Am I allergic to exercise?

By October 6, 2008 - 9:25am

I have exercise enduced asthma. My triggers are exercise, smoke, and things I am allergic to like dust, trees, grass, etc. Recently I have been noticing when I run I get hives.
Basically I was wondering if the two are connected, am I allergic to exercise?

I have not noticed the hives when I run later in the day. I only get the hives occasionally.
I havnt talked to a doctor about it because I just recently started noticing them.

Melanie - do you get the same sort of allergic reactions when you run later in the day?

Have you talked to your doctor about the hives?

I dont eat before I run...I run in the morning as soon as I wake up and I use my Albuterol inhaler before I go

Hi Melanie

Exercise can indeed cause hives, otherwise known as "exercise-induced urticaria".

Familydoctor.org has a lot of information on this condition, you can find it here:

Also,as the website above advises - what you eat before you exercise can be what triggers the hives during or after exercise. Track what you eat for a couple of weeks and see if certain foods might be the culprit.

Are you currently on medication?

Asthma Guide