ask: bleeding after taking emergency contraception?

Hi, I took the morning after pill a few days after my period had ended on a Saturday, 8 days later I'm bleeding. It doesn't look like period, its not too heavy but quite a lot, brownish in colour and when I wipe its blood red. It's been bleeding for 24 hours now and no signs of it fading. Is this normal and could it be my period? If not what is it? I have taken the same pill few years ago and this didnt happen then.

Hi Rosa, thank you for the reply.

I'm aware of the side effect of delaying the period, however mine is not delayed, I'm bleeding very early. I'm not sure if this is my period or other bleeding. Can the emergency contraceptive pill make period come 2 weeks early?

If its not my period, is this anything to worry about?

Rosa Cabrera RN (reply to Anonymous)

Not only can they cause a delay in period but a change in your period altogether. Meaning that you may start bleeding sooner than expected, as you are now.

Hope this clarifies things for you,

Emergency contraceptives can cause a change in you period. This does not mean that you are pregnant or that anything is wrong with you, it is simply a side effect. If your regularly scheduled period is late by more than one week then please take a pregnancy.

Good luck,

Note: I'm not due my period till at least another 2 weeks.

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :