7 weeks pregnant... So scared....

By Anonymous March 16, 2011 - 10:27am

Hi. I wason the mirena IUD for a little over a year now, and recently found out that I am 7 weeks and a few days pregnant. I am contemplating whether or not to keep the baby, as I am 22 years old already a single mother to a 1 year old and not financially in a good situation to care for two children. My other dilema is that, on January 7 of this year, I was dating someone as me and my sons father are no longer together. we were intimate on this date, and the we stopped seeing each other. On january 15, 16, (another date in january), january 28 and february 5 and 6, I was seeing my sons father again and we were also intimate. My doctor stated that I conceived 5 weeks ago, but I feel that im not sure if the baby is definately my sons father. I was unsure of my cycle, but through some online investigation, i found out that the approx last day of my cycle was january 26, meaning the first day was january 19, and that sounds about correct. My question is, what should I do? If i tell my sons father, he will flip, regardless is we were broken up or not. And could the other guy really be aa potential father?... This is very embarrassing for me as I was on birth control and belived that you could NOT get pregnant on the Mirena. But any thoughts or suggestion I would greatly appreciate. Thank you.

Hi Anonymous

Thanks for your post and I'm sorry you're in this dilemma. Only a DNA test will be able to determine paternity. I believe this can be done while still pregnant but you'll need to be a lot further along and certainly can be done as soon as your baby is born.

I know you are in a very difficult predicament with having two potential fathers. Be careful of your words before you know anything for sure.

As to what to do about your pregnancy, no-one can tell you that but you. Do you have some support? Someone you can talk things through with? Make sure they don't influence your decisions as that is for you alone, but talking with a compassionate and wise sounding board can really help you and put things into perspective. Is there someone like that in your life?

I hope to hear back from you!