ask: after surgery for a detached retina how long do you wait until you can fly, does flight duration come in to it

If you do not have a bubble, you can fly. If you do have a gas bubble in the eye, flying is not allowed because the bubble will expand rapidly in size at the reduced cabin air pressure. The high pressure caused by the expanding bubble will occlude the central artery and may even rupture the surgical wounds. This gas bubble will go away within 4-8 weeks.

Hope this helps!

Rosa

Anonymous (reply to Rosa Cabrera RN)

Hello, (just FYI)
I truly hope this helps someone regarding travel post a gas bubble used for retinal detachment surgery. I had this surgery three weeks ago about 4 hours from my residence and was told by specialist that travel by car should be ok. About two weeks after the surgery which also included the buckle, a family drove me home. About 3 hours into the drive I literally felt that someone was ripping my eye from its socket; the pain was excruciating. Later, it was confirmed that it was the trip. This is just to let those of concern know that it doesn't have to be a 'plane that can cause damage. Had the trip been just a little longer it could have caused much more severe trauma to my eye.

Detached Retina