Reproductive System

Reproductive System Guide

ask: Anyone using the Mirena IUD have a low sex drive? Mine is almost non existant! :o(

By Kara

Anonymous

I have had the mirena in for 5 years now. Before this I had the rod thing in your arm. For 5 years i haven't had a period. I didn't put on weight, or loose my hair like some others did. However my sex drive is ZERO, I'm moody, even a little depressed, and often i get pain in my abdomen during and after sex. I also feel tired all the time even though i have a healthy diet, exercise and get plenty of sleep each night.

My boyfriend of 2 years just told me last night that he is bored of our sex (or lack of). Im only 24 and i should be in the prime of my sexual life! For the past few years I've thought it was just apart of my makeup and that i just naturally had a low sex drive. Now I'm thinking it is because of this mirena that i have absolutely no sex drive at all. It was just by chance that I've stubbled onto this site and read EVERYONE else is feeling the same if not similar to how i feel.

I am due to get my mirena replaced next wednesday, but now i am strongly thinking otherwise. I haven't had kids and apparently you need surgery to get it removed which is very $$$. Im nervous about taking the pill as there are so many that make you gain weight, get depressed etc. so I'm not really sure what to do about contraceptive... Im certainly not ready for kids! ..... maybe just play it safe???

Anonymous

I'm 33 years old, don't have any children & have had my mirena in for a year and a half now. My boyfriend of 9 years & I have been having problems due the fact that I no longer have ANY sex drive. After doing some research & reading some of your posts I've realized that it might not be just me. My biggest concern is that my birth control options are extremely limited due to my Factor 5 blood clotting diagnosisdoes anybody have any other birth control methods that would work or should I just deal with my mirena & try something else to raise my sex drive?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

I am sorry you are going through this.

Condoms are 99% effective so that's certainly something that will work for you although I know it's hard for monogamous long-term couples to be relegated to condoms. Look into other barrier methods. 

Talk to your doctor about your birth control options due to your condition. I'm sure you can find something that will work for you safely .  A low-dose progestin-only pill may be work for you but you will need to consult your doctor before you try this.

I hope this helps! 

Anonymous

i had mine for 2 years and my sons father left because of my nonexistent sex drive and cheated on me so i would recommended if you have the mirena IUD and are in a relationship take it out and try an alternate form of birth control.

Anonymous

I had my IUD for about 5 months & found it to be horrible from the start. Spitting everyday, no sex drive.....it's been removed now for over a year and I still have not regained my sex drive. This makes me depressed at times for me & I know it kills my boyfriend. I only wish it would come back

Anonymous

being a guy i have no idea whats going on. i need help. my girlfriend/fiance fight all the time because she doesn't want to have sex and she is always depressed. and i started to do some research. she showed me this... now is there anyway that we should go about things. because her doctor refuses to take it out.

Her doctor has no right to refuse to take out an IUD. That's very strange. 

She needs to go to aother doctor or clinic and have it done - it only takes a few minutes.

Anonymous

I'm with you ladies! I only had mine for two months. Almost immediately, I lost all interest in sex, started gaining weight and losing hair. Even worse than the physical symptoms though, I stopped feeling like myself. I'm a confident, happy outgoing person. Almost overnight, I became anxious, edgy, depressed. A sense that everything was too much, that I couldn't cope. None of this was familiar, and it was driving me swiftly insane. So I had it taken out a week ago. After just a couple of days, I m starting to feel like myself. Happier, healthier, energetic again. And this morning, woo hoo, return of libido. So thankful my fiancé is bloody amazing and has been incredibly supportive and understanding in dealing with his partner becoming a completely different person. Fortunately, only briefly. Seriously ladies, if you are suffering any of the side effects, have it removed. I hate condoms. But I hate the person I turned into and how I felt much, much more. About bloody time somebody invented some decent alternatives with no side effects. Maybe even something for the guys to take responsibility for…. I'm fed up of having to mess with my body and my hormones.

Hi I have had every symptom you have named and I did not really think about it but my boyfriend and child's father of 4yrs noticed how drastically I changed.I did not feel like myself always moody and mean and I am very loving and happy and fun I have no energy no sex drive or anything and its driving me and him away from each other .I have an appointment for 05/16/14 to get it removed,will I feel normal after? And will I be back to my normal size I weighted 140after having my child and right after getting it pit put in I gained 40 pounds. :(

Anonymous

I have just removed my iud after 2 years. I can not Waite to get my sex drive back, it is like looking part off who I am. I have suffered hair loss as well as low libido which have both made me feel really old . I'm 34 have an amazing fiance and couldn't understand why I had no sexual feelings for him. It is so reassuring reading about others having the same problem

How do you control your PMS?: