Facebook Pixel

Bleeding too much during the period and so painful

By January 29, 2015 - 2:08pm
Rate This

I had an ultrasound examination and the result is fibroid uterus. I asked my GP if I can do a Pap test and she said NO. I read many things and I would like to know if is better to do a Cryoablation. I want to prevent a cancer.

Thank you very much,

Add a Comment2 Comments

Dear Susan,

I would like to thank you for all the information. I think I will opt for emoblization.



January 30, 2015 - 3:14am
HERWriter Guide

Hi Gabriela

Thanks for your post! 

I'm sorry to read of your fibroids - they can be painful. 

Fibroids are benign (noncancerous) growths in the wall of the uterus. The uterus is the reproductive organ where a fetus grows. Fibroids often grow into the uterine cavity. In rare cases, they may protrude from the uterus toward nearby organs. Fibroids may be very small or may grow to eight or more inches in diameter. Usually more than one fibroid is present. About 20%-30% of women of childbearing age, and as many as half of all women, have fibroids. Many do not realize it. Most do not have symptoms until their late 30s or 40s.

Treatments include:

Pain Medication

Over-the-counter pain pills ease mild symptoms. Prescription pain relievers may be needed. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs reduce inflammation and help relieve cramping.

Hormonal Therapy

Hormone medications, which decrease estrogen levels, are an option if you are not trying to become pregnant. Synthetic hormones create an artificial menopause. The drugs shrink fibroids. The drugs also lessen the pain by decreasing the supply of estrogen to the uterus. However, fibroids can return once you stop taking the drugs. These drugs are often used to reduce fibroid size prior to surgery.


Surgery is considered if:

  • The uterus becomes extremely large.
  • The fibroids are interfering with fertility.
  • Symptoms are severe.


Surgical procedures include:


Myomectomy is the removal of the fibroids only and leaving the uterus intact. This can be done by:

  • Open surgery that involves a single large abdominal incision
  • Laparoscopy â€”using a lighted fiberoptic tube and requiring only a few small incisions
  • Hysteroscopy—which involves the insertion of a hysteroscope through the cervix into the uterine cavity


Because it preserves the uterus, myomectomy is commonly performed on younger women who may want to have children. However, conceiving may still be hard. The surgery is less successful if there are many fibroids, because some may grow back.

Uterine Fibroid Ablation

An alternative to surgical removal, uterine fibroid ablation (also called myolysis) uses heat to disrupt the blood supply to the fibroid. This causes the fibroid to shrink.

Total Hysterectomy

Total hysterectomy is the removal of the entire uterus. This may be done through a vaginal or abdominal incision. Hysterectomy is the definitive treatment for fibroids. But you will be unable to have children if you have this surgery.

Nonsurgical Options

Uterine Fibroid Embolization

Fibroids need a good supply of blood to grow. Without blood, the tumors shrink. Doctors can perform a uterine fibroid embolization (also called uterine artery embolization) to stop the blood flow. The doctor makes small cuts in your groin. She threads a catheter into your arteries that supply your uterus with blood. Tiny particles of plastic or gelatin are passed through the catheter. The particles make their way to the fibroids and block blood from reaching the tumors.

Focused Ultrasound Therapy

Focused ultrasound therapy is a noninvasive treatment using an MRI. This procedure may not be ideal for patients who are very overweight, have very large fibroids, or have extensive scars from prior abdominal surgeries.

Gabriela, I don't think a hysterectomy or anything like that is needed. But you can ask for other treatments that I wrote of above in order to shrink them. 

A pap test is a test to check for cervical health, specifically cervical cancer and has nothing to do with uterine fibroids. 

However, you should be getting a pap test every 2-3 years as part of your ongoing care.



January 29, 2015 - 3:58pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.

Uterine Fibroids

Get Email Updates

Uterine Fibroids Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!