Are adhessions very painfull?

By September 5, 2011 - 2:17pm

I have been diagnosed with Crohn's for 32 years. I have had many surgeries during that time. I have had my rectum removed, all my large intestines, illeum, and 2/3 of my small intestines removed (because of fistulas, perforations, resections, and adhessions), total historectomy, gall bladder removed. For 8 months I have had an increase of pain in the pelvic area. To the point of needing pain med every day for moderate to severe pain. I do have an active vaginal fistula from my small intestines with varying drainage amounts. My doctor says I have a "volatile pelvic". Meaning that every thing has fallen down into my pelvic because I have nothing to hold it up and it probably is full of adhessions also. Please help me to understand what is going on and what can be done to help without surgery. Surgery is so out of the question. They say more surgery would affect my nutrition and hydration absorbtion. I already struggle with this daily. Thank you for your time.

Dear cherylsherri

You health problems are pretty severe - I'm sorry you're going through so much.

I have submitted your question to one of our medical experts for review. Please check back here in the next few days for an answer.

HERWriter Guide (reply to Susan Cody)

Hi again cherylsherri

Our expert sent his response :

"The only non-surgical option really is the use of pessaries but even that is not ideal. If there is active entero-vaginal fistulas then having a pessary in the vagina can actually make infections more possible. A gynecologic oncologists who does full time bowel and gyn surgery is the best option for an opinion. "

Please let me know what you think and I hope this has helped.

Thank you Susan. Your suggestion of seeing a gnecologic oncologists sounds like a good idea. I have never heard of such a specialist. I know my health seems bad right now but I have great hopes for tomorrows. My sister is the best support I could ever ask for. She is always there to help or just to keep me laughing. With my doctors, sister, and prayers any thing is possible. I'm happy to have found this site. It is another extention of support and information highway that can make a difference.

Thanks again,

HERWriter Guide (reply to cherylsherri)

Hi Sherri!

I'm so glad we could help, or at least point you in the right direction. Please stay in touch with us and let us know how you're getting on.

After going through so much, I really hope a permanent solution is found.

Crohn's Disease

Crohn's Disease Guide