57yr.old no period for 9mths get one again then 2wks after another one I also have large fibroids

I am a 57yr.old woman who did not have a period in 9mths,then last month I got one not a real heavy one did not last too long it is only 2wks & I got some spotting yesterday light tinge of blood now today I have nothing. Also I was diagnosed with large fibroids could this be the culprit? Does anyone know anything about this?

Hi Pacots

To be considered post menopausal, you generally need 12 months free of your period so you may not be quite there yet. Some women find that they have a sudden period out of the blue, or spotting as they transition to being post menopause.

With regard to your fibroids, they may absolutely be the cause of your bleeding. In fact, fibroids are often the main cause of changes in menstrual bleeding but since you are in such a transition at the moment, it's hard to say whether this bleeding can be attributed to irregularity due to menopause or the fibroids.

Uterine fibroids are fairly common in women (and they are usually harmless (but not always) - do you know how big yours are? Many women find their fibroids shrink after menopause or they just need to be monitored, but some can grow to such an extent that they need to be removed before a hysterectomy becomes necessary. A hysterectomy should be avoided unless absolutely crucial to your health.

So to answer your question, yes, your fibroids may well be the culprit when it comes to your bleeding. What has your doctor told you about your fibroids - where in your uterus are they, do you know? In the walls of your uterus or the cavity? Can you feel them? Do you feel any protrusions? And are they causing you any other symptoms?

Also, please visit our uterine fibroids page here : http://www.empowher.com/condition/uterine-fibroids

Menopause Guide