Allergic to Titanium?

By December 14, 2009 - 12:16pm

Anyone out there had any trouble with titanium hardware or clips left in the body after surgery? I had knee surgery years ago and they used titanium screws to hold two bone grafts together. My body wasn't too happy about it and started growing bone around the hardware (bone spurs) to isolate it, which caused excruciating pain. Luckily, the bone grafts took well and they were able to remove the screws. I've just found out that I have 2 clips in my pelvis (bilaterally) that were left in from my total hysterectomy (for uterine cancer) almost 2 years ago. I've been experiencing menstrual cramp-like pain in my abdomen, lower back pain, daily headaches, "brain-fog", moments of dizziness/faintness, fatigue and I'm wondering if it's related to the clips...

OK...Dr called back, is very adamant that it is not the clips (which are titanium after all). He has a good point...they've been in almost 2 years and I've just started having symptoms the last couple months...but he's decided to do another CT scan and check for anything obvious in my abdomen that might be causing the cramps, etc. We'll see...I was kind of hoping it would be something simple like the clips were causing me problems and they could be taken out (which they can't, even if they are the source of my troubles). Anyhow...thanks for giving me a place to vent.

I'm glad it helped you - please do let us know how you fare. We'll be happy to look into this further for you too, and I know your information will help a lot of our readers.

I look forward to your update once you talk things through with your doctor!

Hi Susan...thanks for your quick reply. I have a call in to my Gyn Onc, trying to track down what metal was used. I posted here several months ago regarding the after-effects of chemo and I know that some of my symptoms following my hysterectomy had to do with hormones (or lack thereof!), but what I've been feeling for the last couple of months is getting worse and I'm hoping that I'm just having a reaction to the clips. Another thing is, I had no idea there was anything left inside me after my surgery until my second CT when the clips were mentioned briefly. So, we'll see...I'm waiting for the Dr to call back and I'll let y'all know what I find out. Thanks for the great link...lots of good info there!

Dear Cecile,

Thank you so much for your post and welcome. I'm sorry you have had so much on your plate recently.

Since you've had such a bad reaction to the titanium plates before, this may be what is happening to your in terms of your hysterectomy and the subsequent side effects, although some of these side effects are actually common with any hysterectomy, regardless of what metals used (if any).

I'm allergic to certain metals too, so it's certainly possible.

Here is a similar post I'd like to you read with tons of information following:

Have you spoken to your OB/GYN about this?

Allergies Guide