By EmpowHER March 3, 2008 - 8:10am

Are you suffering from allergies? Share your stories.

Can you share how she was able to help you overcome hormonal imbalance? Through medication, another form of treatment?

The best thing I have ever done was to see Dr Theresa Ramsey. Beyond the food allergy testing that has changed my life she has helped me to overcome years of hormonal imbalance.

To Tina T, who is looking for a good Doctor. I go to two female Naturopath's. I just love them. I go
to them now for everything including my Pap. The office number is 480-970-0077, Dr. Theresa Ramsey
and Roxie Strand. Theresa is teaching so much all over the country that you might need to get into
Dr. Strand. I took my food allergy tests through them also.

Jinger R

I have AWFUL, AWFUL allergies to cedar, in Texas known as "cedar fever". Molds, grass and other pollen doesn't seem to "do me in" like cedar. It's awful (I think I already mentioned that!)...I feel like I am coming down with an intense flu from November/December until February.

I actually like my prescription drugs, as they work really well for me. I finally went to an allergist, and didn't have to get the test because my symptoms met the exact criteria for cedar. And, once I started using my nasal spray, pill and eye drops daily...I feel great! No side effects or drowsiness, and my doctor is absolutely wonderful. My mother-in-law says that some allergists are "drug pushers", but I didn't feel that way about my doctor, and these drugs work...so "all" drugs aren't so bad!

Is "cedar fever" in other areas as well? When I lived on the East Coast, no one had heard that phrase before.

Would your naturopath be able to recommend a good naturopath in the Phoenix area? I'm one of those who has had the scratch tests and shots for allergies to grass, pollen and dust (which is awful living in Arizona) Would like to explore other ideas. Thanks.

(reply to Tina Tran)

My doctor is a DO who later earned his license as a naturopath and consults a leading British naturopath on serious and complex issues. I think it's important to find a physician who has added naturopathic care to his practice.

Since Arizona is one of the states that licenses naturopaths, you should be able to find one easily enough, I would think. I will ask if my doc knows anyone there, in the meanwhile.

I have some of both.

People sometimes confuse food intolerances with allergic reactions. Your system may not be able to digest certain foods well, hence you have an intolerance; but, allergic reactions manifest themselves in reactions like hives, swelling and even life-threatening anaphylactic shock.

For example, some people, myself included, are lactose intolerant and have trouble digesting whole milk and dairy products. I was raised on goat's milk and don't drink cow's milk at all. But, I do love ice cream, although I rarely indulge. Mushrooms and I also don't get along well, as they cause rather uncomfortable bloating and other reactions, and soy products cause problems. I have a high acidity level in my system, so acidic foods are a problem; but, I love pink grapefruit, go figure. But, I'm not allergic to these foods.

On the other hand, I have allergic reactions to certain foods, some serious. For example, I am allergic to eggplant, hot house tomatoes (very acidic) and Indian curry. I was hospitalized after eating curry that contained some ingredient we never did identify; so, I pretty much stay clear of it, or use only American curry powder, albeit very rarely. I'm allergic to chamomile, so no chamomile tea for me! As with other foods, it's no fun to have breakouts inside your mouth or walk around with swollen lips and eyes - yikes!

As for environmental allergies, I am allergic to animal dander, so much so that I'm constantly congested and have chronic respiratory issues, and I developed such a reaction to horse dander that I had to give up a sport I dearly loved. However, we have a dog (our son's) and a cat (our daughter's), both dropped into the household by their owners. This is not fun for a runner! I also have allergic reactions to personal care products that contain aloe vera and chamomile; angora (makes me sneeze and itch worse than wool), and a litany of other things like mosquito and red ant bites. I have to stick to natural fibers as much as possible. Finally, I have allergies to ragweed (hence, the chamomile problem) and the typical pollen issues. Loratidine is like a supplement for me, lol!

As far as my naturopath is concerned, I'm a walking laboratory, hahaha! I just try to steer clear of the things I know cause problems for me. I drink hot lemon water just about daily (sometimes I forget), and would often brew my own fresh ginger tea (although there's currently a moratorium on ginger from China, so I can't get any). Thank goodness for a good naturopath!

Allergies Guide