2 months without a period.

By November 2, 2009 - 10:36am

So its been about 2 months that i dont remember getting my period. usually i remember the dates but im sure i havent gotten on for 2 months now. i wasnt sexually active since mid june till about 2-3 weeks ago. we had protected sex, he even pulled out before busting with a condom. i have been getting my period since i was nine and now im almost 17 and its still not stable.
i took two pregnancy tests last week and they both came out negative.
i have been gaining weight for the past month, no sickness nor much signs of being pregnant. but i just wanna know whats going on or at least have some idea..

also i have been cramping very lightly since yesterday but thats about it.
what can it be??

Dear camil117

Since you have a history of irregular periods and your pregnancy tests are negative, it's likely you are just...irregular.
Make sure you continue to use condoms or talk to your doctor about the birth control pill which may help regulate your cycle, as well as protect against pregnancy. Using condoms (in addition to the Pill) will also help against infection/disease.

With regard to your weight gain - a woman's weight can fluctuate from 5-10 lbs every months, depending on her cycle. Water retention, bloating or giving in to cravings like sweets or fatty foods can add a few pounds quite quickly.

If you don't get your period in the next couple of weeks, retest for pregnancy and then think about scheduling an appointment with your health care provider to see what you can work out together to regulate your cycle and protect you from pregnancy.

Good luck and keep us updated!

thank you so much!

I actually got my period today, i thought i would because last night i was feeling awful and usually how i feel the night before i get it. i also let my mother know i did because she was getting worried. she told me she would take me to see the gyno because my periods sometimes dont come for like 3 months in a row and i've been having it for such a long time. she told me they might have to get me on the pill to stabelize it and i'd love to but my mom isn't aware that im sexually active. is it possible for the doctor to tell whether im a virgin or not just by "being" around there? Can i be honest with them when they're questioning me? i know i should be honest about everything to everyone but i dont think im ready to let my mom know.

(reply to camil_117)

I'm so glad you got your period today. I know what a big relief that is.

When you see the doctor, will you be able to be examined by her or him alone? Or will your mother want to be in the room? You need to try to be in the room with the doctor and the nurse by yourself so you can be honest.

What a doctor can "tell" by an examination is whether your hymen is intact or not. But just because it's not intact doesn't necessarily someone is not a virgin (it may have been broken by cheerleading, playing sports, and so on). However, the nurse or doctor WILL ask you if you are sexually active, and you need to be honest with them if you possibly can. If you are very shy about it you could perhaps tell them that you have had sex once, but that you do have a boyfriend and the possibliity exists that you will again. You don't have to go into detail.

What state do you live in? Some privacy laws vary from state to state.

(reply to Diane Porter)

thanks, i know its such a big relief!

im not sure i thought it would depend on the doctor, i live in Virginia what are the privacy laws here?