Another Antibiotic and birth control effectiveness question! ;)

So I've been using the pill Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo since March. On my current pack, I'm in the last 2 days of the 2nd week.

Today, I started taking some prescribed Macrobid for a slight UTI effection and was advised to take it for the next 7 days (but I know it will be shorter because the effection is not strong and I'm already starting to notice less pain and symptoms).

I asked him if this will at all interact with my birth control and he said no. But with a lot of information out there that says "yes" and "no", I'm just looking for a second opinion to ease my mind.

I know there's information that there have been studies that show Macrobid has no effect, but then again I have read that some people have different situations and reactions when taking Micobid. Just a lot of confusing answers out there =(

By the time I will be done with the macrobid, I will about to start my placebo pills.

Any opinions? Views?

Bonus question: With any antibiotic, when I start my new pack (which will be a week after I'm down with the macrobid), am I fully protected again, just to say if there was a decrease in effectiveness?

(Oh, and no worries about backup protection, my boyfriend and I have always been using condoms, even on the pill! No wanted babies here! hahaha)

If your doctor tells you that there is no contraindication with Macrobid and the Pill, then you should be fine. I have not read that it interferes with the effectiveness of birth control.

You should take the medication as instructed - even when your symptoms leave. This means the medication is working ,it does not mean it has no other work to do. Take the entire dosage.

With regard to your 'bonus question' - if the antibiotic does interfere with the Pill, then always use a backup until you are safe - your doctor can help you with that information, depending on what antibiotics you are using.

And either way, you are also using condoms so you are well-protected! Good for you for being to careful to avoid an unwanted pregnancy!

I hope this helps!