Are varying levels of blood flow during one's period normal?

By December 19, 2009 - 5:43pm

I have an extremely regular cycle, it's even in sync with the full moon! However, during my period, which lasts 5-6 days, the amount of blood flow is pretty unpredictable. I used to start out with a light day, then two days of heavier flow, and then 1-2 light days. However I've noticed over the past 6 months that the amount of blood has been very sporadic. For example, I might begin with a very heavy flow (3-4 super plus tampons in one day), then have nothing but a few spots for a day or two, and then get a heavy flow before "tapering off" again. It is annoying simply because I am never quite sure of what absorbency level of tampon I should be using. I am 30, have never been on hormonal birth control, and have had only two sexual partners.

Hi meolson

Your issue is actually pretty normal. Our cycles change for many reasons - stress, diet and getting older are some of them as well as having a baby. Most women will say that their period isn't the same as it was, say 15 years ago. As long as you're still pretty regular, this is not something to worry about.

I understand about the unpredictability part though - it's very annoying. Think about getting the "variety pack" specially made for women with a cycle like yours. It contains super plus, super, regular and lights. It might save you some money and you'll have an assortment to pick, based on how your period wants to annoy you that particular month!

But it doesn't sound like this is something worrisome.

Does this help you?