Bleeding after gyno and during intercourse

By Anonymous April 5, 2009 - 10:19pm

Hi! I'm 22 and just went for my first time ever to the gyno and he did me a pap and also a vaginal ultrasound. After i came back everything was fine but at night when i went to the bathroom i noticed some very light blood, like if my period had just come but i'm nowhere near my period so i just thought maybe i got irritated there or something because of the tests, so i did not worry, i kept bleeding for like a day and then it stoped, the next day it stopped i had intercourse with my boyfriend and extremely scared he told me i was bleeding during sex, and then we noticed i even spotted the bed, he asked if it could be my period but i know for sure it's not, i don't know if it's the tests they did me because it was my first time or something, but i've never bled so much during sex, not even my first time!! and of course it was extremely embarassing with my bf, if someone could help it would be great!

I have an appointment with the doctor in two weeks to see my pap's result but still I would like to have some sort of calming thoughts....

In general, it's not normal to bleed during or after sex, but some women definitely do bleed after a pap test due to the scraping nature of the test. I would assume that having sex the next day and bleeding was due to the irritation of the pap test the day before.

I'm sure your doctor gave you a vaginal ultrasound because it was your very first pap test but since it's not a standard part of an annual, did he tell you why he was doing it?

Absolutely mention that you bled after his exam and during/after sex the day after the exam when you go in two weeks, but I suspect your cervical area was irritated due to the nature of the test.

Please keep us updated!