Q: 

Any help for skin that gets sticky when it gets wet?

Three nights ago I noticed that after washing my hands they felt really sticky, almost like when you use the last paper towel on the roll and you get that glue residue on your hands. However, it wasn't the last paper towel so I figured maybe the liquid soap was really old and doing funky things so I rewashed with dish soap and again grabbed a paper towel. Once again, my hands got sticky as I dried them off. Thinking now that there was something wrong with these paper towels, I washed again and this time dried with a hand towel only to yet again find my hands sticky as they dried off. The stickiness only lasts 30-60 seconds, until the skin completely dries, but during that in-between time of soaking wet and totally dry they feel very tacky to the touch and my fingers will actually stick to each other.

The next day when I took a shower I noticed that the water was beading up on the skin on my arms. Sure enough, when I dried off afterwards I found that all of my skin is tacky to the thouch until it is completely air dried.

Today I shaved my legs and my skin felt almost like it had a layer of wax on it that kept catching the razor. The skin on my hands seems to be getting more sticky when they get wet. Water continues to bead on my skin when it gets wet. I asked my children if they can feel that my skin is sticky to the touch and they said yes.

This is affecting all of my skin now, including my face. I always put a moisturizer on my face after washing and it does not feel like my skin is absorbing it now, it just feels heavy and greasy since the lotion just sits there on top. I also tried putting lotion on my hands and it was not absorbed at all, just left my hands feeling very slimy and greasy so I wiped it off.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this or have any suggestions for what might be causing it? Thanks for any held you can give.

Anonymous

I have polymyositis I periodically have the same condition after shower my hands are sticky in the skin feels thick I can literally scratch all the loose skin off when my hands full with dry they are left dry and scaly looking doctors don't understand Autoimmune disorders ..... you're not going crazy I would just look down a different path these things come and go I get it about three times a year.
Albert

Anonymous

I notice that I get that sticky / tacky feeling on my hands when I use hand soap made from china. So I would wash it off with my regular soap that I use and, presto, no problem. I would be careful with the type of soap I'm using and paper towels.......

Anonymous

Last summer I was working outside a lot .... and sweating a lot, profusely. Our climate here in Texas is humid, but the sweating would start and it seemed as if it needed to run it's coarse and would stop. It was embarrassing if I was out somewhere. Anyway, one day after one of these serious bouts of sweating, I can upstairs to wash my hands and they stuck together. I thought I had gotten some glue or chemicals on them as I was painting/crafting etc. It would wash off. I sort of had to peel my hands apart. I used alcohol and other products and finally got it to a minimum. That was my first encounter with the sticky skin. Going forward, every bath resulted in sticky skin. When it dries, it's fine, but reappears when wet. I've tried various things, but nothing made an impact except one. I was on an organic diet, almost 100% veggies and using a detox kit when I noticed that my skin was not sticky. It was very noticeable. I would also like to add that I wasn't drinking any alcohol during this time period. I love to drink wine at night and can get a little carried away with the quantity. Once the diet ended, the sticky skin returned.
I don't know if there is information here that is helpful it trying to figure it out. I will keep following this post. Thank you all for your comment.s

(reply to Anonymous)

Are you still dealing with sticky skin? How long has it been going on? Have you had any health issues along with the sticky skin? I am dealing with this issue also.
Any information would be appreciated. I am going to be seen at Cleveland Clinic in the next few months hopefully will get some answers. If anyone has had a diagnosis please let me know what was told to you by your doctor. If I find out anything with my appointment I will post it here. Thank you

Anonymous (reply to Ipokey2)

lpokey2 i've had this condition when skin is sticky when slightly wet/damp for the past 5 years now. been to numerous derms but no solutions sadly. no health issues. please let us know your experience and any response at all from the clinic! we will definitely appreciate you keeping us posted with any updates and best of luck! -Steven

(reply to Anonymous)

Thank you Steven for responding to me.
I will definitely post anything I find out at Cleveland Clinic.
I have dealt with muscle issues for several years before this issue with my skin. I always felt that under my skin it was becoming thicker and lumpy. Do you have anything like that happening to you? My muscle issues consists of being extremely tight and hard. I have spasms, pain, and stiffness that has progressed through the years. Has anything unusual happened to you?
Thanks again Steven for responding to me.
Take care

Anonymous (reply to Ipokey2)

hm no i have not dealt yet with things regarding my muscles. just this unbelievable situation with my skin unfortunately feeling so sticky whenever damp/wet.. hope you do get some answers soon and get better and please keep us in the loop!

wow thank you so much for sharing. I have the exact same condition for over 3 years trying numerous things with no luck. I will try going vegetarian. how long did you have to change to his diet until you noticed changes? does it remove the condition where you feel sticky when wet 100% always now? any reply or help would be really appreciated please!

Did u noticed a waxy layer? and did it spread from hands to other body parts. Please reply! i seriously need to figure it out.

Yes, waxy coating on hands that spreads throughout body. Have had since 2011. Traditional docs have been of no help for me. If I ever find answers I will definitely put on this site. It's a horrifying experience at first, but I've gotten used to living with it. Most people will think you're nuts. Try to eat organic and Non GMO.