Bleeding after stopping pill, could I be pregnant?

I have been on the pill (Desogen) for about 11 years, I am 28 years old. I decided recently (about 5 days ago) to stop taking it because I would like to conceive in the near future. My last period (on the pill) was April 28th through May 1st. I was unable to start my next pill pack on time (I'm a sunday starter, so it would have been may 2nd). I ended up not being able to start til late Tuesday night (May3rd) and I took two pills (Sunday and monday). Then Wednesday, I know I was supposed to take 2 more (for Tuesday and Wednesday) but I only took Tuesdays. Then Thursday Night I took two, and by Friday, I was actually on fridays pill, took that, and then continued normally til Sunday. During this bout of very poor pill taking behavior, I had a lot of unprotected intercourse, and my partner ejaculated inside me each time. I decided this past Monday (May 10th) that I was going to discontinue the pill. I had mixed feelings about doing it without finishing the pack, but I spoke to my mom and she said it was ok to stop anytime. So Sunday's (the 9th) was the last pill I took in my pack. I had unprotected intercourse on monday night. Yesterday (Thursday) morning, my partner and I again had unprotected sex at around 930 AM. At about noon, we were at lunch and I had a severe bout of nausea and ran to the bathroom. I found I had a light pink color on the toilet paper, nothing in my underwear. As the day progressed the light pink turned into brown sticky discharge, and by the evening, I used a regular tampon because I didn't know if it was going to turn into a period. Overnight, I also used a tampon and when I took it out this morning, it was definitely full, mostly brown and some rust color. Definitely a lot more "clumpy" and "mucousy" than the periods I experienced on the pill...

So with all that being said, I assume I am experiencing a typical withdrawal bleed from stopping the pill after only 1 week of very poorly taking it. I am concerned because I know women do get pregnant when they miss pills, etc. and I'm wondering if I could possibly be pregnant, even though I have had this bleeding/discharge. I also would like to know when I could take an EPT just to be sure one way or another. if I had been taking my pills correctly, I would have expected my period on May 26th.

Thanks, and look forward to your response!!

Thanks again Susan, I will definitely update with my (hopefully!) progress. Also, one last question for now...is implantation bleeding a lot different than the kind of bleeding I am experiencing? I would also like to know the characteristics of implantation bleeding for future reference as well....since I have read that some women mistake them for a period, and others say they are much different than a period.

(reply to Anonymous)

Hi, Anon,

Let me echo Susan's wishes for good luck in conceiving!

Implantation bleeding, if there is any at all, tends to be just like spotting. It's more along the lines of one day of a panty liner as opposed to a few days of tampons or pads. And some women have none at all. BabyMed.com refers to it as "scanty" and usually pinkish or brownish in color.

Anonymous (reply to Diane Porter)

Thanks Diane! I'm guessing what I had (it has now stopped as of yesterday, Sunday) was just my body reacting to not being on the pill anymore. I don't know what to expect now, I'm just going to stay healthy, not stress, and hope for the best! I've heard some women can get pregnant pretty soon after stopping the pill, even after being on it for so long, so hopefully, I will be one of those women too!!

Dear Anon

Thanks for your post and welcome to Empowher! We also appreciate the detail of your post since it stops any back-and-forth that complicates everything - so thank you also for that!

It does sound a bit like good old-fashioned withdrawal bleeding. Your bleeding may have been different (clumping etc) due to it not being as controlled by hormones the way it is on the Pill.

It's good that you are looking to get pregnant so you're not worried about pregnancy, but in terms of taking a pregnancy test, you can do two things:

Wait it out for one month since your last 'official period' - this will be around May 26th. However, you can test as early as May 21st if you ensure you have a test that is reliable 3-5 days before your expected date.

Or - consider this current (withdrawal) bleeding as your newest period and test about 22 days from today, which would be around June 5th (approx.)

Of course, if your period comes at any time, you have your answer right away.

From what you have said, I think it's unlikely you are pregnant but there are no guarantees with the pill so the possibility is definitely there. For now, it's a waiting game but not a very long one, only a week or so (even sure I'm sure you don't think that!).

Does what I say make sense to you, Anon?

Thank you for your quick reply, and it makes complete sense. I bought Accu clear early pregnancy tests..Are you familiar with this brand? Will the 21st be too early to test with this brand?

Also, I had irregular periods prior to starting the pill 11 years ago..does that mean it is going to be difficult to conceive? I did go off the pill 5 years ago for about nine months and had irregular periods then as well, but was not sexually active during that time.

I am hoping it will happen in the next few months!! :)

Thanks again

Hi again!

Most brand-name tests are very accurate, including the one you have. When taken correctly (and at the right time meaning not too early in the month - the time of day doesn't matter anymore), they are almost 100% accurate. The box will you it's accuracy in terms of taking the test before your expected period date.

Unfortunately, irregular periods do make it a bit more tricky to gauge when you ovulate but my mantra has always been to have sex every other day from day 8 of your period, to day 21. This does not guarantee pregnancy, of course, but it does decrease the chance that you'll miss ovulation (quite significantly). It worked like a charm for me although in retrospect I didn't know how lucky I was!

I also hope you can get pregnant in the next few months but be prepared to wait up to one year. This is considered a normal waiting time - from 1 month to 12 months in a healthy woman and man, especially at your age (you are still young). If, after 12 months, you've had no luck, you and your partner both need a fertility check up. And I know you'll be anxious but most doctors will make you wait!

Best of luck with conception and we're all about updates here so let us know when you have some big news for us! And if you are having difficulties or need help and support in any other way, we're hear for you on a daily basis.

Our best wishes and lots of all that baby-dust we women wish upon each other!