Adult Sex Education?

By October 2, 2009 - 11:18am

I've recently read an article about Adult Sex Education. These classes go beyond the basics we learned during childhood and adolescence and cover issues with our sexuality that we run into as adults- sex after life-changing events like marriage, having babies, finding new partners, how we look at certain aspects of sexuality and why, and broadening ideas and beliefs. I've always felt that I have a very healthy and educated understanding of sex and sexuality, but there is actually a LOT that many of us still don't know. To me, these kind of classes sound very empowering, beneficial to relationships, and even fun. Here is the web address for the article: http://www.oprah.com/article/omagazine/200907-omag-adult-sex-education

Does anybody else think this sounds intriguing? Any ideas on how to find something like this nearby?

Hi Magick

I agree that this is intriguing and probably necessary for many adults who did not get comprehensive sex education. Additionally, most of us get a clinical version of sex ed - but rarely do we get an education on sexual well-being. Classes are focused on the biological aspects.

I'd suggest a google search near you, to see if there are classes or groups available. Let us know if you find one!

No luck. I can find the "original" Sex Education courses that cover the same old material... how it works, condoms, etc., etc. But these entirely different relationship and well-being based courses for adults seem to be a rather new movement and hard to find in many areas. It's very disappointing because, from what I have researched, they sound so refreshing... anyone could stand to learn more about sexual freedom and personal growth- at any age.

(reply to magick63)

I agree...I've only found "classes" at the university level such as "Human Sexuality".

There are many couples retreats, primarily Tantra Sex Retreat, that claim to help the couple become more intimate on emotional and spiritual level with each other.

I did attend an adult sexual-health workshop, but was delivered by an author who recently wrote a book (Hot Monogamy) and was on her book tour. It was very interesting, and may be an alternative to a "class".

Lastly, my only other idea is to contact the national organization in this professional field (American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists (AASECT)), or a nearby University's Human Sexuality professor, to inquire about upcoming community workshops or discussions. Of course, AASECT's primary goal is the treatment of sexual dysfunction, but perhaps there are also some workshops or discussions through this national organization that provides information that is proactive and enriching in nature (for either couples or singles).

Not exactly a "movement" as you are saying...but a start!