2 months late period

Im 24 years old and usually have a regular 28 day cycle, i was on the pill for aprox 8 years and came off these at the end of december to try for a baby with my husband, my period was normal ( 28 day cycle) until end of april and since april 22nd i have had no period ( today is july 5th), ive seen my doc last week and she is arranging an appointment for a pelvic ultra sound scan. i have done 3 pregnancy test and all have a negative result. i am really worried because my sister suffers with poly cystic ovaries and has now been told that she can not have children. what are the chances that i may still be pregnant. ive been getting headaches/dizzyness and my tummy is swelled, i have also gained some weight. is it more likely that i have also got poly cystic ovaries? any replies will be much appreciated. Thanks

on October 29th 2010 i found out that i was pregnant! i'm now almost 15 weeks, it still hasn't quite sunk in....i'm so excited.

(reply to michelle12)

Let us know if you have any questions about pregnancy!

i've recently been put back onto the contraceptive pill by my doctor to try and regulate my periods and also been put on metformin. i had my first cervical screening approx 5 months ago and was told that abnormal cells were found and so had to go for further tests - colposcopy at the hospital, on my first visit i was told that i would need a biopsy of the effected cells but that this could not be performed as i was not using contraceptive at the time and there was no guarentee that i was not pregnant, i returned in 6 weeks to have the biopsy done and this time saw a different doctor, he noticed on my medical records that i was not good with needles and so did not want to perform the biopsy under local anesthetic and wanted me to return in a further 6 weeks to have under general anasthetic, i told the doctor that just didnt like needles especially when younger and requested that he perform the biopsy as planned ( the first doc had no problem with this)... he refused dispite me being very upset and sent me away. i spoke with my doctor who in the end, got me into a private hospital due to me being very stressed about it all and i went to see a consultant there... he performed another colposcopy examination and stated that i did have abnormal cells but that he wanted to review the smear test and see me again in 6 months! to see if there have been any more changes to the cells... he stated that they were more likley to be precancerous than cancerous and he would see me in 6 months.... no other examinations have taken place and i am going out of my mind with worry... it doesn't make any sence to me... i mean if i had been on contreceptive in the first place then the first doctor would have done it there and then months ago. i now have to wait until may 2010 to go back to the hospital.

Hi Michelle

It's great to hear from you again!

I understand feeling very negative about your PCOS diagnosis, and you have every right to feel very down in the dumps about it. Everyone is entitled to have a few days of feeling miserable without being told to look on the bright side - whatever that bright side may be. PCOS can be difficult to live with.

But (and don't hate me!) there is a bright side! Having PCOS is absolutely no guarantee of infertility. Many women with PCOS go on to have lots of babies. And others do have difficulty but with some help, they also conceive.

And you may too have to face the fact that you are also infertile but don't jump to those conclusions yet - you are not even remotely close to that stage.

Ask your doctor what your next move is. The good news is that you are still really young. If you were hitting 40, that would be a different story but you're 24 - you have time on your side, which is excellent.

And are you interested in re-establishing a relationship with your sister? If so, there is no better time. Perhaps you will find comfort with each other, and be able to lean on each other during difficult times. If anyone knows what you're going through - it's your sister. She may also be a great resource for you on what to do next. You don't have to re-establish a connection, of course, but it's just a thought.

Have a good cry if that's what you need. And talk to your husband and friends and feel free to lean on some shoulders - you need and deserve that. And then get to work with your doctors - having a baby is not impossible with PCOS!

And remember that you always have us here at EmpowHer - anytime you need us.

Hi Everyone,
i have now had my results and have been diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome, i don't know what to really think or feel..... my sister was diagnosed with this a few years ago and has gone through ivf and many other treatments with no joy of getting pregnant, i don't really know all the in and outs of it but i know that she has been told by doctors that she can no longer have children- (me and my sister have our differences and don't really speak- she does not know that i have also been diagnosed with pos). i know that this is not the case with all sufferes of pos but i can't help but feel negative about things at the moment. x

still waiting for results from ultra sound... got an appointment for 24th august..

(reply to michelle12)

Keep us posted....we wish you the best results!

went to emergency docs today who sent me straight to hospital- had blood and urine test- both negative for pregnancy . Got to wait for scan now as it looks as though i may have a problem with my reproductive organs.

(reply to michelle12)

What symptoms were you having, that sent you to the emergency doctors and then straight to the hospital?

I'm sorry you are having these difficulties---please let us know how we can help.

Hi Again, Just to update everyone, ive done 2 digital tests and both still showing negative results, i've now finally recieved my hospital appointment letter- scheduled for ultra sound scan on 30th july- will keep you posted with results x