At 37, I had a total hysterectomy. I only took my estrogen for a few months before I stopped, they seemed to be making me moody. I have had no issues since, it's been about 8 months since I went off it. Is there a down side to not taking my estrogen?

Thank you for your question!

This isn't a simple question to answer.

Firstly, if you had a total hysterectomy due to a cancer, you should never go on HRT but you didn't mention why you had this procedure and at such a young age.

Not all women go on HRT after menopause (which is what you would have gone straight into, after a total hysterectomy). Some because they don't need or want it, or can't afford it. Many women do and it works very well, although there are risks associated with any kind of medication.

If you are in good health, have a nutritious diet with plenty of calcium and you exercise, then you may be just fine with the HRT!

Did you discuss this with your doctor?

Thank you so much for your quick response! I had the total hyst because I wanted an ablation, but in the pre-testing my doc saw an abnormality. It was not cancerous, but he said my ovary (I had one removed years ago because of a large benign tumor that torsed the ovary) was in bad shape so he removed that too. I had two children, so I was happy to be done with my uterus. :) I would rather stay away from the HRT, if it's safe to do so. When you said "...then you may be just fine with the HRT!" did you mean without the HRT? I am not in terribly good shape, and am off and on with the nutritious diet, but I do plan on changing that. My doctor is very easy going (I ADORE him) and is happy to do whatever I want, I just wanted another opinion. Thanks again!

Sorry, I did mean "without the HRT"!

Many women go without it - if they don't need it, there should be no effects by not taking it.

Why don't you check out our Groups section and join some health, diet or fitness groups? You can start here: http://www.empowher.com/groups

Thanks a bunch!!!

Menopause Guide