Are there other options for taking progesterone?

I've been diagnosed as perimenopausal. I’m currently on Estrogel and have tried two different versions of progesterone (Climara pro weekly patch and vaginal suppository). I had bad reactions to both versions of the progesterone within the first week of use (fatigue, high anxiety, depression, etc.). Are there any other options for taking progesterone?

Firstly, can you tell us why you are on the progesterone? Being perimenopausal isn't a disease or "condition" - it's just a life stage. I get a bit nervous when people say they have been "diagnosed" as being in a life stage - it's a bit like an older tween being diagnosed with puberty!

But some women may have very adverse symptoms - can you tell us yours so we can look into alternatives for you, besides the progesterone that is causing such side effects?

Thank you for your response Susan! My apologies for my delayed response! "Diagnosed" might not have been the best word to use. My Gynecologist told me this after reviewing my blood work results. My estrogen levels were very low and I was put on Estrogel (which I have no problems with). But as you know, you have to take progesterone with estrogen to reduce your risk of uterine cancer. But when we tried to add the progesterone, that's when I experienced the issues. I have an appointment with my doctor next week to go over alternative options. My main perimenopausal symptoms include: hot flashes and sweats, insomnia, weight gain, mood changes/irritability, memory loss and lower back pain. My other long-term concern is bone loss. I look forward to hearing back from you. Thank you!

Hi again Anon!

Thanks for your update.

Your symptons do seem pretty typical for peri or menopause and I know that hot flashes are a bear to deal with, as is insomnia.

Bone loss is something every woman needs to be aware of as they grow older. Here's our detailed Osteoporosis page: http://www.empowher.com/condition/osteoporosis

You're right - you cannot take estrogen alone. Here is an article based on a different kind of progesterone treatment via an IUD. It may not be suitable for you, given your last experience but it might be worth looking into: http://www.empowher.com/endometriosis/content/endometriosis-and-progestin-therapy?page=0,0

Let us know how your doctor visit goes!

Menopause Guide