Bizarre symptoms after robotic hysterectomy. Can anyone help?

By Anonymous April 22, 2010 - 9:20am

I'm 48 years old. Due to a prolapsed uterus, I had a robotic vaginal hysterectomy and oopherectomy 5 months ago. My body has not felt "right" since. My urethral opening in now almost as large as my vaginal opening. After the surgery, I couldn't urinate on my own so I was catheterized to empty my bladder, then I was fine. I had my doc test for bladder infection, but I didn't have one. My doc has not been very helpful, he said I just need more time to heal. I am looking for a new doc. Anyway, my stomach seems hard and enlarged also. But was is also weird, is my hip and leg. Two days after my surgery, I couldn't walk. There was extreme pain in my left hip and leg. Dr. told me to take motrin and that my leg was probably in a bad position during surgery. About once a month, I have severe pain in the same hip and leg that lasts for 3 or 4 days. I take Celebrex to help with the pain. I feel like I'm going crazy with my bizarre symptoms. Can anyone help?

I can relate I had the same problem except the pain is on my right leg. It hurts when I walk and is numb and the pain shoots from my buttocks all the way down my leg and every time I tell my doctor they always say it is normal that I was positioned in different ways during surgery. I am going on almost 6 weeks and still hurting and can barely walk. I still have some discharge too. To me that isn't normal. Don't know what to do just getting more frustrated.

I do have a list of docs in our insurance handbook and I will get second opinion. Thanks.

Hi again, Anon

I received an email from one of our medical doctors who read your question carefully.

Because he has no access to your medical records, or medical history, and cannot provide a physical exam, he is unable to discern what may have happened to cause so much pain.

He suggests you get a second opinion from a board certified OB/GYN in your area - one that specializes in surgery. Do you have one in mind, or a list of doctors in an insurance handbook you may have? Do you need help with this?

Dear Anon

Thank you so much for your question and welcome!

I agree that your symptoms do seem bizarre and I'm sorry you are still going through this, 5 months after your surgery.

I have submitted your question to an expert, as I think he is best qualified to help you. Since the weekend has arrived, it may take several days so please bear with us. Thank you so much and we hope to have an answer for you soon!

Thank you.