Anyone using the Mirena IUD have a low sex drive? Mine is almost non existant! :o(

By April 24, 2009 - 1:10pm

Anonymous

I thought it was just me.. Ive had the mirena for a couple of months and my sex drive is very low..i can be in the mood and once we get to going boom there it goes.. i feel so bad because my husband looks forward to sex but i just dont feel the same .. Im overall happy with the weight gain beause ive been a skinny girl all my life.. idk what to do

Anonymous

Idk how your sex drives decreased!!!!! Mine increased so much that I'm never satisfied and want sex at the very least 4 times a day. I used to be indifferent about sex but now it's like my body needs it so much it's just a hassle. Plus now I get those pesky orgasm induced headaches. Ugh!

OMG!!! me too!!! i used to be on the pill and my sex drive was 0, really nothing i could go months without any and I wouldn't even miss it!!!

Now I NEED sex at least 3 times a week, plus my orgasms are way more intense. I don't get the headaches, but more of a lighthead instead!!!

I had the worse periods, extremely heavy to the point in which I got anemia, fybroids, I threw up because of the cramps, my blood pressure would drop, it was awful.

I know it is not for everyone but mirena did change my life, I am fuctional now when i get my period, it is very light and it lasts very little.

I have been on Mirena about 10 years now. I almost have no sex drive... We do not plan to have anymore children. What are other alternatives instead of the Mirena that doesn't affect your libido?

HERWriter Guide (reply to Joeherr)

Hi Joeherr

Your husband can have a vasectomy - it's not a difficult or dangerous procedure and he's back to normal in 48 hours. You will then be drug free and have no fears of pregnancy (once he gets the all clear).

You can also try the birth control pill or use condoms although condoms are a pain for a committed couple, IMO. There are many options that you can talk to your doctor about.

I wrote an article on all types of birth control, you can take a look at it here:
http://www.empowher.com/birth-control/content/birth-control-what-works-what-doesn-t-and-what-s-best-you

I had the mirena coil for 10 years. I gained so much weight, had a low mood, no interest in sex at all. My husband always blamed the coil, but I dismissed him. I recently got sterilized and had the coil removed. I feel so different in myself, feel like a young woman again. My moods have improved dramatically, I`ve already started to loose weight and my husband is very pleased to have me back...... ;-)

(reply to whoknows)

Did you get the tub ligation ? How long before you felt back to normal?

Anonymous

I had my Mirena for about 15 months. At first I was really happy with it - had some bloating and cramps, but I figured that was just my body getting used to it. Not having a period was great. After about 6 months, things settled down a bit so that I felt generally "normal", but my sex drive was ZERO. We still had sex 1-2 times/week because I know it's important to my husband, but I just wasn't all that into it and he could tell. I had a hard time getting turned on, never actually achieved orgasm, and we had to use lube because my body wasn't making any. Well, I got it out about a month ago - libido has already returned and, to be totally blunt, I get super wet now. I'm 37 and I feel like a teenager again. It was a really good choice for me and my husband - it's made a huge difference in our relationship and sex life. I went back on the pill, which I'm not super happy about because of all the risks of stroke for an "older" woman (ahem). But...I'm fit, don't smoke, have low blood pressure, eat healthy, etc...so my Dr agreed that the risk is still minimal for me. Really wanted to love the IUD and wish science would come up with a better birth control.

Anonymous

After reading your comments I really need to make the appointment to get it removed my sex drive has disappeared altogether but just wondering what other methods of contraception have you decided on using

Anonymous

After two years of severe pains during my period, ovulation and sometimes in between causing an increased use of painkillers, as well as prolonged periods and a normally high sex drive completely gone, making me feel like there's something wrong with me, I finally got an appointment to have it removed next week. I hope it will have the same effect for me and my incredibly patient partner. Fingers crossed!