Weight Loss

ask: Are there any charities that will help me remove extra skin after severe weight loss

By Fierytopaz

I lost over 120 lbs about 17 years ago. Then 4 years ago I lost another 35 lbs and have kept it off. Unfortunately, I have been left with a large amount of skin in the crease of my buttock area. I have Ankylosing spondylitis and Systemic Psoriatic Arthrtis which make me prone to fungal infections of the skin. The fact that my skin lies on top of itself in this area increases my risk and causes me to get fungal infections on a regular basis. I cannot afford to have the surgery. Are there any resources for me out there? I hate to ask, but this is a threat to my health, and seriously uncomfortable. Please let me know if there is any hope for me.

Thank you for any help or advice you can give me.

Dear FieryTopaz,

Congrats on your weight loss! I am unaware of specific charities that would pay for surgeries for those in your situation. However, what you can do is write a letter telling your story and address it to different plastic surgeons. Don't email them, there's no guarantee that they'll receive it and emails are easily deleted. You can start by sending it to those surgeons in your area and then expand out. Many doctors do perform a certain amount of pro-bono work per year for those in your circumstances. Look into out of state or out of area surgeons as well-- worst case scenario is that you'd have to pay for a flight and hotel which wouldn't add up to nearly the same amount as the actual surgery.

Best of luck,

Rosa

Do you have problems with your weight during the holiday season?: