any tips on taking better control of type 1 diabetes???

I have been a diabetic since I was 4 and am now 32 and have just gotten on an insulin pump within the last year and a half! I workout (exercise) very hard 4-6 times a week eat very healthy but stress seems to really put my sugars out of control or so they say...also my hormone levels r extremely low "due to stress" Iam tired all the time, I also have a son who is 5 and the llove of my life so if you can help in anyway i would appreciate it. Brady (my son) is worried about his mommy!
Thank you for listening.

Dear Anon

You are very welcome - thanks for the update. It sounds like everything is out of town except your son!
Are you renting? If so, you might want to consider moving you and your son closer to work so that the crazy commute will end. You'll save a lot on transportation costs as well as gaining so many hours you can be with your son. If he is only 5 and worried about you, that's a ton of stress on such small shoulders.
If you own your home, I can understand the need to stay since houses aren't exactly selling like hot cakes these days. You might want to consider a house swap - this is a legal process where people swap houses (usually similar in nature and price) by transferring the deeds and can be done with an attorney or real estate agent. You may be able to save with some fees this way, too.
Is your boyfriend living in the same town as your work? This could help in that area too. Long distance relationships can work very well (I can attest to this) but there needs to be an ultimate end to it - a date where you both end up living in the same area.

You have a really great attitude! I know things are really hard right now but think about a move so that you have more cohesion in your life and are not stretched so thinly - that alone can cause so much stress and you'll save a lot of time and money.

We wish you the very best and please come back and give us updates and let us know how you're doing. This global economy has got to pick up at some stage, right?

Dear Anon

Since you've been living with Type 1 diabetes for close to your entire life, you probably know more than most!

You have a great diet and exercise regime, as well as obviously monitoring your insulin levels well, so I think the key factor here may indeed be stress. Stress does affect a diabetic directly- often more so that people without the condition, to take the time to work on lessening your stress levels.

Exercise is an obvious stress buster so you're fine with that. You have a five year old son, so are you working while he's in school? Are you getting any down time? Do you have a good support system?

You have said that your stress levels are high - why? Can you tell us a little about what's causing stress in your life? Is it work or home issues? Relationship issues? If you can fill us in some more, we'd love to help you more.

In the meantime, take some time to visit our Type 1 Diabetes section here : http://www.empowher.com/condition/diabetes-type-1
you'll find a lot of videos (including women sharing their stress-and-diabetes stories, as well as a lot of other informational tools.

Please let us know a little more information and we'll help you further - we'll look forward to hearing more from you!

Thank you,,, I have been seperated for 3 years now, last year i went back to school for a year n travelled 4 hours everyday to and from school just so it would be easier on my son. That was so tuff 4 me! I am now a paramedic but still need to pass the provincal exam (brutal) can' t find work anywhere so i again travel 2.5 hrs to work 3 shifts then back home to my son...money is tight of course I don't get any down time and I try to still get exercise in...I drag my butt out of bed and put a smile on my face everyday..life could be worse! My relationship status is that I am dating a nice guy but lives out of town so we try to see eachother as much as possible. He is good w my son but is very busy himself so I don't really have to good of a support system, but am working on it! Thank you for any advice

Diabetes Type 1

Diabetes Type 1 Guide