ask: Anyone using the Mirena IUD have a low sex drive? Mine is almost non existant! :o(

By Kara April 24, 2009 - 1:10pm

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

I think your first paragraph was very harsh considering this was an unknown hormonal condition that she was unaware of.  "Grounds for divorce without remorse?"  That is an interesting take, most husbands/male partners are upset but very understanding. 

I hope things work out for you and your wife gets better. I promise you, she probably feels awful for her behavior too. 

I relate and hold out hope that it is Mirena afterall. We had it removed 3 months ago. She actually initiated sex a couple of weeks ago though that was the only time she was in to it. That does give me a glimmer of hope but it really has only been that once that it was good.
As for forcing herself... I think that is what my wife did and now it has developed in to an aversion where she tenses up and has anxiety about sex. It is a really bad position to be in and I have gone through the gammit of emotions. We are in counseling now. I hold out hope and have faith that we will have a better physical intimate marriage to come. It leaves me feeling very insecure as a man, that is for sure. I assure you though, our wives do not like feeling like this and they want to be available to us. Mirena is from Satan!

Hi all, I am having the same problems. My sex drive is non-existent...I'm 24 years old and for my fiance and I sex was an everyday thing now it's once a month if that. Sometimes it doesn't happen for months. I've had speculations that it was my Mirena and I told him that's why my sex drive is so low. But that was hard to explain it just led to him thinking I was cheating. We have 2 handsome boys and in a couple years want another. I've tried the pill that doesn't work at all for me. So I'm thinking of maybe trying the shot. Definitely after ready all these comments I feel somewhat relieved because it's something I can fix and I won't be broken any more. Hopefully by removing it my sex life will slice back up.

I forgot to mention I've had mirena going on 3 years. So I've suffered with this for 3 years..

I had the Mirena in for two years. I bled the first 6 months and had irregular periods the rest of the time. A little shy of a year into it, I noticed that my sex drive was completely gone. My boyfriend of 3 years thought I was cheating. Sex was an almost everyday thing and suddenly turned into a once a month, I'm too tired, I'm not doing any of the work, sort of thing. Needless to say,I had it taken out 2 weeks ago. I did not realize how much the Mirena effected me until it was out. It was the root of my problems. It gave me terrible sinus problems, headaches, mood swings, depression, cramping, sharp pains in my legs, brain fog, an inner tube tummy and nausea... Just to name a few. I must warn you though, after getting it removed, you go through withdrawal and turn psychotic for a few days. After your hormones balance again, you feel so refreshed! My sex drive is back in full affect, migraines are gone, sinuses are clear, and all is great.

I'm going through a terrible experience with my GF who got it a few months ago. She is 18 and says everything I do is annoying, has constant doubts about our relationship, is tired all the time, has some pretty bad mood swings, and told me at one point that she feels so depressed and just wishes to die. This is not like her at all. She was always so alive, happy, and healthy. We have been dating for 4 years and we have always had a very healthy relationship. She refuses to get the thing taken out because she thinks having no period will be wonderful, which I don't understand because she was bleeding two weeks ago. Does this sound like it can be mirena related? Thanks!

I'm 25 years old and I've had the mirena iud since I was 20. So I've had it the full 5 years. No issues with it at all except the fact that my sex drive was non existent. I thought it was just me but after reading these comments I realize I wasn't the only one. I had it removed and they put in the paragard iud in its place. So far so good. My husband and I talked multiple times while I still had mirena. The whole, no sex drive and what happened to it thing. i finally got off of it but and am now very happy. The paragard has no hormones whatsoever, copper is a natural spermicide. Only had it for a month so far but everything seems good!

Mirena is the worst thing that ever happened to my marriage. We suffered thru over 2 years of this stuff. My wife lost all sex drive. She was tired all the time and had headaches. Of course I took it personal. I got on this forum and read pages and pages of posts. I discussed it with her. I scheduled a vasectomy the next week and she scheduled an appointment to get it taken out. A month later, it's like our honeymoon every day now. She is so much less moody and stressed. And her sex drive has returned in a big way. Very thankful for this site. Thinking about mirena. Please don't. If you have it and are having problems, get it taken out asap. I am so happy I have my wife back. God truly answered my prayers.

I am happy for you, but very jealous. I too read all of the posts and had a vasectomy. We had Mirena removed a couple of months ago. unfortunately it has not played out like this for me. Maybe because she had sex with me out of guilt or wifely duty while on Mirena, or maybe other issues related to past. Whatever it may be she has developed anxiety about sex- sexual aversion. We recently began counseling. I have hopes for the honeymoon, but we've got a lot of work to do. I was hoping removing it would be the magic pill, but unfortunately not. Just wanted to share my experience. Prayers on this please as it is difficult to go through.

WOW. I am so relieved to see some of these comments on here. I dated my girlfriend for 4 years and she recently got the Mirena. I didn't think anything of it. Just recently, she tells me she wants to break up! She is 18 years old and going into college, and all of a sudden she breaks up with me for a whole bunch of random reasons. We are still talking and I believe she wants to stay with me, but I think this birth control is sending her over the top. Instead of being a regular, stressed out teenager, this thing has turned her into a totally different person wanting different things all of a sudden. I would hate to lose such a great relationship over something stupid like this for someone I love. I know this stuff can mess with a girls hormones. I may not get too many more opportunities to court her, should I talk to her about getting this thing removed (it's up to her and her parents)? At this point, I don't care about the sex, I just want my girl back. She is stressing about a lot of different things right now; does anyone think drinking soy milk will help her lighten up? She is worrying herself sick. Any other suggestions? Thanks a bunch!

How do you control your PMS?: