby and no heartbeat. it was ruled a blighted ovum and i miscarried 2 weeks later. i have not been able to conceive ever since. i already have a son and a daughter and had no problems conceiving them.

Rosa Cabrera RN (reply to Anonymous)

I'm sorry for your loss! I also had a miscarriage at about 8 weeks along so I can empathize with you. Have you consulted with your doctor to see why you haven't been able to conceive since?

Dear Anon,

Normally when a women is pregnant the hcg hormone is abundant and levels continue to rise as pregnancy progresses-- this is what makes the urine test so accurate. However, if your period is 19 days late and you have symptoms of pregnancy, you should see a doctor at this point. I don't want to scare you but it is really important that you pay your ob/gyn a visit to make sure all is well-- Pregnant or not.

Please keep us posted

How much money annually do you spend on health and wellness products?: