for 4 days now my right nipple when i touch it feels bruised or sunburnt

By Anonymous December 10, 2014 - 2:53pm

I am 65yrs on no medication healthy but noticed after taking Swiss women's ultivite multivitamin my right nipple became slightly itchy then like a bruise feeling or maybe like it was sunburnt, I saw my doctor who felt my breast no lumps and put me on Keflex have taken 4 of them so far but not much better what can this be. It just feels uncomfortable just being aware of it . Regards Dakota

Hi Dakota

Thanks for your post and your warning. 

You need to stop the multivitamin and see if your pain stops. I cannot think of anything in a vitamin that would cause this kind of nipple pain. Did you bring the bottle into your doctor for him/her to take a look?

You may have nerve pain or you may have inflammation.  Kelfex is an antibiotic used to treat bacterial infections.  Did your doctor say you have an infection? 

Give yourself another few days for recovery and if you don't see an improvement, see your doctor again. 

Will you keep us posted, Anon?

Thanks Susan,
No my Dr didn't say I had an infection I suppose he just thought he would treat it as one . If I have inflammation what do they do for that
Regard's Dakota

Hi again Dakota! 

Inflammation could be due to a bacterial infection or a virus in your body. It could also be a sign of an auto immune disease. 

It could also be caused by Paget's Disease of the Nipple. This is pretty rare but  read more on that here: 

Medications could cause nipple pain - are you on any new ones?

I know I have given you a variety of things it could be, but it could also be a simple infection. 

Again, give the medication time but if there is no relief, go to your doctor again, armed with the information I've given you above. 

Breast Pain

Breast Pain Guide