ask: Anyone using the Mirena IUD have a low sex drive? Mine is almost non existant! :o(

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

There are dozens of birth control options to choose from - take it out! 

Anonymous

An amazing site. My partner, who is (make that was) multiorgasmic and perennially interested, had a Mirena inserted two months ago. The first time we had sex after that I noticed a profound difference in her vaginal tone and she has not orgasmed once during sex since then. It also has affected her ability to self-orgasm. What is truly disturbing is the denial of the Ob-gyn's who simply say "it can't be true, the hormonal load is too low".

Well, it is true. Sex is much more complicated than the one-hormone-one response theory. Putting a foreign object, and one emitting hormone, into the uterus could provoke all kinds of endogenous responses, which is what I suspect is happening with Mirena. The damage to relationships and families that this thing must be causing is truly tragic--this product should be pulled from the market like Vioxx was. BTW pharma was in denial about Vioxx, too, until it started killing or debilitating people.

Anonymous

So, it seems that my Mirena experience is a tad different from the majority of the ladies here. I had mine inserted at my 6-week post-partem appointment, back in January '10. From insertion to June '14, not a whole lot changed; I still had/have monthly periods, though they did become rather sporadic and I began to experience cramps, which had never happened before. I was able to lose all of the weight from my pregnancy, plus some. And my emotional health remained stable.

Fast forward about 4 1/2 years later and everything's changed. Since the beginning of this summer, I've become an emotional wreck, which is completely unlike me; I've gained all of my pregnancy weight back, despite eating healthily and lifting weights. Plus, I now dread the thought of having sex because it has become so incredibly painful, whereas, when my husband and I were first married, neither of us could get enough of each other. I've also begun to experience excruciating nausea-inducing cramps (think hard labor contractions) anytime I'm on my period. Considering that I am only 23 years old, I know this is not normal.

This obviously has had a negative affect upon my marriage and has nearly ended it 2 or 3 times. I now have an appointment set up for the 16th of this month so that I can have it removed and hopefully return to normal. Not sure what we'll do in regards to alternative birth control, but the husband has wanted a vasectomy for quite a while now, so hopefully we'll figure something out.

All the best of luck to you ladies.

Thank you for sharing your story, Anon! 

Remember to have a full check up at this time. While your certainly may be due to Mirena, it could also be something else. Talk to your doctor, just to be sure. 

Anonymous

I've had the Mirena for 2 1/2 years, and since then my sex drive decreased quickly to zero!! I've been thinking for a while that they may be connected, but only today I searched the internet... I cannot believe how many others have experienced the same thing! Thank you to all who expressed themselves here, and thank you to those who reposted, to tell us how they felt after removing the Mirena! My husband is so upset thinking I don't want/ like him anymore... I hope we'll soon find a suitable alternate birth control method.

Is it no desire or aversion to sex. My wife seems like it is sexual aversion. It has caused problems. I am about 100% sure Mirena is the culprit so I'm looking forward to getting this OUT.
Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous

I have had the mirena for 2 years and didnt ever want sex. I had it removed 2 weeks ago and I can already tell a difference. So glad I wasn't alone.

Anonymous

After having my tubes cut and tied after my 5 pregnancy, my body and cycle were all over the place. My doctor suggested getting the mirena, to see if that would help. I gave it a go, and I had this thing inserted for 8 years, my sex drive was non existent, I couldn't of cared whether I ever had sex again.
I didn't get a period for 8 years until the mirena started to break down and started giving me a few problems, spotting, cramps etc. I had the mirena removed, and now all I think about is sex. I couldn't understand why, so I googled up the mirena side effects, and I am shocked to read all these lady's stories. I wish I could of worked this out earlier, never was I told this could happen. I am actually very surprised that I am still married, as it has been quite horrific to say the least.

Anonymous

II'm glad I read this because I have had the mirena iud for 1 year and it has definitely ruined my husband and I's sex life. He wasn't understanding of why all the sudden I was never in the mood. While reading I am not the only one he now gets it. Thank y'all I am scheduled to get my iud out next week. We shall see. I will update my sex life from there lol

Anonymous

Mirena is a great birth control me and my wife havnt had sex in six months.

How do you control your PMS?: