Reproductive System

Reproductive System Guide

ask: Anyone using the Mirena IUD have a low sex drive? Mine is almost non existant! :o(

By Kara

Tammy Wright (reply to Anonymous)

UPDATED: 2 weeks after having the mirena removed. Depression is gone, people have actually commented on how different I seem; that I don't walk around with this depressed look on my face. Sex drive has improved slightly, it used to be a 0 and now is about a 2 (on a scale of 0-10). Migraines (without pain but vision issues) are gone thus far. These first 2 weeks I felt a bit "sluggish" and tired, but I forced myself to do things and feeling much better than before. My emotions are coming back, towards my children and friends and family - not feeling so detached. Will continue to update in the coming weeks, in the hopes that it may help others.

I have actually contacted a lawyer regarding my Mirena experience; not for monetary gain but to make a stand; no woman should have to go through what myself or others have. They should be informed of ALL side effects, and if they make an informed decision to have the Mirena inserted they know the warning signs and not feel like they are going crazy when doctors say their symptoms have nothing to do with the Mirena. Like I say, it is not for monetary gain, it is a matter of principle!

Anonymous

I personally would not recommend getting Mirena ever! I had mine for a little over a year and just had to have it surgically removed last week. I went to my gyno specifically to get it removed because I hated it and guess what......she couldn't find it. After an ultrasound and xray they decided the only way to get it out was with a scope. It had "migrated" too high in the uterus. Mirena never stopped or slowed my periods and my sex drive was non existent. Oh, and not to mention I gained about 40 pounds. Less than a week later I am ready to enjoy my husband again, but I can't for two weeks. Highly disappointed with the whole experience and would not recommend it.

Anonymous

Has anyone had any GOOD experiences with the Mirena, and sex drive? I've been on BC Pills since the age of 16. (I am now 27) Last year I decided to "give my body a break" and had a Paragard IUD inserted. My sex drive was through the roof. The downside was that without hormones, my periods were unbearable. I had it removed after 10 months, and went back on BC Pills, to discover just how badly they suppressed my sex drive. I saw a GYN today who specializes in libido and hormonal issues and she suggested that the Mirena would be my best option. I'm seeing a lot of negativity on this page, however, and it decreasing libido. Any positive experiences out there?

BrendaL (reply to Anonymous)

I would still suggest the Paraguard for you. Also if your periods are hellish, you just need to get grounded and they will get better on their own. Go to earthing.com and learn about grounding or "earthing". It naturally normalizes your periods and the bad symptoms seem to disappear! Not to mention all the other health benefits you would get, like improved sleep and prevention of pain/inflammation and disease. Check it out and learn how we have become disconnected from the earth and have developed so many problems due to this. I purchases an earthing product from amazon.com and received a complimentary book with my order...i am amazed at what I am learning about us the the earth that we live on! It easily helps women with lousy symptoms from periods, PMS and menapause. Hope this message helps.

I've had the mirena for about 3 years now and I have no problems with sex drive. Only problem I have, and its mostly because i've never had a child so my uterus has never expanded and it small, is a little bit of pain during intercourse. When he goes in too far too fast it hurts, nothing I couldnt handle, I just take asprin before and i'm good to go. I've known a lot of woman who have or have had the mirena and nothing about sex drive there.

Anonymous

As many of you have said, I'm so glad to have found this page. I've had the mirena for going on 2 years and my sex drive is here one day and gone for months on end. I've never had a huge sex drive, I've always enjoyed sex don't get me wrong but I was nerve like an addict but since I've had my mirena it has been pretty nonexistent... My fiancé and I have had countless fights over this because he thinks the issue is him and how he looks and he think I'm not sexually attracted to him and I tell him over and over again it's not him but he just does not believe me., I never really took into consideration that it could be the mirena causing these issues until reading all these posts, so I will be making an appointment to my gyno to possibly have this thing removed! Thanks everyone for all of your insight.

Anonymous

My girlfriend has a mirena.. not sure how long she has had it but for atleast a year. When we first got together we had an amazing sex life and it slowly started to decline. and now its almost nonexistent and she never wants to talk about it and i feel like its my fault even though she assures me that its not. After reading just wondering if it is indeed the mirena and if there is a way of getting her sex drive back with the supplements from adam and eve or pricillas. (the stimulating creams, aphrodisiac stuff etc.) anyone have any tips? she hates needles, and says she would probably forget to take the pill. she doesn't do any research on the topic and hates when i bring it up. tried to explain my view on it and how it makes me feel but highly doubt it will do anything at all. i just want things to be back to normal....any tips on what i can tell her?

I'd definitely have her read these posts; when I did, I felt so much better that it wasn't just me. My sex drive totally disappeared. She may have lost hope bc I know Mirena makes you feel that way. Depressed...it secretes hormones and causes many women to become hormonally imbalanced. I had mine 3 years, had it removed after reading all this almost a year ago, and my sex drive returned to normal within a couple of months. It had made me totally numb in that area. That thing changed my whole quality of life, I've always enjoyed sex, always liked to exercise; within those 3 years it was a downward spiral where I felt like doing nothing. If yall haven't removed it yet, plz have her read this!! I now have my old IUD back...it's Paragard IUD. It doesn't secrete hormones, and my sex drive is stronger than ever before. I'm back in shape. Life is good again. Idk how that horrible Mirena is still on the market!

I struggled with this issue for the past 4 years; going on 5 years. This all depends on her. The more you push it, the worse it can get. So be careful as to how you approach this. I can tell you from experience, you are not alone and it wont be easy unless she is ready to listen. Seems the IUD has a way of affecting hearing as well. I would suggest that she read all of the comments found on this site. If she values your relationship, she will read it. Now comes the tough part; what are you prepared to do to help her and help yourself with the overarching question of contraception? What are you prepared to do so she can avoid taking prescription drugs; drugs that mess around with her biology and your manhood?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Sorry this is happening to you and your girlfriend.

If Mirena is to blame, then creams, vibrators etc just won't work. I think it's a good idea to broach the subject with her but obviously in a very diplomatic way!

Tell her you came across this topic on EmpowHER accidentally (it's ok to employ a white lie for the greater good) and that you think Mirena could be to blame. And honestly, she's going to have to grow up a bit and be responsible for her own birth control (by remembering to take the pill - it's not that hard!) or find something else that could work. You could also elect to use condoms - birth control responsibilities can be shared.

I know this is really awkward but you are two adults and need to talk about this. You can do it, I promise! Thanks for looking out for your girlfriend - your concern is genuine and I really hope you both can work this out.

How do you control your PMS?: