bleeding after sex

By Anonymous January 12, 2015 - 3:09am

I stopped taking birth control 10 weeks ago. I got my period on January 2nd after a few days of spotting and my period only lasted 2 days with cramps and relatively heavy bleeding. On Saturday after having sex twice I started to bleed and am still bleeding a day and a half later, using tampons. I took a home urine pregnancy test that was negative. What could be going on?

Thank you for reaching out to us with your concern.

Pregnancy can be ruled out because you are having vaginal bleeding and got a negative result from a home pregnancy test.

Call your gynecologist today. I suspect a hormonal imbalance is the reason for the change in your menstrual cycle and period flow. It could be related to stopping birth control pills. Your doctor knows better than I.