After my 2nd miscarriage I found out the risk factor of being an Rh Negative blood type and pregnant. I was 6 weeks when I had my 1st miscarriage. I was never given the Rhogam shot. Was that necessary?

My 1st miscarriage was on October 25, 2011. My 2nd miscarriage was on 3/30/12 and I was 3 months into my pregnancy when suddenly I miscarried. I was told I had to get the rhogam shot soon after my 1st miscarriage. Please educate me on this. I am now seeing a high risk pregnany Doc. and he said I should be good to try again end of this month.

Hi again!

I'm sorry, I now realize what you said was you only just became aware of the dangers of your blood type, not the blood type itself.

Yes, you should have been informed of this and I'm sorry you were not.

I hope your next pregnancy is a full-term success now that you and your doctors have things straight. Please stay in touch with us and I hope you have good news for us soon!

Thanks for your question and I'm very sorry about your two miscarriages; that much be very hard for you. I hope you have lots of support at home.

Being an RH negative mom, your babies may have been RH positive which causes your body to believe that the pregnancy is a threat and thus can cause it to expell the pregnancy from the body, causing a miscarrige.

Since it was discovered after your second miscarriage that you are negative, doctors are now giving you a medication (Rhogam) that will try to stop your body from rejecting a pregnancy.

If they did not know your blood type before this, they would not have known to give you this drug.

Miscarriages are so common that unfortuntely it can take a couple of them for doctors to investigate a possible pattern.

Now that you all know what's going on, the next pregnancy can be monitored carefully and the appropriate steps taken.

The best of luck to you for a healthy pregnancy in future. We hope you stay in touch with us!  

I appreciate your reply Susan. It was so helpful.

I wanted to make mention that my former Ob did know my blood type before I got pregnant the first time; she sent me for blood work and the reason I was having issues conceiving in the first place was because of my thyroids. Shortly after I saw an endocrinoligist and she put me on Synthroid. Three months later I got pregnant. If I recall, on my medical records there was a big white tab that read RH Negative... My current high risk Doc. told me that it's posible for certain practices to not administer the Rhogam shot, especially in early pregnancies. Being that I was only 6 weeks pregnant I was never given one. I stronlgy beleive that my baby's blood cells leaked through the placenta and into my bloodstream, in the end killing my baby. I was devastated & so disappinted to hear from my former Ob that she was so sorry and it was all wrong timing etc...I am glad I was given the Rhogam this time. I pray all goes well the third time around...

Miscarriage Guide