Amberen- Off Cycle

By September 26, 2011 - 11:19am

I have been taking Amberen for one weekfor menapausal symptoms and have found it helps tremendously with sleep and anxiety. My concern is what will happen in the off cycle. It is recommended to take it three months on, three months off. I would hate to think , I revert back.I desperately need a good nights sleep consitently.
Thank you

Thank you for your question!

Amberen has indeed helped with mood/feelings of depression for many women although some women don't find Amberen helpful at all; like many treatments, it gets very mixed reviews. I've also read stories from women who have the same concerns of yours - what happens during the off-periods?

Your best bet is to consult your doctor or naturopath about the off-cycles. A substitute may be available for mood or you might find that you're ok during that cycle.

For a lot more info and to read stories from dozens of other women, check out our huge Amberen thread here: http://www.empowher.com/community/ask/amberen

Let us know if it helps!

Thank you for your question about the off-cycle period.
The symptoms return, but not as severe. I guess it depends on how long you stay off. In my case I should have gone back on in May, 2012, but didn't. It is now Oct., 2012 and I have just ordered my second set. I am 61 years old and about a year ago I started feeling all kinds of weird symptoms, hot flashes, tingling, burning, zapping, sweats, kind of pains, when I go to look, I see nothing then they disappear. The "brain zapping", (kind of creeping crawly sensation just below the surface of the scalp or skin) mades kind of a horse shoe around the front of my head, the left to the right side. I stated my first set in Nov. 2011 and ended it in Feb. 2012. I didn't even notice that the zapping, flashes, sweats and other stuff were gone. I believe that I have lost some inches around the mid section, too. Some of my clothing that I had blossomed into appear looser in that area.

One day during my off-cycle I felt this thing, like it did the first time it happened, in the same original spot on my scalp, and then disappeared. It is very annoying because like the hot flashes and sweats it comes out of no where. If you were to ask someone to check if something is crawling in your head, they see nothing.

Ladies, if you experience any of these symptoms, it is not your mind playing tricks on you. I did not believe hormone imbalance could be such a headache. I am a pretty healthy person and all I am looking for is relief so that I can be my old self again. I love to walk and dance. All of that is on hold for now. I still work full time.

I hope this will help.

Menopause Guide