Am I having a miscarriage to a pregnancy I didn't know about or is it just a very long & messy period?

By Anonymous November 15, 2010 - 3:07am

Hey. I'm a 20 year old woman, soon to turn 21. For the last few weeks I've been bleeding a lot. Heavier than usual with a lot of dark, large clots. I don't usually get periods like this. I'm concerned though, as the last time I heard something like this, it was when my step mother had a miscarriage. This scares me as I don't even know if I was pregnant or not! I've recently moved house, thus needed to move doctors and haven't registered myself to my closest surgery. I'm so scared and I can't even tell my parents (I don't live with them any more, I moved out when I was 18 and currently live with two housemates). I'm sure I'm only stressing myself out, that I'm not pregnant or having a miscarriage and this is just because I stress myself out so much over my work. Other than going to see my doctor, is there anything else I could do?

Many women have miscarriages, not even knowing they are pregnant; it's actually more common that people think.

Have you been having unprotected sex? If so, you may have miscarried but I'm concerned about bleeding over several weeks - this should not happen with an early pregnancy - I'm assuming if you were pregnant, you would have just be so?

Bleeding heavily with a lot of clotting for several weeks in a row is not normal. Please consult a health care provider as soon as possible to be evaluated. Doing this today is a good idea.

Please keep us posted,