2 positive pregnancy tests, 2 negative

By October 23, 2009 - 7:01pm

I took a digital pregnancy test a day before I was suppose to get my period. It came back pregnant. I took both a regular test and digital test the day after my period was suppose to come (still no period) and the regular test was negative and the digital test was positive. Shouldn't the regular one be reading positive by now?? What does this mean?

It sounds like you did indeed have a chemical pregnancy and I am so sorry for your loss. I know you'll add to your family some day soon and I hope you take this time to recover both physically and emotionally, as you'll need several weeks to do both. I also had a chemical pregnancy and it's tough going, especially from the emotional aspect.

I really hope you remain with us on Empowher and let us know when your big, fat positive pregnancy test arrives and you'll be holding your babe in no time.

Our best to you-

Thank you SO much for your response. I appreciate it more than you know. After a very long day, I finally know the results. Around 5 this morning, I started cramping and having significant blood loss. I spoke the the obgyn on call with my doctor's office. She suggested going to the ER to see what was going on.

My husband and I spent most of the morning and afternoon at the ER. They took a blood test and the results showed hGC present but not as much as they would have anticipated for someone in their 4th or 5th week. After an examination, the doctor said he believed I was pregnant for a week or so but that I had/was having an early miscarriage. He thought the reason some pregnancy test showed up positive while others were negative was due to the sensitivity of certain tests.

My husband and I are very disappointed as we were very much looking forward to having a second baby and making our 2 1/2 year old daughter a big sister. I believe things happen for a reason though and we are hopefully that we will have more success in the months to come!

Thank you again so much for your support. It is so nice to be able to communicate with other women and to feel like you aren't the only one out there!

Dear Fonzie11

Thanks so much for your question!

A false positive (meaning a test says you are pregnant when you are not) is very rare. It can happen, but it's rare. Reasons for it to happen are varied. Women who miscarry within days of being pregnant (a chemical pregnancy) can get a false positive. But since you don't have any kind of bleeding, this likely wouldn't be the case for you.

Some medications may contain the pregnancy hormone hGC and thus your urine may contain some and show up as an inaccurate positive test.

If you take a test within 4-6 weeks of childbirth, you may still contain the hormone and show a false positive.

But it's still rare. If your digital test said you are pregnant, you probably are. If the traditional test showed only one line, take it again and look closely. Some second lines can be so light, they are barely readable. My test with my second child showed only one line. About a half hour later I went to throw it away and as I lifted it up to throw away and it caught the lights and I got the briefest glimpse of a second line. The more I looked, the more I thought I could see a line. I tested the next day and the second line was darker. My guess is that there was a second line in that regular test but you didn't see it. This is common. If you test again with a regular EPT, it's probable that you'll see two lines now.

I hope this helps you and that you are happy if you are pregnant! Will you update us?