Birth Control and Sun Heat/Rash

By November 15, 2011 - 7:50am

In March of this year I had gone on vacation to Jamaica and I was on the pill. When I got there the first day my skin was fine and completely normal. But by evening or the next day my lips got extremely chapped (they looked swollen almost) and I ended up with bumps all over my face and my hands (not the palm part but the opposite side) also on my arms as well and on my neck. The best way to describe this is when like you get goosebumps and you get bumps obviously it looked like that except it didn’t go away. And the only medication I was taking at that time was the birth control pills. So, what I am wondering is if I got a reaction from the sun/heat because of the pill??? I have never been on the pill and then gone for vacation at a hot place before at the same time….and I might be going again next year and I could possibly be on the pill then as well. I have read in those little pamphlet things that come with birth control pills to avoid sun exposure and at that time I did not think of this at all.

Could it have been possible to get a reaction from the pill??? If so, what can I do to avoid from it happening again? It made it very difficult for me to even go outside and my face just felt so dry and irritated and I did have aloe vera with me but it did not help because it dried up so quick.

Hi pasntai

Some women do experience sun sensitivity when they are on birth control although since you have been on birth control and exposed to the sun before, this may not be the case with you. Sun rash and sun poisoning can happen to anyone frequently - or only once, out of the blue.

I know you wrote to us before about this and it seems like you are very prone to sun rashes. Here is the info we gave you earlier in the year: http://www.empowher.com/community/ask/sun-rash

I know you don't like to be told to avoid a lot of sun but this is something you may have to consider; including seeing lots of the world that doesn't include sitting out in the sun for long periods of time. I can't handle too much heat myself so I have to cool off a lot while on vacation or avoid beach vacations (or handle them wisely) and change my way of vacationing; and I've seen a lot of the world without too much sun exposure!

Sunburn Guide