abt frequent ultrasound/sonograph scans during pregnancy

By April 25, 2011 - 7:24am

wht abt too frequent ultrasound/sonograph scan during pregnancy? (like within every 2 or 4 wks since the early pregnancy) ...does it effect the fetus in any way?
actually i m around 18 wks pregnant & my gyno is keeping me in check for every 2 or 4 wks for my fetal heartbeat n growth (as i hv a history of 2 consecutive missed abortions due 2 the lack of fetal cardiac activity)

thanx fr ur reply...
actually by the very 1st blood test my total blood count doesnt seem normal 2 my doctor... so, that might b "the reason" behind my so frequent scans 2 monitor the initial fetal growth...though she has stopd it now (after hving 5 scans till yet) but still i was pretty worried abt the possible side effects of so frequent scans...anyhow, ur provided links helpd me alot @ this so scary stage...THANX again 4 ur co-operation :)

Hi snq

Thanks for your post and congratulations on your pregnancy!

Scans are generally safe. They are usually done in pregnancy only once or possibly twice if the mother is older. Other than that, there should be no other need for them unless the pregnancy is complicated.

But since your pregnacy may be high risk, your doctor may want to monitor you more closely.

Since you are out of the general danger zone now for miscarraige, has your doctor experssed a reason why the baby's growth needs to be checked so often? Most doctors can check this manually.

Here is a study that shows frequent sonograms are safe in pregnancy: http://health.dailynewscentral.com/content/view/188/62

Here is an older study that suggests otherwise: http://www.chem-tox.com/pregnancy/ultrasound.htm

Generally, the concern over all these scans are partly due to "vanity" scanning that includes 3 D pictures or scans to find out the sex of the baby (in other words: unneccessary scans). But if the health of your baby may in some part depend on these scans, then it may be something you have to do.

Talk to your doctor about other means to check on the baby's health and progess that does not include scans, if that is a worry for you. Having a scan every two weeks for an entire pregnancy is a huge amount - so you must be very high risk?