6 weeks pregnant and hcg dropped.

I'm six weeks pregnant and my hornets dropped from 2040 to 1900 in two days. I had a ultra sound done and doctor said he can see the sac but it's very small. Also have experienced very light bleeding. Does this mean I'm having a miscarriage? This is my first pregnancy. Should I expect pain if it is a miscarriage?

Thank you for your question. 

Up to one third of pregnancies end in miscarriage, many in the very early stages. There is nothing you can do to prevent it and there is nothing you have done to cause it. 

A sack at 6 weeks would be tiny anyway. But there is a concern if you hcg levels have dropped and this may be an indicator of miscarriage. But the drop was not huge. But at this stage the numbers should be gaining quickly.  Your bleeding may also be an indicator of miscarriage but is certainly not a guarantee. 

Anon, did the doctor hear a heartbeat?

If you do, unfortunately, miscarriage, at 6 weeks you should not feel pain - just some cramping and heavy bleeding like a heavy period. 

I do hope your levels gain again and that this is a viable pregnancy for you. If not, I hope you have support to help you through what may be a difficult time. 

Good luck to you and please keep us posted. 

Thank you for your response. The doctor did not hear a heart beat. When the nurse called me to let me know the hcg dropped she was basically telling me they think its not a viable pregnancy. So far the bleeding has been very light and red. But yesterday and today the color changed to dark brown. It's still very light but much darker. Does that sound normal?

Brown blood generally means old blood, meaning the last of what is there. 

If you doctor does not hear a heartbeat still when you are next checked, it's likely you had a miscarriage or what is known as a chemical pregnancy - this is where the sperm fertilized the egg but the egg is unable to turn into a viable pregnancy. 

Miscarriage Guide