am i pregnant?

By May 1, 2009 - 7:40pm

i am 22 and have irregular periods. i didnt have one for 4 months then had one for 2 weeks then none for a month now i am spotting could i be pregnant? I don't use birth control and i have been wanting a baby. Took pregnancy test before but they were negitive. I want to take one again but dont want to waste money to get a negitive. Please help me Thanks

You are very welcome. If you are 55 days late and still getting negative pregnancy tests, you are probably not pregnant, and you might likely be feeling some symptoms of pregnancy at this stage. It sounds like you might be having another long gap between periods. Seems like a good thing to some but very frustrating to someone who would like to be pregnant.

There are several free clinics in the Columbus area which is less than an hour away from you.

The Ohio Center for Free Clinics has a comprehensive list - you can find it here -

Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Empowher!

You could be pregnant, or you could be someone who has irregular periods. The spotting could be signs of pregnancy, as some women get "implantation bleeding" - or it could be the onset of your next period. Implantation occurs for some women when the egg travels to the uterus and buries itself into the lining. It's fairly common for some women.

I understand not wanting to spend money on more pregnancy tests - they can be quite expensive! I do know women who have used the Dollar Store tests though, and said they were very accurate. You may be getting negative results and still be pregnant - you just may be testing too early and your hcg levels are still too low for the pregnancy test to pick up (hcg is the pregnancy hormone that tests look for to determine pregnancy).

Of course, you may not be pregnant and will need to keep trying. Irregular periods make it very frustrating, unfortunately.

My suggestion is that you wait a little longer to test again, since it sounds like you are not very late yet, in terms of your next period - and retest. Or head to a clinic or your doctor for a test. There are many free clinics that offer pregnancy tests - where do you live? Let us know what state you live in and we will look for you!

Thank you for your advice.
I haven't been able to get an answer from my doctor. I did take a pregnancy test it is negative. When do you think I should try to take another one? It has been 55 days since the first day of my last period that lasted for two weeks. I live in Zanesville, Ohio.