bleeding after giving birth

By March 19, 2010 - 2:57am

had the baby but he had to be turned then became border line for transfusion no one told me what happened thinking off having baby no2 whats the chances of it all going well

Hi Lisa,

First, congratulations on your baby! As for your question, bleeding after giving birth is common and usually lasts about 6 weeks and can continue to approximately 3 months. You said that the baby had to be turned before birth, so I am assuming you had a vaginal birth? Is that correct?

You also said on your post that you were borderline for a transfusion. Did you have postnatal hemorrhaging? If so, why did you have it? Was it because the baby was breached?

I would like to answer your questions, but could you please clarify your question?

(reply to Anonymous)

yes it was a vaginal birth as for the rest i have no idear no one came back and told me. when a got out the hospital i had stopped bleeding was in for 5 days.

HERWriter Guide (reply to lisa ben)

Hi again Lisa

I know where you're coming from in terms of "no one told me". Sometimes it seems like doctors just assume that new mothers "get it" and we don't - we need help and explanations!

Can you answer these questions?

1. How long did you bleed altogether?
2. Are you still bleeding?

I'm not quite sure what your question for us is - can you explain it again?

Hi Lisa

In addition to Melissa's great advice, I'd like to say that I bled for 7 weeks with my first, 8 weeks with my second child and a full 3 months with my third. I should have bought stock in Kotex or Carefree!

I had all c-sections and was under the impression one bled less after a c-section but that is not true at all - everyone is different.

Telling us why a transfusion was nearly necessary is a good idea - did you have prolonged labor or a s-section? Any infections before, during or after delivery?

If you didn't have a c-section, was your labor induced or did it start by itself?