45 days since last period

OK. I am 26 and have never had a "normal" cycle. There is usually a 35 to 40 day max between them and they last 8-10 days and very heavy. After I had my last child a year ago i had a tubal. All three pregnancies were c-sections and i also had an ablation done. Anyway, my last period started june 29th and ended july 8th. i have been safely sexually active but took a pregnancy test this morning and it was negative. I have also noticed since my last pregnancy that i have been getting dark hairs on my chin and nipples and yesterday my five year old asked me why i have a mustache. Whats going on?!?

I know I have been checked for thyroid problems and they were ok but not anything else. I was a very thin person until I had children but since then I am anything but thin. I finally started on day 46 but will be making an appointment as soon as I am off my period. Thanks so much for the information as I will definetly be mentioning PCOS to my doctor.

4girlsandacat -

Firstly, thanks for your question and welcome to Empowher!

As soon as I finished reading your question, PCOS was yelping in my head. Do you know if you have this? - PCOS is Polycystic ovary syndrome and our encyclopedia describes it as is a chronic endocrine disorder in women. It is characterized by elevated levels of male hormones (androgens), infertility, obesity, insulin resistance, hair growth on face and body, and anovulation—a condition in which the ovaries produce few or no eggs.

Up to 10% of women of childbearing age (you!) have this condition. Some know it, some don't. Very irregular periods are also a main symptom of PCOS. Although there is no definitive proof of a genetic link, women with PCOS often have a sister or mother with it.

And facial and body hair (in uncommon places) is also symptomatic of this condition.

You could also have a hormonal balance (that has nothing to do with PCOS) that is causing these symptoms. In addition to this, a problem with your thyroid could be the culprit. Of course, it could be something I haven't mentioned at all, but I would suggest you go for a full check up. Explain these symptoms to your doctor and ask for full blood work to be done and ask that PCOS be considered as well.

What do you think?