After drinking two sippy cups of juicy juice with DHA, my two year old son screamed with a hard tummy and vomitting for an hour. Is this juice too strong for little ones?

Fruit juices and fruits on the market "are" too acidic. Sugar actually buffers acid, and by removing it from the juice the ph drops. Citric acid and vitamin C added acidify the juices. the companies are also using concentrates or juice from obviously under ripe fruit so the natural sweetness doesn't come up like its suppose to. call and write the companies and complain! Tell them their juice is too sour! Not everyone genetically can tolerate high acid levels in foods and beverages. The acidity has almost doubled in products from 10 years ago.

It is not 100% juice. It has ascorbic acid is highly acidic and does not assimilate well in the body, nor does maic acid

im 16 and i love juicy juice but for the past few days the same thing has been happening to me. i didnt know what was wrong but my stomach has been burning like crazy! i think im quitting with juice. :(

I think quitting juice might be a good idea for you too! Unless you are pressing your own apples or juicing your own fresh fruits (in moderation) then it's a good time to stop buying pre-packaged juices. Most have added sugar (tons of it) and add high fructose corn syrup, all sorts of dyes , added "flavors" as well as preservatives. Doing it yourself is much better and you get pure juice and only pure juice.

On the kids and juice issue - I am not a believer in giving children any kind of juice (I'd make an exception for the occasional party, or if they need special hydration due to illness) unless it's pure fresh juice with nothing added. Not only are the additions not always healthy but these juices pile on the calories. Children would think nothing of drinking 16 oz of juice, filled with sugar, preservatives and calories.

A better idea is lots of fresh water, milk (or a soy equivalent) and moderate quantities of delicious fresh juice. All the other stuff will lead to upset tummies, diarrhea and hundreds of extra calories that our bodies (and our teeth) can do without.

Give up the juice for a week or two, Anon, and let us know how your stomach feels! Good luck!

Just adding to this post, has anyone that experienced this with their children had their children allergy tested for any allergies to certain foods? It would just appear to me that this MAY be associated with food allergies.

My 16 mos old toddler experienced the same symptoms yesterday it is the first time we did not dilute the juice has anyone else noticed these symptoms.... she was cryiing like she was in agony.....lasted approx 20 minutes....

(reply to Anonymous)

To Anon, March 31st post:
Did you review the information provided above? It could have been diarrhea, the quantity...any number of issues.

Let us know if you reviewed the information above, as this is the most current and relevant information on juice drinking for toddlers.

Did you call your daughter's pediatrician, since I assume there was vomiting involved?

my daughter is now 2, yet about 3 months ago i gave her juicy juice and she was miserable for hours, and vomitted twice that night, I thought she had a reaction to the meatloaf for dinner, so the next day I did the same thing with juicy juice... and it was a repeat, I changed her diet and gave her pedialite with motts apple juice ( her original brand) and never had another episode. around 5 weeks ago we were on a road trip and i gave her juicy juice again thinking it was just a bad meal. well it wasnt, she threw up again, so i knew that it was the juicy juice, and I have no idea why, because she drank it diluted when i was introducing it to her as a one year old. I dont know if they are doing something different then a couple of years ago, but now I am very hesitant about any other juice. Be relieved in the fact that its not just your daughter.

(reply to Anonymous)

Anon, May 16,

Thank you for this information! It seems as this brand may be the culprit in upset stomachs for the little ones. Something to keep in mind, because I do give my preschooler juice...and different brands at that. I haven't noticed any adverse reactions to Juicy Juice specifically, but enough of the other moms have that it helps for them to experiment with different brands.

thanks again for sharing!

Anonymous (reply to Alison Beaver)

Hi I'm 27 and I had just a couple sips of the fruit punch juicy juice this morning I even diluted it cuz I like it like less sweet and then I layed down to watch TV. I felt sick within 5 minutes and ran to the bathroom vomiting. Weird .....definitely the company or close to expiration date

Food Allergies

Food Allergies Guide