Is blood clots during a nosebleed normal?

I am 21 and this morning my nose started bleeding. I bled for over 20 minutes, heavily, and the blood was bright red. About 15 mins into the nosebleed, i felt like something was stuck at the back of my nose/throat. When I lifted my head, I felt something in my mouth so I spit it out and it was a bright red blod clot. What's wrong with me?

Anonymous

same here that I have same nose bleeding problem due to injury when I was still a kid. I assume that my nose is not symmetrical and the slight bent caused an area of inside of my nose is really fragile and it's always the same spot bleeding. Sometimes it's very mild and it stops on its own. Sometimes it bleeds a lot and the big clot forms. I also have the feeling that if I try to simply stop bleeding, it would bleed forever. As soon as I blow those clots out, it stops bleeding. It's pretty counter-intuitive since when you bleed you tend to think not blowing since it feels like stimulation for the opening, but actually I have to remove those clots to stop bleeding as if those clots open up my veins. Nose bleeding is not fatal, but really annoying. I wish we can all be cured one day.

Anonymous

I typically get nose bleeds in the spring and I noticed how someone said that blood clots is how your body stops the bleeding, but mine won't stop until the clot is gone... Do you know anything about that..?

Anonymous

The blood clots are normal for me, I used to go to the nurse all the time with nose bleeds as a kid and I have now learned it is normal for the blood clots to form because it your body's way of stopping the blood. It is the same as if you were to get a cut, these little parts of blood called platelets cause the blood to starting clumping up which closes up the cut and acts like a barrier to stop the blood from getting out. If they are larger and more frequent I would go to the doctor just to be safe. And one last tip that has helped my nose bleeds as I got older that is really recomended is to sleep with a humidifier because the dry air can cause or worsen the nose bleeds.

Anonymous

this happens to me every time I nosebleed, and it is frequent.
i always blow my nose to remove them... but when I was younger I used to pull them out with my finger and it feels weird. I have been nose bleeding for about 10 years now. and I just finished nose bleeding 5 minutes ago :)

My son had one of these nose bleeds last night, and the doctor told him not to blow them out, were you instructed by a doctor telling you to blow them out?

Hi, me too. Ive had nosebleeds since i was a kid since i was 10, the 1st i remember. And now im 32 and its getting worse. Its now happening loke everyday and i just had the worst episode 10mins ago which prompted me to read online and im sure going to take another doctor's appointment. And it has always that big clot that makes me wonder where do these hige clots come from and what is causing them. Is it time to be worried now? Coz i was always told by my doctors its not dangerous. But why does it bleed out of the blue even when im sleeping? Have you got any info?..

I highly recommend you ask your doctor to do the generic testing for Hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia (HHT). Its a common blood vessel disorder, and the only real symptom is chronic nosebleeds that get worse and worse as you age, generally. Some other symptoms (that arent as common; I have HHT and I dont have these) are little spots on your hands, arms, tongue, or lips caused by telangiectasias (the same things that grow in your nose and make your nose blees). Even though the only common symptom is nosebleeds, its important to get tested so that if you have the condition, you can get screened every 5 years for AVMs in your lungs or your brain. As well, if you have an HHT diagnosis, they can help you manage nosebleeds in ways that work best for HHT, and you can qualify for a specialty laser cotterization and even iron transfusions in some places. Get it checked! Apparently over 80% of people with HHT are undiagnosed.

Anonymous

Blood clots are completely normal when having a nose bleed. infact it's very healthy. Forming a blood clot is what makes the nose stop bleeding.

If you have regular nose bleeds however, I would ask the doctor for a blood test as you may have a mild blood disorder such as hemaphillia (when you have thinner than normal blood)

Anonymous

Don't worry when i was 13? I had nose bleeds every afternoon for a week and then one afternoon a large clot came out of my nose it hurt when it came out i thought it was a tumor or something. And after that I haven't had a nose bleed that was 7 years ago now.

Anonymous

when i was younger i would constantly get nose bleeds, and for me, they wouldnt stop until i pulled out what i called 'the blood booger' lol. basically every time my nose bled it would cause a massive clot and wouldnt stop until i removed it from my nose. i've done this countless times. i no longer get regular nose bleeds and don't remember the last time i felt a clot, but trust me it is perfectly normal.

Nose Bleed

Nose Bleed Guide