Q: 

Anyone using the Mirena IUD have a low sex drive? Mine is almost non existant! :o(

By April 24, 2009 - 1:10pm

I'm defenately going to make my appointment to remove it I want to be myself I'm done with mirena.

Anonymous

So, I'm really not crazy! I've had my mirena for 6 yrs....and I can honestly say, I don't remember what it feels like to have a sex drive. I thought there was something wrong with me. I love my boyfriend very much, but only have sex to make him happy. And it's as dry as a desert down there! Plus...I have gained about 50 lbs in the past 6 years....no matter how hard in try, I can't lose weight. I honestly believe that it's because of the Mirena. Definitely time to get it out!

Same thing here, except I gained 100 pounds! Just had it out 9/8/15 & out of nowhere on 10/3/15 I liked sex again, my husband is sooo happy, we were really just roommates the past 6 years with weekly benefits for his happiness only. I am hoping I can manage to lose this weight because no master what I did while on this bc from hell nothing worked and my doctor kept telling me to go to weight watchers!

Anonymous

Ok guys,Im a male here on the other side of the problem.I applaud all of you for actually making the decision to remove it,but my lady has had hers for 5 years and wont take it out till 7 bc she sees europe leaves it in that long.She will not go to the dr,she will not try any kind of suppliment she just tells me she doesnt like sex anymore and when it comes up almost leaves me over it.I only want to help her I mean of course Im a guy and I need sex but this has gotten deeper with mood swings and just refusing to admit theres a problem.I truly love my lady and I dont want her to leave me but she is so agitated about sex,hates it,we used to have the best ever!Could anybody give me any ideas or resources I can show her to make her believe this can be fixed and it IS the stupid ring.

I'm European and the doctor told me to leave it in for a maximum of five years - NOT seven! However, I had it removed after 2 because all of the problems I had with it and I (as well as my boyfriend) feel waaaay better now. Show her this page and hopefully she'll understand that it's for her own good. Best of luck.

I am so glad I had mine out, but I never relized it was affecting me I just thought I didnt like sex anymore.

Not sure what I would have said if my husband came up with this solution. I was always bad at taking birth control so unless he went and got a vasectomy (of course after discussing it with me) I felt this was the best choice. The weight gain was what got me to even look on line for possible connections.

Show her this page. Show her other women have had her same issues and that she's not alone. It's lonely in a depressed mind. Knowing you're not alone might help.

I thank you for sharing your experience. It was very similar to my wife. She did have it removed last February after I had a vasectomy. Unfortunately it has not panned out like I hoped it would. I think in her lack of desire, but accommodating me while having the IUD in lead to a lot of resentment (plus other things in our history). Here we are 8 months later and we are at a standstill (it's been almost 4 months since anything).
I agree she needs to have it taken out as that might help you out. I have read on this post that for some women it may take up to a year to get the groove back. We are working our way through anxieties- going to marital counseling (for 6 months now).
I am sorry that you are going through this. It is just a hard thing for everyone involved. If nothing else, it has caused me to increase my faith. Please pray for marriages affected by this.
Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous

I had my IUD placed 2 years ago, I bled and cramped for 3 months straight! I had to go back to my OB for estrogen pills. My sex drive was OK for the first year but since then it has decreased to zero! I don't want to be touched, kissed, cuddled anything! Let alone even be able to be turned on. I used to be such an energetic person gym 5 times a week now I can barely wake up for work. my appointment to get it removed is tomorrow I can't wait!

Anonymous

This has been the most amazing thing I have read. I'm bipolar, I have major depressive disorder, adhd, adhd general anxiety disorder. I was "under control" until I got the mirena. I was actually hospitalized twice for depression. Ib thought it was just because of what all I had, but like I said, prior to mirena, iv felt "normal". Also, I have virtually no sex drive. In fact I hate sex. And that's the most depressing thing to me. I used to love sex and my husband loved that I loved sex. Now, I hate even being touched. I already have an appointment set to get my gives tied. We have the beautiful boys. I hope I return back to my old self once the mirena is gone. Reading some of these comments though gives me a little bit of hope. I hate the depression I suffer from, and my family suffers too. Wish me luck!