Reproductive System

Reproductive System Guide

ask: Anyone using the Mirena IUD have a low sex drive? Mine is almost non existant! :o(

By Kara

Anonymous

Wow. My sister just went for her yearly with her Dr and found out she was pregnant ( she has a copper IUD, not a Mirena. And has been pregnant before ) so I started to question my own desire to keep this one. In Feb I will have had my Mirena for 5 years. I had absoloutely no inkling that my dimished sex drive could be the cause of my IUD because it really kicked in about 2.5 years ago. Fortunately I am in a long term committed relationship and my now fiancee has been very understanding about it. I cannot wait to get this taken out tomorrow. I have spent the entire day reading these HUNDREDS of comments all pointing in the same direction I am. It's truly shocking. Thank you everybody for your honesty and I cannot wait to see "the real me" start coming back. I also used to be such an insanely bright light of happiness and while I am not depressed I am certainly not a happy person anymore.

DOWN WITH THE MIRENA!

Anonymous

I came to this site after looking up on the Internet if any other women were feeling the way I did with the Mirena IUD. I had the Mirena placed 6 weeks after the birth of my third child after hearing great comments from friends that they loved not having their period and worrying about taking a pill everyday. After placement, there was a little bit of cramping at first but nothing I couldn't handle... but then the spotting began. I spotted for the first 2 years on and off with no idea when it would happen which is worse than having a period once a month! But I continued with the IUD because I weighed the option of possibly getting pregnant if I missed a bc pill, etc.

Not long after I had it placed I noticed that my sex drive had decreased dramatically and also major mood swings. My husband even made comments like "something's changed" and "do you not like me anymore?" And this was very strange for us because we have a great relationship and sex life and I'm only 31! We talked about how we thought it all happened after the IUD was placed but made the decision to keep it while we decided if we wanted another child.

After 3 years of having the IUD I really started to notice that when my husband touched me I had no feeling whatsoever which bothered me so much because I've never felt that way. It was almost like I was numb and I also had a hard time with the big O:( I had finally had enough and googled my symptoms and found multiple sites with women with the same problems and that made me feel sooo much better! I called and made an appointment with my OB that week and had it taken out ASAP with hopes that it would help.

Well....after 2 months boy do I feel a difference!!! I never got the bleeding people have said they endured after removal (I actually went on vacation). It took a month to get my first period and about 6 weeks for my sex drive to come back but it's so BACK!! The feelings when I'm touched returned and no problems having the big O! I have also noticed my mood swings subsided...except when I'm about to start my period haha:) My husband and I made the decision for him to have a V...so that helped make the decision to get it removed. I do not usually write on these things online but it has made such a difference, I had to tell my story. I wish I had made the decision so much sooner!! I hope someone with the same symptom reads this and realizes how that thing is affecting them! Life is good!!!

Omg it all make sence now I've had the mirana since 2011 right after my 6 week check up I didn't notice at first but I'm reading these post and it exactly what I'm going through I'm very moody and have completely shut my boyfriend out its like I hate sex. i don't even think abt sex. I'm always tired and my weight seem to go nowhere. I'm gone call my doc about getting it removed.

Anonymous

Hello I'm not the blogger type of person, but when I say De JA VU I mean that exactly. I had this Mirena inserted 10 months ago after I had my third child and I tell you what I am experiencing everything everyone is going through and I am so relieved to know it isn’t just me. I have been getting that damn BV on a monthly basis, my sex drive decreased so bad it's causing an interruption within my household and I feel like my relationship is on a thin line because of it. I am always exhausted I mean wore out like I run a marathon every day. I work out every day and don't see any results. I feel stress, depressed because of the weight, I have no motivation to do anything no more and I am an outgoing person, and Mood swings man it's so bad sometimes that I feel myself apologizing to people more than anything. My iron level is low, I'm on Vitamins, I tried to take care of myself and I feel overwhelmed trying. I finally got my answer this has been the longest 10 months of my life and even though I'm not interested in another kid right now, I am going to get my life back by getting this Mirena removed ASAP. Thank you all and I wish the best for anybody who is going through what I am going through.

Anonymous

Today I had the MIrena removed and Paragard inserted. My story is - age 30 had my 3rd child and had Mirena put in. I went the 5 years without (I thought) a side effect. I will say that I spotted for FIVE months (yes, for real) when it was first put in. I gave it 6 months to try it out and after that ended I never again had a period or anything - for 7 years.

I had the first one from 2006-2011. 2011 I opted to have a new one put in. Again, no issues. No bleeding, nothing. But then I started thinking how I never really "recovered" mentally from having #3. Scattered...kind of all over the place. A few days every month I would have the LOWEST energy level and drive to do anything at all. I chalked it up to the possiblity those were the days I would have AF, if I did. I am a very active, go get them, organized person otherwise. I even tracked my mood, motivation, etc. It seemed to also relate to sleep (duh) if I had gotten less, but that had never affected me to this degree in the past. I chalked it up to getting older, kids busy, working more, etc.

Eventually the low libido started really affecting my relationship w/my husband. I mean I feel nothing. Not even affection.

I looked into it and realized I have quite a few side effects that I never associated to MIrena - hair loss, extreme exhaustion at times. I wondered if the new one in 2011 was stronger in some way? I will say though that the majority of 7 years I have NOT been unhappy with it. I mean, I would have switched out long ago if I were. NO cramps, nothing horrible anything as others described. NO weight gain, nothing went horribly wrong. I debated removing it a year ago at my annual, due to the libido loss along. I Literally kept it for the no period bonus.

