Reproductive System

Reproductive System Guide

ask: Anyone using the Mirena IUD have a low sex drive? Mine is almost non existant! :o(

By Kara

Anonymous

Hi there I had this dirty thing put in about april 2012 bleed non stop until august also in that time it was painful during and after sex and now i still have no desire to be touched or even want to think about having sex! I had it taken out in september and had implanon put back in as its always worked brillantly for me it is now february 2013 and still any sort of afection feels like the bigest chore and I had the biggest sex drive out of anyone i know. I just want to know if it will ever come back again

Anonymous

I have had the Mirena for almost four years and I loved it. I have almost no period, weight has dropped off fine with diet and exercise, and no known symptoms except some minor breakouts every now and then. I have also been single and celibate for that entire time, so I haven't noticed any issues with my sex drive - until now!

I just became intimate with my boyfriend. I was shocked by the difference in my sex drive. He was hot, I was enjoying it, but I swear that I could not get turned on, as though I had twisted the faucet on the sink but no water came out. I was not nearly as sexually intense as I was four years ago just before I had the Mirena put in. I wanted to enjoy this so bad, but getting even slightly turned on required SO much effort! I'm hoping it was a bout of flu last week or maybe some diet / exercise issue, not the Mirena - but it very well could be as this thing does affect female hormone levels.

LadyKush541

ok, I have been reading post after post of woman having no sex drive or low sex drive while using the IUD. I have had mine for 6 years. Had it for 5 then opted to go for another 5. The problem I am running into now.. that I just recently started to think about is.. YUP you guessed it my SEX DRIVE! I dont have one.. I gained a TON of weight. I am un happy, depressed and latley my marriage is on the verge of divorce. Now after saying all of that.. the question I am wondering is, DOES YOUR SEX DRIVE RETURN AFTER TAKING THE IUD OUT?? My husband dosnt want anymore kids..yet he complains all the time about us not having sex..or me not showing affection but he dosnt want me to get it out... I am confused and I need some kind of advice!

Anonymous (reply to LadyKush541)

Not sure you'll see this but I am you, exactly! Had it 5 years, opted for another 5. Now regretting that (almost 2 years on 2nd one) and had it removed today and Paragard inserted. I am going to go to the top of this forum and post my exact situation but you aren't alone. My friend had the low sex drive and had hers removed after 7 mo. It came back within 2 weeks (fully, but she felt better in less than a week she says). Have faith. I do.

Tammy Wright (reply to LadyKush541)

I think that you need to do what is right for you, but if you are feeling unhappy with life and depressed, then I would tell you to have it removed. I had the Mirena taken out this past Thursday, and although was told it could take up to 2 weeks for all the hormone to be completely out of my system, I am slowly feeling changes. Feeling a little happier and not so depressed and from having a 0 sex drive it is now about a 1 or 2 (on scale of 1 -10).

I had read many posts on various boards and it depends on the woman as to how long it takes the sex drive to return after removal. Some had it returned/improved in as little as a week, others months. I think the longest I read was 8 months from one woman who posted.

I think you need to do what is right for you. I understand that it is a marriage, and your husband doesn't want you to have it removed; but he isn't the one with something inside him that is causing him to be something he isn't. To fell bad about himself and depressed etc. Hopefully if you explain everything to him on how you have been feeling he will understand and change his mind. Even if he doesn't, you have to do what is best for YOU!

Anonymous

I actually have an appointment scheduled for this coming Monday to have my mirena removed in hopes that I regain my sex drive and get out of my funk that I so often find myself in. After 2 years it has been nothing but a headache and has caused so many issues. I just over it all ready... My fiancé is really on edge bc my libido has decreased so much and he thinks it has to deal with him well I'm over him feeling like that.. So my hope for this coming Monday and beyond that I slowly get back to me!!

Anonymous

I am the husband on the previous poster. And please all you ladies and men listen to us. We both made the decision as a couple to have the thing put in her. This thing has caused us so many problems that are not only sexual. And like another males post on here I felt my wife did not want me anymore, kept asking if it was my looks as I am getting older and darn sure not as attractive as I may have been in my younger years.

Yes I complained a lot about the sex. But I was more concerned with the total lack of affection that I would be receiving from my wife. My wife went from the best affectionate sexual partner a man could have ever asked for to being total null of any affection in a 2 years time span from insertion. Then the depression set in. All I can hope is I can repair the damage I have done due to this thing.

So please never let your significant other have this thing put in her.

I had that thing 3 years, total loss of libido. But more than that, like you say about ur wife, I didn't feel affectionate about hardly anything. My child and that was about it. I think it's the hormones it secretes. I felt horrible for 3 years and within 2 months of it being removed my sex drive was back and I feel like my happy self again. I hope your wife had it removed... if anyone here was willing to have Mirena IUD...my suggestion is Paragard IUD....same process of insertion, but NO HORMONES. Mirena secretes hormones...That's what is screwing us up!! WHY won't they ban this horrible product???

BrendaL (reply to Anonymous)

What is sick, is that all us women had to pay thru the nose for something that was harmful to us and the drug company makes a huge profit! I am going to stick with Paraguard!

Anonymous

I am now 41 and have had the Mirena for over 5 years (just had it replaced in December). I have an appointment this afternoon to have it removed. The last 5 years has been pure hell. When I first had it inserted, after my last child was born, I bleed daily for over a year and a half. I gained some weight and had a decrease in sex drive. I went to my OB/GYN multiple times and each time was told everything was normal, that my body was still adjusting to the Mirena. The bleeding eventually subsided and I lost my period all together. But that wasn't the only thing I lost; my sex drive was continually decreasing and for the past 8 months is non-existent. I have no interest in sex and it feels like a chore. I had also started depressed. At first I thought it was due to the marital problems brought on my lack and then no interest in sex. I started gaining weight, which I attributed to being depressed. I went to my family doctor in July/August to check if I could possibly be going through early menopause. I had all the tests done and my hormone levels were normal - no menopause. I was told it was most likely due to my "emotional state" that I had lost my libido. The progression of the lack of feelings toward any time of contact with my spouse continued. I went back to my OB/GYN in September to discuss the Mirena as at the end of the year I would have to have it replaced. I discussed all the issues with him and was told the is would be very RARE is the Mirena was causing my issues, but if it was contributing to them, then having the Mirena replaced would help my situation, as the level of hormone would be higher on the new one as I was at the 5 year mark for the old one. I trusted my doctor and discussed with my husband, and made the appointment to have it replaced.

Fast forward 2 months to today and nothing has changed, it has only gotten worse. My husband and I are now separated due to the issues that arouse from our practically non-existent sex life. The past few weeks I have read many boards and posts from other women having the same issue of decreased or complete loss of sex drive, depression, weight gain etc. I made the appointment to have mine removed, and can only hope that in time I will start feeling like my old normal self again and start to repair the emotional damage this has left. Some things may not be able to be repaired between my husband and I, but I am looking forward to start being me again.

I will update in a few weeks to see if there is any change. But from what I have read with others, once removed the sex drive slowly starts to come back.

How do you control your PMS?: