If someone has irregular periods, when would a pregnancy test be most accurate? My periods are very unpredictable, and I would like to know when I could take a pregnancy test and be sure of the results.

If you take a home pregnancy test, get a negative result and then, get a period, you can be confident that your are not pregnant. However, if you get a negative result but don't get a period, then you need to call your doctor and get a blood pregnancy test.

Since "accuracy" and "irregularity" aren't two things that fit together very well, there would be no real accurate time other than to wait between 2-3 weeks of the last time you had (unprotected) sex.

I hope this helps and thanks for writing!

If I did wait three weeks after the last time I had unprotected sex, and the test was negative, can I be fairly confident that I am not pregnant? Thanks!