I again tracked mood, motivation, sleep, etc in January-April thinking it just had to be me. Took Vitamin D. Took DHEA (horrible side effects of acne). Looked again at forums of Mirean taking women with side effects and others saying "I didn't realize this was Mirena related til I went off!" (mental cloudiness, scattered thinking, low energy, low libido, hair loss, migraines - although those I've had in past ) I decided 2 weeks ago this was it. I had been on 7 years and I don't know what normal feels like (I think, ha-ha). I need a break. I need to see what I truly feel like, hormone free. I took the pill for years and never noticed these things - but #1 I was younger then and #2. it's not the same drug and #3. maybe I just didn't notice these things? Made the appt after debating other BC methods. I hate condoms, I didn't want something with a monthly copay if I could avoid it, pills suck - remembering them and then antibiotics, etc - need I say more? - , and I went with Para gard.

I am hoping that since I went from an IUD to an IUD that the old uterus stays calm and I avoid the cramping, etc etc I read about. It's been ohhhh, 3+ hours since I switched out, so I am seriously brand new at this change. So far so good. I had initially very minor cramping due to Hey something happened in here...sort of wakeup call but other than that my fingrs are crossed and no other issues to note. Pulling the Mirena and getting this one was easy-peasy, as it was with the other mirena inserts. Minor cramping, pinch and over.

By the way I'm now 37 and not willing to go tubal and undergo that surgery if I don't have to. Husband could do V but I like taking resp. for myself. Weird but there's my reasoning for this.

I'm hoping to avoid the "MIrena crash" I read about. Going to get extra sleep, extra fluids and take care of my emotional health by walking, reading, getting out with friends, kid playing..pick the things that make you happy and do them, sort of thing. Hoping the old libido wakes up and saves me.

Other than that and the return of AF (sad I can't avoid that one anymore, it's been a great 7 years in that respect), I have a hopeful anticipation for the future without Mirena.

Hi - it's me again from the March 5 post and the April 9 post. I must say I have not felt this good in years. The sad thing is, I didn't even know I was feeling bad! I thought that was all just "normal". I wondered the same thing as you about my new Mirena when I got it put in - that it was somehow different or the hormone was stronger. Not sure if we will ever have an answer for that, but it made a world of difference when I had it taken out (the new one was in for about 10 months). I tried BC pills but they made my anxiety come back and my mood kind of depressed. Along with my doctor, whom I adore and trust, we came to the conclusion that my 41 year old body is just changing and hormones are affecting me in a negative way. Kind of a bummer for birth control - my husband says he will get a V but so far hasn't (apprehension on his part). We have 3 wonderful children and I really don't want more although he would love a 4th. Anyway, I hope the other IUD works for you. My OB didn't recommend it due to the heavy bleeding it has been known to cause in some people. Good luck and keep us posted!

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Thanks for this input; it'll help a lot of women. Keep us posted on how the paraguard works for you.

BrendaL (reply to Susan Cody)

I am glad to hear that you switched to the Paraguard IUD! You will be glad! That is the only IUD I used and I seriously had no problems with it. It was like it wasn't there and it worked 100% at preventing pregnancy. I used it between baby#2 and Baby #3 and conceived 2 months after the removal which was great for us! I am done having babies and was asking around for advice and a few suggested Mirena. WEll I am glad i heard all you ladies here...thanks for putting it out there for me to read. If I had done the Mirena, my marriage would be over! I am looking for a boost to the libido, not a downer! I considered a tubal ligation but got nervous at the thought of the the actual surgery and decided I could just juggle a few more IUD's before I go menapausal and probably insurance would cover the IUD now 100%, whereas before they did not and I had to pay. So for anyone else who is reading all these comments, try the paraguard! There is no hormones in it, periods are like clockwork, I didn't feel that they were heavy, just the same as on orth-tricylen BC Pill. No headaches, acne or depression. I don't know why it doesn't get advertised more!

Anonymous

I had the Mirena put into place after my 6-8 weeks after my 3rd child was born(5yrs ago). I was 29 at the time, 34 now.
I have to be honest, it hurt going in, and was uncomfortable for about 3 months, and I bled/spotted for the majority of that 3 months. BOOO.
But after those approximate 3 months, I thought it was great!
I stopped have periods almost completely, with only light spotting on occassion(+).
No worry about more babies!(+)
No remembering pill(+)
No buying embarrassing contraceptives (+)
After a yr or so, I stopped feeling the desire to be intimate with my husband. (-)
Now, my husband and I went though a rough time a few yrs ago, so I chalked it up to this. After this bout, my desire never really came back. Even after things between us were to be going better.
I felt that I didn't love him anymore. I talked to him about considering separation, 6 months ago. We decided to see if we could make it work.
Had my Mirena removed about 2 months ago, and my life has been turned around. I have desire to be intimate, all the time. Almost too often. ;)
He actually turned me away for the first time. I didn't take it personally, it's a huge change from the last 3-4 yrs. Never would have thought it was my Mirena lowering my sex drive.
Didn't even consider it, until it was like a light switch turning back on, once it was removed.
We aren't intimate everyday(but much more than before). But I feel a closeness I haven't felt in a long time. Sometimes we just hold hands in bed.
I feel like my life has suddenly changed.
That said, I loved Mirena otherwise. It did its job like a workhorse. But for now, we will be using condoms.

Hi im jasmine i had mines put in in 2012 right after my son was born the first tear i was fine then my sex drive droped completely i dont think about sex its hard to focus when we have sex n even hurts time to time i still have periods, my weight goes no were and im always exhausted for no reason im a energetic person this is not me i need a doc. Appt asap.

How do you control your PMS?: