Ankle Osteoarthritis

By August 31, 2016 - 9:03am

On 1-2-12 I was involved in a bad vehicle accident resulting in an opened compound fracture to my talus. I underwent 2 surgeries that year. The first doctor was, lack of a better word, a moron which impaired me to have a plate put in at my 2nd surgery. I had 4 screws in my foot for 4 years. I am now 22 years old and found out I have Osteoarthritis. I had a surgery 2 months ago to remove the bone spurs, remove 2 screws, and to "clean up" the joint. I am still in the recovery stages of this surgery, but was told that my next surgery (depending if I have reliefs from this surgery it could be in 1 year or 10 years) will most likely be an ankle fusion "due to my young age".

I am asking for any advice at all from anyone who had an ankle replacement or an ankle fusion or has had a procedure of a different sort. Did you have success? Do you recommend the procedure you had?
Also if anyone would like any advice from what I have been through and how I have "dealt" with osteoarthritis/ ankle pain in general, please feel free to contact me!

Hello sjlanich2012,

Welcome to the EmpowHER community. Thank you for reaching out to our community for advice and to share your experience.

For the benefit of all our readers, a talus fracture is a break in one of the bones that forms the ankle. This type of fracture often occurs during a high-energy event, such as a car collision or a high-velocity fall.

Because the talus is important for ankle movement, a fracture often results in significant loss of motion and function. In addition, a talus fracture that does not heal properly can lead to serious complications, including chronic pain. For this reason, many talus fractures require surgery.

Posttraumatic arthritis is a type of arthritis that develops after an injury. Even when your bones heal normally, the cartilage protecting the bones can be damaged, leading to pain and stiffness over time. The majority of talus fractures result in some degree of posttraumatic arthritis. In cases of extreme arthritis that limits activity, additional surgery, such as a joint fusion or ankle replacement, may be the best option to relieve symptoms.

Wishing you well,