Are eye infections a side effect of botox injections?

I have dystonia and I have botox injections every 3 months. So far this year I have had 3 eye infections - is this related to the botox?

Thanks for your question and welcome to EmpowHer!

Is your type of dystonia Blepharospasm? Which is an uncontrollable eye twitch? I am assuming it is, based on getting Botox and consequently getting eye infections. Are the Botox injections around your eyes?

Eye infections are not generally considered to be a side effect of Botox, although there are so many potential side effects, it's hard to sort through what could be causing what!

One thing of note is that you may have had an eye infection right at the time of your first Botox shot and since you are getting Botox for dystonia every three months, it may be the same infection that you're fighting. People who give Botox shots are taught to examine the area being treated very carefully for any signs of infection as Botox can exacerbate this.

It should be noted that 44% of people who get Botox report some form of side effect. Most are minimal but it's a large percentage nonetheless.

My suggestion is that you have this evaluated straight away. Obviously we cannot tell you if this connected has validity but if these infections have only happened since the Botox shots, then further investigation is warranted.

Please call your health care professional and let us know the result - we look forward to hearing from you!

Eye Infections

Eye Infections Guide