Back to back periods and other odd things

I started a period (after not having one since January) on July 27th. It was a normal period and lasted 5 days. For two days nothing, then brown spotting after having sex for a few days. I started a completely new period on August 6th. What could be happening?

Other odd things that have been happening lately are that after sex I will bleed maybe 1 day. It doesn't hurt, no cramping. I also had the same thing happen after a #2 a few times in the last month. It is definitely vaginal bleeding.

I do have PCOS if that matters.

OB/GYN cannot see me until 8/29.

Thank you for letting us know you have PCOS - it may be directly related to your issue which is probably all hormonally caused.

Symptoms of PCOS can be one or more of the following, yet can be silent for many years:

- Tendency to gain weight (10 to 200 pounds)
- Mood swings (anxiety, depression)
- Fatigue
- Acne
- Excess hair growth on face
- Thinning hair
- Irregular menses
- Poor fertility
- Cystic ovaries

Not all patients have all these symptoms. Some patients don’t have any of these symptoms and they just begin to manifest around perimenopause. A telltale sign that PCOS exists in perimenopausal women is when they have an atypical response to bioIdentical hormone replacement therapy by getting acne or not having relief from hormone therapy of current symptoms.

As mentioned earlier, stress is the most common cause to receptor site changes. Poor sleep, poor nutrition, habitual caffeine and/or alcohol use, synthetic birth control pills and chronic antibiotic use are some main contributors to stress.

So as you read above - some symptoms can rear their heads (irregular/unexpected bleeding) a few times a year and others (no periods for months on end) at other times.

Make sure to document your cycle as best you can for your doctor. Until then there isn't much you can do other than take notes but your appointment isn't too far away.

I wish you the best and please keep us updated.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome Guide