Breast Pain

Breast Pain Guide

ask: Aching breasts

By lulugal

I am 48 years old. I've had a hysterectomy, but retain my ovaries. My breasts have given me pain for years, but seemed to stop after the hysterectomy...until a week ago. I have very large breasts (F cup), so the weight of them alone creates some pain. Does anyone know something that can help me? I've not had my hormone levels tested, but am not able to take them anyway because of a blood clot in my lung years ago. So, I'm looking for natural remedies that really help. Thanks for reading!

Hi lulugal

Thanks for your question and I'm sorry you have been experiencing so much pain, even before your hysterectomy.

You may be suffering from mastaglia, which is another way of saying breast pain. There are two different kinds of mastalgia: cyclical (which is caused by your menstrual cycle) and non cyclical (which sounds like this might be the case with you).

Empowher's page on Breast Pain states that :

Symptoms of mastalgia may include:

Pain in the breast area, ranging from minor discomfort to severe pain

DiagnosisYour doctor will ask about your symptoms and medical history, and perform a physical exam. Breast cancer does not commonly cause pain. However, your doctor may also perform a mammogram.

TreatmentTalk with your doctor about the best treatment plan for you. Treatment options include:

Ruling Out Cancer
Worry of cancer can be the main concern associated with mastalgia. Performing a mammogram to rule out cancer as a cause can provide reassurance.

Medications
Topical nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) may reduce the pain associated with mastalgia. Also, toremifene (Fareston), which is used in the hormonal treatment of breast cancer, may help reduce cyclical mastalgia.

PreventionThe best way to prevent mastalgia is to avoid trauma to the breast. Wearing a sports bra when exercising can also prevent breast pain and tenderness."

You can read much more on our Breast Pain page here: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/mastalgia#definition

Some natural methods include rubbing topical iodine on the breasts before bed and including a natural herbal diuretic like Sarsaparilla in the diet. A low fat, high fiber diet is recommended for women with breast pain. Caffeine can also contribute to breast pain, so minimizing coffees/teas with caffeine and well as chocolate may help you.

Does our breast pain page help you, lulugal? Or the rest of this information I've given you? Have you tried any of these methods to help with your breast pain?

braveheart226

Wish I could help! I just wanted to let you know that I was taking hormones (Prempro) for a short time for menopause,
and the only side effect I DID have was that my breasts were killing me! So don't feel badly that you can't take
hormones, since if your body is like mine it will not give you the relief you're desiring.