ask: Anyone using the Mirena IUD have a low sex drive? Mine is almost non existant! :o(

For me, even though I had removed it 5 years ago, the confusion and avoidance still comes back once in a while. Basical,y, what had happened to me is physical abrasion and trauma to the uterus, it was a would, but not a plain wound , it was a would that was internal, external, emotional, and sexual, it is hard to understand even by myself. I feel attacked and blamed whenever my lover(s) tells me: "but you removed it a long time ago right? you shouldn't feel bad from it once you have taken it out. It is in your head, it must be something else." I know they are trying to make me feel better, but this is not just a mechanical thing, I am not a machine. It had affected me in ways I cannot interpret but only feel frustrated and any little unsupportive-ness makes me feel alone and stuck, and wrong for not being able to be intimate. I was also blamed by my boyfriend at the time for making excuses and lying about being injured. It was really traumatizing even more so after. The best thing to do is to be completely supportive of her. When I apologized to my current boyfriend about how sorry I am for not being intimate and that I can feel myself avoiding sex again, he was completely supportive and told me that it was ok, and to take my time to be comfortable, he told me that sex is only good to him if it is good to me. Those words really helped me overcome my fears and made me feel cared for, and that really turned me on as a lover, and sex has been really great ever since. Be as gentle as possible and follow her rhythm during intercourse. Give her time to heal physically first.

Anonymous

I posted on October 17th. We have better insurance now, so I have an appointment to have my Mirena removed on January 8th. I am so excited! I can hardly wait. I will give it some time after the removal, and then come back here to post how I'm feeling, and if quality of life has improved. :)

Anonymous

I've had the ParaGard IUD in since my six week post partum (2011) as well. Since having it placed, I've had zero sex drive. My relationship is practically ruined. I lost my insurance not long after my daughter since I stopped working to be a stay at home mom. I am finally getting insurance through my new job 01/01/15. The first appointment I make is to get this thing removed. I am so relieved to see so many people unfortunatly having the same problem. I thought something was seriously wrong with me :/

Anonymous

I've been on the newer and smaller Jaydess since april and it's been a awfull. You know that feeling of cramps the first day of your period? I have it for 1-2 times a week for an hour or so. Spotting endlessy so now I am allergic to industrial sanitary pads. My libido- gone, I have never felt so numb and careless about being intimite with my wonderfull boyfriend. But you try and try to wait it out- because the IUD is so exspensive. Now I'm off to my GP to have it removed as we speak. Would I recommend to other women? It's difficult to answer because we are different. But it's is absolutely not for me.

Anonymous

I have been on the Mirena since 2013 and the high sex drive I had has never been the same since. It have no interest in sex what so ever if my partner never touched me again for sex it would not bother me and I've never been like this and our relationship has had so much issues since due to lack of sex, not long he said I need to decide on having it removed.......we are hanging on a thin line of separating due to the large reduction of sex.......really sad

I am in the same boat. Since I have had this put in three years ago, my arc drive is non existent. We argue and fight constantly. He thinks there is something wrong with him. Heck the list goes on and on. I haven't had a period in that entire 3 years. Which I know has a lot to do with everything!!! Wish you the best of luck and I would never recommend this to someone in a committed relationship.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

There are dozens of birth control options to choose from - take it out! 

Anonymous

An amazing site. My partner, who is (make that was) multiorgasmic and perennially interested, had a Mirena inserted two months ago. The first time we had sex after that I noticed a profound difference in her vaginal tone and she has not orgasmed once during sex since then. It also has affected her ability to self-orgasm. What is truly disturbing is the denial of the Ob-gyn's who simply say "it can't be true, the hormonal load is too low".

Well, it is true. Sex is much more complicated than the one-hormone-one response theory. Putting a foreign object, and one emitting hormone, into the uterus could provoke all kinds of endogenous responses, which is what I suspect is happening with Mirena. The damage to relationships and families that this thing must be causing is truly tragic--this product should be pulled from the market like Vioxx was. BTW pharma was in denial about Vioxx, too, until it started killing or debilitating people.

Anonymous

So, it seems that my Mirena experience is a tad different from the majority of the ladies here. I had mine inserted at my 6-week post-partem appointment, back in January '10. From insertion to June '14, not a whole lot changed; I still had/have monthly periods, though they did become rather sporadic and I began to experience cramps, which had never happened before. I was able to lose all of the weight from my pregnancy, plus some. And my emotional health remained stable.

Fast forward about 4 1/2 years later and everything's changed. Since the beginning of this summer, I've become an emotional wreck, which is completely unlike me; I've gained all of my pregnancy weight back, despite eating healthily and lifting weights. Plus, I now dread the thought of having sex because it has become so incredibly painful, whereas, when my husband and I were first married, neither of us could get enough of each other. I've also begun to experience excruciating nausea-inducing cramps (think hard labor contractions) anytime I'm on my period. Considering that I am only 23 years old, I know this is not normal.

This obviously has had a negative affect upon my marriage and has nearly ended it 2 or 3 times. I now have an appointment set up for the 16th of this month so that I can have it removed and hopefully return to normal. Not sure what we'll do in regards to alternative birth control, but the husband has wanted a vasectomy for quite a while now, so hopefully we'll figure something out.

All the best of luck to you ladies.

Thank you for sharing your story, Anon! 

Remember to have a full check up at this time. While your certainly may be due to Mirena, it could also be something else. Talk to your doctor, just to be sure. 

How do you control your PMS?: