Q: 

Anyone using the Mirena IUD have a low sex drive? Mine is almost non existant! :o(

By April 24, 2009 - 1:10pm

Anonymous

OMG !! I am so happy I ve found this page!! I thought it is something wrong with me!!! I have mirena over a year now, no sex drive at all since then but what I am more worried about i felling depressed and also gained 10 pounds !!
Now I know I need to have it removed immediately ! But then there is a question if not mirena then what?!? copper T is not for me ;/ all other are also hormonal....

This is too funny!!! Reading ur comment its as if I wrote it lol I feel the same way

Anonymous

after having a baby (two years ago) I had the mirena IUD inserted at my doctor's recommendation., 6 weeks after giving birth. At this time my sex drive was completley non-existant. I attributed this to having just gien birth, hormones unbalanced, the stress and sleep deprivation of a newborn, and the hormonal changes associated with breastfeeding. Well.. two years have passed, I quit breastfeeding a year ago, we have been sleeping through the night for a year, and I still had zero sex drive. I would occasionally have sex with my husband because I felt bad for him, but I dodn't really enjoy it. His smell was repulsive, kissing was gross, and even just being touched on the arm or whetever was unpleasant. I never told him any of that-- I was polite about it, I just told him my libito was really low-- nothing personal-- I just wasn't interested in sex with anyone. Which was true! Just not the whole truth! Anyway, he became resentful, irritable, pouty, and rude too.... which really didn't help. I love my husband but it's pretty hard to make yourself have sex with someone who is not nice to you. even though i knw that not having sex is the reason he is so unpleasant toward me. Well two weeks ago I had the mirena removed. I think a lot of damage has been done to our marriage in the last 2 years and I hope that things will get better. I have already noticed my body feeling something when looking at a picture of handsome guy I went to school with and when mildly (harmlessly) flirting with a coworker. I think my libido is coming back, I just need to get on a good page with my husband. Good news is I've also lost 4 pounds without trying--- after trying to lose weight for 2 years (counting calories very carefully and eating a low carb diet with no processed food) with no results- I'm starting to think that mirena may have been the culprit there too.

Hi I'm hoping you will share how your are feeling now. I've been having my iud almost 4 years,my sex drive is definitely low. I may get it out in 2 days but not quite sure if I should. Since the beginning of September when you got it taken out,has your sex drive or any other new things come back you would like to share ?

I feel like you just wrote about me. I have had the same feelings toward my partner, when before, it was beyond fantastic. I would love to know how things are going for you. I had my Mirena taken out in the 22nd of September. I have been feeling less "puffy" and I actually want to have sex for the first time since I got the Mirena. I hope that both you and I didn't wait too long to have it removed before our marriages were affected too much. Best of luck! I would really love to hear how things are going! Here's to a better future!

I really wish you had found this site about 1 1/2 years ago--when you began to realize that something was very, very wrong, and that it was "not you".

I posted several months ago about my fears about how many marriages and families have been damaged by Mirena, and the need to take it out if the feelings you so eloquently express are coming to the fore. And, yes, it is hard to fathom, when desire is lost, how your partner feels. And that is very destructive to all you both have built.

But I am darned sure you have done the right thing. You won't miss the pounds and the bloatyness (word, maybe?), and I am pretty sure your magic will return. From my reading of your post, it seems like that is just around the corner, if not here already.

I hope your man reads my post.

I repeat myself: If you are experiencing the tragic loss of what you once treasured, and if it is concurrent with putting in Mirena, HAVE YOUR DOC TAKE THE DAMNED THING OUT. TOMORROW. NO QUESTIONS ASKED. NO DELAY. It can destroy everything you have.

Anonymous

Same here since I pu tmy IUD my libido is vesr very low and sometime I feel num all over my body. Mood swing of course a d depression is an issue two. I was strugling to lose 7-10 ponds although I am the type of person who loses weight fast but I am not planninh in removing it any time soon because I do not want to get pregnant again. But I found a healthy solution to the wEight I start drinking a cup of water, lemon, gingera d cinammon the first thing in the morning for almost two months now and I lost 7 pounds without doing any thing but of course I do not eat like a horse or eat late. You can add honey to you drink if you want and that alone fixed my mood a little bit tbe fact I am loosing weight. You should try it it is very good and healthy

Anonymous

I thought it was just me! I have had my mirena in for 3 years. I had a very high sex drive before the IUD was placed. I decided to take it out because after a few months, my husband and I had sex about 2 times a month. Now that I had it removed 3 days ago, my sex drive has came back full force. It was a great decision to have it removed.

Anonymous

Omg yes this is my second mirina had the first one removed after 5 years have had the new one for a year now and I have absolutely no sex drive at all it sucks even with the first one I am getting mine removed in the next few weeks The one thing I liked about it is I never got a period at all but I'm sick off feeling so grumpy and omg I get acne never had it before the mirina also every month my boobs are so sore like I'm pregnant I get really bad headaches mood swings I'm so over it

My wife of 12 years had the Mirena IUD put in in feb in 6 months she now uses her own blanket won't kiss me has absolutely zero affection towards me...we have had a healthy sex life prior to this I tell her that I think it is her IUD and she just laughs at me and says you cannot believe all the horror stories on the Internet is there any way to get her libido back and her still keep the IUD she needed the IUD because of endometriosis and says she does not want to take it out