4 Negative Pregnancy tests... could they be wrong?

My last period was January 26 and I only had sex once last month on February 14th. I haven't gotten my period so I took two pregnancy tests. Once during the morning on March 8th (one Early First Response and one ClearBlue digital) and both came back negative. I took two more pregnancy tests again this morning (same kind) and they were negative again. It's been 46 days since my last period and I've never missed one. I am having no symptoms of pregnancy or menstruation other than being bloated.

Could I still be pregnant even after the negatives if I'm a week/two weeks late?

Your OB/GYN does not have to see you to garner if you are pregnant or not. She also may mean that if you are pregnant, she will not see you until about 10-11 weeks along; this is standard procedure for pregnancies, especially when the person is under 35 years old.

You can simply ask for a referral to be sent to the front desk and then go directly for a blood draw. No doctor or nurse appointment needed. If you have not had a period since the end of January and we are now in mid-March, then you should get a blood draw at the very least - especially if you have never missed a period before AND you had unprotected sex in February!

As Diane said, your discomfort may be signs your period is coming but I'd go ahead and get that blood draw.

I wish you the best with your outcome!

Well still no signs of a period and I have started experiencing breast tenderness that seems out of the norm for me. Obgyn said she can't take me for another few weeks without a positive pregnancy test. Urine tests still are showing a negative. All this uncertainty is killing me.

(reply to Anonymous)

I'm concerned that the doctor won't see you for another few weeks unless you're positively pregnant. Do you have a history with this doctor or would she be new to you? If she's new to you, I might consider trying to find another doctor who could see you sooner. This may just be a hormonal imbalance that will correct itself in time, but I know how hard the waiting is.

Do you normally experience breast tenderness as a sign of PMS? Might this be a sign that your period is indeed on the way?

Thanks for your quick response Susan. No, we did not use protection (spur of the moment stupidity) but he never ejaculated so my worry would be from the pre-ejaculatory fluid.

That could be a factor, Anon, but for now, take comfort in the 4 negative tests.

Please update us when you get your period and if you don't, consider testing again or getting a blood test.

I wish the best outcome for you!

Dear Anon

Great question- thank you!

There is a possibility that you could be pregnant although it's a very slim one. Over the counter tests are usual very accurate when done correctly, so four negative tests would make it reasonable to think you are not pregnant.

Some women randomly skip a month but if this has never happened to you before, you want want to make a lab appointment for a blood draw, to officially rule out pregnancy.

Did you use protection when you had sex Feb 14th?