1st Trimester Pregnancy Question relating to HCG Levels and Missed Miscarriage Dx

By March 5, 2010 - 12:34pm

I am 39 yrs old. Took a Home pregnancy test on 2/20 which was positive, contacted my FP and she confirmed and took blood for HCG levels. The levels were reported at 19275. On 2/22 had another HCG test done and levels were only 19305. My LM was 12/31/09 which would have put me at approx. 7weeks. Due to slow increase and concern of FP went to Hospital on 3/1 and had u/s - no heartbeat detected and fetus measured only 6 weeks size. Was Dx a missed miscarriage due to HCG levels, LM and size of fetus. I am RH neg, so was given shot of RhoGAM on same date. 3/5 Finally got results of HCG levels taken on 3/1 are 24562. Can you have a missed miscarriage and HGC Levels still increase by that amount? Is there hope of a incorrect dx?

Karmal, I'm also sorry to hear about your baby and know you have encouragement and support here. Like Susan, I hope you keep in touch.

Hi Susan - Just wanted to let you know that my HCG Levels went down again and my progesterone was only 10.9. Dr. did another ultrasound and the baby had died. I was also starting to have a low grade temp, the Dr. put me on antiboitics and scheduled me for a D&C which I had today (Wed). I am very sad, but actually glad that the rollercoaster of emtions is finally over. Thank you so much for your support and encouragement.

HERWriter Guide (reply to Karmal)

I'm so sorry you lost the baby - what heartbreaking news. Take your time to mourn your loss and become well again. I hope you have the support of your family and friends at this time.

I also understand the sense of relief at the same time - not relief about the pregnancy of course, but relief that the ordeal is over.

I hope you are feeling better now after your D & C.

I wish you the very best in trying for a baby and please stay in touch with us.

Thanks again Susan -
I found out about the increasing HCG Levels today (as I have access to my lab results through my hopsital account) - My FP is closed on Friday's egro I don't think she knows what my current levels are. However, I have an appointment already scheduled with my FP tomorrow at 10:30 she is planning to draw yet another HCG level test to make sure levels "were" dropping since we hadn't got the results from the hospital when I made the appointment. Do you think I should also request her to add a progesterone level test?

I do not have an OBGYN yet, since everything is just so crazy - I basically forced the hospital to do an U/S since I was so scared - and had a consult with fetal/maternal specialist (he was the one who dx a missed misscarriage). However, I am going to discuss everything with my FP and ask for her to refer me to an OBGYN. I just think what is going on might be out of her league (she is an FP and is wonderful, but her patient base is mainly geriatric) The specialist I saw at the hopsital said I am not considered high risk, so they wouldn't take me on as a patient... Until I know one way or the other - I am focusing on keeping calm and relaxed as I know stress wont help anything.

I mentioned my weight as the did the "belly" ultrasound and wondered if that may have prevented them from hearing anything - If I was only 6weeks would they have heard anything anyways?

PS> the fetus looked normal for 6 weeks according to the tech, but considering we thought I was approx 8 weeks for the u/s appointment and HGC levels were high they stated the fetus had apparently died for unknown reasons at 6 weeks.

HERWriter Guide (reply to Karmal)

I totally understand your fears. I was very anxious with my son's first trimester, terrified I'd miscarry. I didn't enjoy that time at all, my fears were too great. Once I got into the second trimester, I was golden! Your stress is very normal.

They made not have heard a heartbeat at six weeks; that's a challenge. The baby's heart has just begun to pump blood. Isn't it amazing that just two weeks after your missed period, your baby has a beating heart?

I think a progesterone test IS a good idea as this is a way to evaluate the risk of miscarriage.

You seem very knowledgeable about pregnancy and your body - I'm so impressed! I hope you have good family/friend support around you. I also hope you get some really good news and if it's not good news, do know that we're here for you.

Keep us posted and good luck tomorrow!

Hi again Anon

Don't worry about TMI, we're full of that around here!

I was thinking about the possibility that you miscarried one twin, and not the other? It's just a thought to throw out there.

I think you should think about calling your doctor with the facts:

Still no period
High hGC levels
Very little evidence of miscarriage (brown blood is old blood).

I also think another pregnancy test by you is needed. If it's positive, call your doctor immediately. But based on your other 'facts', I still think an appointment is a good idea, even if she thinks you are in no way pregnant.

Of course, you may have miscarried at a very early stage. This may explain the very light spotting. I don't want to put ideas in your mind that you are definitely pregnant because obviously we cannot tell you that.

Weight does factor in to pregnancy in terms of some risk factors and your BMI puts you into the 'obese' category. However, we can't tell you if this may be what's causing this.

Is a pregnancy test something you can do, today or tomorrow?

Hi Karmal

Thank you for your post and I'm sorry you've been dealing with this difficult experience.

hCG levels can be very low in some women who go on to have healthy pregnancies and they can stop increasing at such high rates (levels increase at an astonishing rate in early pregnancy) so there is no "standard" for a healthy baby based on these levels. There are, however, average levels.

Your baby measuring at 6 weeks when in fact, is 7 weeks old isn't a clear sign of a pregnancy that's not viable. Some babies measure smaller and the difference is only a week. The absence of a heartbeat at 7 weeks is worrisome but not fully indicative of a miscarriage either. Not all health care professionals can hear a heart beat at this early stage (even though the heart is still beating.)

Have you had symptoms of miscarriage, or nothing at all? If you have had no bleeding since December, no symptoms of miscarriage and rising hGC levels, then it's possible to be still pregnant. Women often have hGC levels in their bodies after miscarriages and birth but your rising levels are concerning.

Have you spoken to your doctor about this? Can you get a second opinion?

Please let us know what symptoms of miscarriage you have had and also-have you taken a pregnancy test recently (in the last couple of days)?

Thanks for you feedback Susan - Sorry of the next part has TMI ---- My LM was 12/31, I had light spotting 1/23-1/25 pantyliner if that (which FP stated was probably implementation bleeding), started spotting the evening of the 2/20 (same day discovered I was pregnant) light brown and only when wipe off and on through 2/27 (never used a pad or liner) - Nothing since U/S on 3/1. I am heavier ( I am 5'5" and 196lbs) not sure if that has any bearing on anything.