Reproductive System

Reproductive System Guide

ask: Anyone using the Mirena IUD have a low sex drive? Mine is almost non existant! :o(

By Kara

Hi - it's me again from the March 5 post and the April 9 post. I must say I have not felt this good in years. The sad thing is, I didn't even know I was feeling bad! I thought that was all just "normal". I wondered the same thing as you about my new Mirena when I got it put in - that it was somehow different or the hormone was stronger. Not sure if we will ever have an answer for that, but it made a world of difference when I had it taken out (the new one was in for about 10 months). I tried BC pills but they made my anxiety come back and my mood kind of depressed. Along with my doctor, whom I adore and trust, we came to the conclusion that my 41 year old body is just changing and hormones are affecting me in a negative way. Kind of a bummer for birth control - my husband says he will get a V but so far hasn't (apprehension on his part). We have 3 wonderful children and I really don't want more although he would love a 4th. Anyway, I hope the other IUD works for you. My OB didn't recommend it due to the heavy bleeding it has been known to cause in some people. Good luck and keep us posted!

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Thanks for this input; it'll help a lot of women. Keep us posted on how the paraguard works for you.

BrendaL (reply to Susan Cody)

I am glad to hear that you switched to the Paraguard IUD! You will be glad! That is the only IUD I used and I seriously had no problems with it. It was like it wasn't there and it worked 100% at preventing pregnancy. I used it between baby#2 and Baby #3 and conceived 2 months after the removal which was great for us! I am done having babies and was asking around for advice and a few suggested Mirena. WEll I am glad i heard all you ladies here...thanks for putting it out there for me to read. If I had done the Mirena, my marriage would be over! I am looking for a boost to the libido, not a downer! I considered a tubal ligation but got nervous at the thought of the the actual surgery and decided I could just juggle a few more IUD's before I go menapausal and probably insurance would cover the IUD now 100%, whereas before they did not and I had to pay. So for anyone else who is reading all these comments, try the paraguard! There is no hormones in it, periods are like clockwork, I didn't feel that they were heavy, just the same as on orth-tricylen BC Pill. No headaches, acne or depression. I don't know why it doesn't get advertised more!

Anonymous

I had the Mirena put into place after my 6-8 weeks after my 3rd child was born(5yrs ago). I was 29 at the time, 34 now.
I have to be honest, it hurt going in, and was uncomfortable for about 3 months, and I bled/spotted for the majority of that 3 months. BOOO.
But after those approximate 3 months, I thought it was great!
I stopped have periods almost completely, with only light spotting on occassion(+).
No worry about more babies!(+)
No remembering pill(+)
No buying embarrassing contraceptives (+)
After a yr or so, I stopped feeling the desire to be intimate with my husband. (-)
Now, my husband and I went though a rough time a few yrs ago, so I chalked it up to this. After this bout, my desire never really came back. Even after things between us were to be going better.
I felt that I didn't love him anymore. I talked to him about considering separation, 6 months ago. We decided to see if we could make it work.
Had my Mirena removed about 2 months ago, and my life has been turned around. I have desire to be intimate, all the time. Almost too often. ;)
He actually turned me away for the first time. I didn't take it personally, it's a huge change from the last 3-4 yrs. Never would have thought it was my Mirena lowering my sex drive.
Didn't even consider it, until it was like a light switch turning back on, once it was removed.
We aren't intimate everyday(but much more than before). But I feel a closeness I haven't felt in a long time. Sometimes we just hold hands in bed.
I feel like my life has suddenly changed.
That said, I loved Mirena otherwise. It did its job like a workhorse. But for now, we will be using condoms.

Hi im jasmine i had mines put in in 2012 right after my son was born the first tear i was fine then my sex drive droped completely i dont think about sex its hard to focus when we have sex n even hurts time to time i still have periods, my weight goes no were and im always exhausted for no reason im a energetic person this is not me i need a doc. Appt asap.

I also had Mirena and have had it removed today and Paragard put in place. I am hoping many of the side effects I never associated to Mirena will be going away and soon.

BrendaL (reply to Anonymous)

I used the paraguard twice and don't recall any of the soreness that i hear about on these sites after insertion. I wonder if that is another affect of the hormones in it...i am actually kinda shocked at all the side-effects i am hearing about and it is like a broken record...one woman after another....with the same results after removing it too! It is sad that so many were roped into using a product that obviously had false advertising. It is days like this that I realize that it pays to be connected to the internet! Good luck to all of you who are recovering from Mirena and i hope your relationships can be spared. We all know how important a sexlife is for any husband. I just want to mention that possibly there were over-exaggerations about the side-effects of Paraguard, mainly about heavy bleeding, to help sway women to the Mirena. I really didn't feel that I had heavy periods, but they weren't the short ones either, just average.

Candice6

I got the mirena about a year ago only because I was breast feeding my daughter and the doctor said it doesn't produce estrogen and I was OK for the first couple months but here it is a year later I can't loose the wait I put on I'm always hungry and I workout on a daily basis and my Bf likes to have sex almost everyday and I use to want it everyday sometimes twice a day but not since this birth control was put in now its like don't touch me idk I'm only 32 so I know I should still have some hormones my question is this how long does it take for your drive to come back cause I'm getting it out on Monday

Anonymous

Hi again - I originally posted on March 5. I've had my Mirena out for almost exactly 2 months now. I am SO HAPPY to say the my sex drive is BACK!! I have nothing else to base this renewed interest in sex on other than the fact that the Mirena is out. Nothing else in my life has changed, so I am concluding that it is due to not having the hormones in my body anymore. My husband likes to have sex multiple times per week and I am enjoying it once again. I can't begin to say how happy I feel physically and mentally since having it removed. Best decision ever.

That's great news! I am sure you are very relieved and glad you have your life back!

Thank you for the update,

How do you control your PMS?: