Anxiety Disorders and its impact on Sex

By Anonymous February 10, 2014 - 11:56am

I have an Anxiety Disorder and I am currently on medication for it. I am 23 years old and I have been sexually active for 5 years. I have never experienced and orgasm, through sexual intercourse or masturbation. I have tried vibrators, and nothing I have tried has seemed to work. I realize I get frustrated during masterbation because I keep looking for the happy ending, and I end up giving up. I also realize that my anxiety probably has a lot to do with this. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some tips on how to work through these issues. Id love to be able to have a normal sex life. I appreciate you taking the time to read this!

I'm sorry you're dealing with anxiety; it's a very difficult condition to deal with. 

One thing to understand about medications - as you said - is their side effects. Side effects from depression and/or anxiety medications include a lack of sexual desire and/or and inability to orgasm. 

But the issue of inability to orgasm unfortunately cannot be cured by vibrators or movies or anything than could ordinarily turn a woman on. 

Orgasm in a woman is very mental, as well as physical, as I am sure you know. But these medications cause what is called anorgasmia - anorgasmia actually prevents a body from even physically having an orgasm and the only 'cure' is to stop the medication. 

Since this may not be possible for you, it's time to talk to you doctor about alternative medications or a change in dosage. Up to 40% of people on these medications experience anorgasmia and it often remains until the medication ends or is changed. Counselling can also help. 

Can you talk to your doctor about this? Don't give up hope! 

Anxiety Guide