Reproductive System

Reproductive System Guide

ask: Anyone using the Mirena IUD have a low sex drive? Mine is almost non existant! :o(

By Kara

Hi im jasmine i had mines put in in 2012 right after my son was born the first tear i was fine then my sex drive droped completely i dont think about sex its hard to focus when we have sex n even hurts time to time i still have periods, my weight goes no were and im always exhausted for no reason im a energetic person this is not me i need a doc. Appt asap.

I also had Mirena and have had it removed today and Paragard put in place. I am hoping many of the side effects I never associated to Mirena will be going away and soon.

BrendaL (reply to Anonymous)

I used the paraguard twice and don't recall any of the soreness that i hear about on these sites after insertion. I wonder if that is another affect of the hormones in it...i am actually kinda shocked at all the side-effects i am hearing about and it is like a broken record...one woman after another....with the same results after removing it too! It is sad that so many were roped into using a product that obviously had false advertising. It is days like this that I realize that it pays to be connected to the internet! Good luck to all of you who are recovering from Mirena and i hope your relationships can be spared. We all know how important a sexlife is for any husband. I just want to mention that possibly there were over-exaggerations about the side-effects of Paraguard, mainly about heavy bleeding, to help sway women to the Mirena. I really didn't feel that I had heavy periods, but they weren't the short ones either, just average.

Candice6

I got the mirena about a year ago only because I was breast feeding my daughter and the doctor said it doesn't produce estrogen and I was OK for the first couple months but here it is a year later I can't loose the wait I put on I'm always hungry and I workout on a daily basis and my Bf likes to have sex almost everyday and I use to want it everyday sometimes twice a day but not since this birth control was put in now its like don't touch me idk I'm only 32 so I know I should still have some hormones my question is this how long does it take for your drive to come back cause I'm getting it out on Monday

Anonymous

Hi again - I originally posted on March 5. I've had my Mirena out for almost exactly 2 months now. I am SO HAPPY to say the my sex drive is BACK!! I have nothing else to base this renewed interest in sex on other than the fact that the Mirena is out. Nothing else in my life has changed, so I am concluding that it is due to not having the hormones in my body anymore. My husband likes to have sex multiple times per week and I am enjoying it once again. I can't begin to say how happy I feel physically and mentally since having it removed. Best decision ever.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

That's great news! I am sure you are very relieved and glad you have your life back!

Thank you for the update,

Anonymous

I've had mine for a couple of months now. I've come to feel my sex drive disappear completely . My boyfriend likes to have relations almost every night. And, all i can tell him is i don't feel like it.

Anonymous

I'm speechless. It never crossed my mind that it was my Mirena that is causing everything in my life to go wrong. I got my IUD two years ago as a Mother's Day gift to my self because my husband and I weren't sure if we wanted another child. The first year was fine. I loved it! The Cropper IUD caused heavy and long periods, so the Mirena was a huge relief. In the second year my sex drive has gone from must-have-every-single-day to HUH?-Sex?-WHATS-THAT?. I have no desire but once in the act I'm fine only if I am thinking of extreme porn (crazy). But the list goes on, no motivation to do anything. I don't know how I manage to go to work or do things with my kids. I have gained weight that I can't lose it. I'm hungry all the time. All I want to do is sleep. Sleeping has become my favorite hobby and I'm a very outdoors kind of person. Now reading this and other blogs about the Mirena, I have also discovered that it too is the cause of my on going BV infections. They never go away. It horrible and embarrassing. Just feel bad for my husband and I because my OB/GYN kept saying that it is NOT my Mirena that is causing these issues. After reading from many many different women with my same problem and we all have two things in common, issues with our vagina's and the Mirena. I'm taking the first doctor's appointment I can get and taking it out. I'll worry about another form of birth control later. Thank you ladies.

Anonymous

Well, I have been searching all over for answers to why I have no sex drive. I have had the Miranda in for almost 4 years. I've had no periods which is great but have had problems with pain, and I guess I'm thinking this is causing my lack of sexual desire. I'm 30 and shouldn't have this problem. It's causing concern for me and my husband. I want to have it removed of this is the cause, I'm alittle scarred. Is there much pain with it being removed? I had alittle pain with it when it was inserted.

BrendaL (reply to Anonymous)

Barely felt a thing here either! OB's do these all the time. Going in is worse. Don't worry.

How do you control your PMS?: