Reproductive System

Reproductive System Guide

ask: Anyone using the Mirena IUD have a low sex drive? Mine is almost non existant! :o(

By Kara

Anonymous

So after reading some of these comments I have come to the conclusion that my IUD is making the problems in my marriage. I have no want for intercourse. I am getting this stupid thing out ASAP!!!!!!!

Anonymous

It's so nice to see that not batshit crazy (though of course I'd rather we didn't have these issues).

Had the mc fitted about a year and a half ago, having it fitted was so incredible painful I couldn't move for days. Pretty much had a period for 6 months straight, barely anything since then. That's the good side of it, however, I've had absolutely zero sex drive, nada. Haven't had sex in a year. Needless to say, that's not an ideal situation, plus I'm getting married next year!!! When I first went back to the drs, I was told "it'll sort itself out", after 18 months I've had no improvement. My biggest problem now us, due to the pain of having it out in, I'm too terrified to have it removed. Anyone who's had it removed, was it as bad?

I came to the conclusion... slowly that the merina was bad for my health. I suffered massive weight gain over 2 years, struggled with diets and lost 3 stone which went on immediatley when only eating normally and pretty healthily.... I suffer terrible migraines and after about a year lost my sex drive altogether... I had put it down to depression from longterm back pain but after researching merina thouroughly on numerous sites around the world I concluded it was responsible... in america and australia there are massive law suits over it. I took mine out myself tonighy slowly with no pain (mine was excrutiating when inserted)
I will now see if I can get happy, healthy, lose weight and get my sex drive back.... by all accounts this happens within weeks...
good luck

I removed mine myself - just squatted down reached in and pulled gently and slowly on the string - that's what the doctor is going to do. No it doesn't hurt to remove it. I should probably suggest you go to the doctor to do it, but honestly it was easy and painless to remove. I had spotting for a couple of days and started feeling better in a couple of weeks. Good luck - but don't delay. That thing is an awful form of birth control IMHO.

Anonymous

I am going crazy, I think.
So I am on Mirena #2 as of July. I don't remember having issues in the beginning with the first one, but I have absolutely no libido/sex drive at this time. It sucks, I feel bad for my boyfriend, I want to want to have sex with him and yet I have no interest. I have been sleep deprived and a bit stressed out but that has never caused me to not at all be interested in sex prior. There can be an hour of foreplay and I can't even get excited. I am not sure who else has had this issue and what you have decided to do. I would prefer not to have my periods, it is better for me medically and I loved my first mirena. I also don't know I have read that the first 6 months of a new one it releases more estrogen that depletes your level of testosterone, so maybe I should just wait it out.

Thank you! This is EXACTLY my situation. No problems at all with Mirena #1, and now with Mirena #2 (inserted about 6 months ago) I have no desire whatsoever. I also feel awful for his sake. I don't know whether to try taking it out to see if that solves the problem because it was expensive and I don't want to throw that money down the drain if it wasn't the problem after all. But hey, what's the point of having birth control if we are barely even doing the deed right now anyway?

Lori Meredith (reply to Anonymous)

I am curious did you get yours out and did things improve? I am on the same boat with you. Thanks

Burton1

Hello, I got a Mirena IUD after my second child in December of 2011. It's been almost 2 years since I've had it and my body been through a lot of changes that did not occur 2 years prior. I have developed depression, severe migraines, abdominal pain, back pain, weight gain that's been hard to lose, I'm tired and sleepy all of the time, always feeling sluggish , very low sex drive. This thing has changed my life tremendously these past to years. My husband thinks I'm turned off by him because I don't have any interest in sex what so ever. I went from wanting sex on a daily bases to not having a urge for it at all. I told my husband recently that this IUD is the reason for all of these new problems that has occurred in the past 2 years. I'm seriously thinking about getting it removed before I lose my mind and my husband before it's to late. Calling my OB in the AM.... PS if you are experiencing any of these symptoms like me, please get it checked out before it's to late... Thanks ladies for sharing your stories I'm not alone and I wish I would've thought about reading this blog a while back so it I could've gotten it removed earlier in the year.

Anonymous (reply to Burton1)

Burton1 you have in idea how much your message has helped me. I had the Mireya put in back in March as I knew we didn't want more kids ( my 2nd was born in dec 2012). Since then I was thinking I had no real side effects but now I'm not so sure. The main concern I have is I have absolutely no desire for sex or physical intimacy with my husband. My sex drive has never been high but it's at the point now where I'm repulsed by the idea. I've been thinking the marriage is going to end. He has been miserable thinking I'm wanting him gone and I've been so upset knowing I'm hurting him but what's the point in saving a marriage that isn't really a marriage. It only struck me tonight that I wondered if the Mireya could be contributing. I'm going to try to see my dr tomorrow. Might well gave it removed. Will just gave to go back to the pill I guess. Or get hubby to have the snip!
Thank you again for sharing your experience.

Anonymous

October will be a year since I took the IUV Mirela out of my body. It was y very strange course of action in this time. Soon after the removal nothing incredible have happened. In January I had some kind of psychological problems. My HB was convinced I was going out of my mind. Now I'm sure there it had something to do with the imbalance of hormones. I was just crying and crying and crying...and arguing and crying and so on. In February this crazy period has stopped. After that my mood improved a lot. First time after five years I felt like I'm alive. Not going crazy about every little thing. AND finally my sex libido improved. Ok we don't do it three times a day (like before children). But when we do it I don't feel disgust anymore. I don't feel it like "rape" and I actually enjoy make love with my HB. No more hormonal contraceptives in my body ever again! Thank you. This page actually saved my marriage and my life. :-)

How do you control your PMS?: