Q: 

Is blood clots during a nosebleed normal?

I am 21 and this morning my nose started bleeding. I bled for over 20 minutes, heavily, and the blood was bright red. About 15 mins into the nosebleed, i felt like something was stuck at the back of my nose/throat. When I lifted my head, I felt something in my mouth so I spit it out and it was a bright red blod clot. What's wrong with me?

My son had a few nose bleeds before sometimes frequent with large gaps before they reoccur.He's down with a cold, joint pain,throbbing headache, nose bleeds with some clots. Can you offer any suggestions?

HERWriter Guide (reply to Mzikkaize)

Hello Mzikkaize

Do you have a whole house dehumidifier? Or at least a humidifier in his room? You may find it helps.
My daughter suffers frequent nosebleeds too - we took her to the doctor who said she'll likely grow out of it. Time will tell, I suppose. It has been going on for well over a year.

Anonymous

I used to get nosebleeds alot when I was younger. Everytime I get nose bleeds I always have huge Blood Clots come out. Im 15 now and still get them and I'm still alive. I don't think it's something to worry about. I always thought it was normal.

Anonymous

I am 20 yr old and ever since I could remember I've had spontaneous nosebleeds whether it was because there was too much heat or too cold. There have also been times when I have touched my nose the slightest bit and started bleeding, anyway it seems to be a genetic thing in my family, possibly hemophilia... Do not worry, I have had it for a long time, yet I'm still here. Blood clots coming out through my nose and mouth, like worms. Doctors seem to be shitty at detecting the cause or doing anything about it, I know. My mom tells me she thinks it's great that I get them bc I do suffer from chronic headaches/migraines(unknown cause), and sometimes it seems as though it were my body's way of regulating itself. I do, however, fear a stroke in the future.

That is very odd, because I am also 20 years old and suffered from migraines since a younger age (also unknown cause), and I get the most spontaneous nose bleeds, I could go months without one or for a week straight get them daily. I was very worried, but it's good to see I am not alone!

Anonymous

Hey so I never have nose bleeds but yesterday after a normal day at work when I got home my nose just started dripping with blood I had a towel there and after 2 mins I pull out s massive blood clot my nose was bleeding for only about 5 mins but like I said this doesn't happen to me ever so I'm not so sure this was just a normal thing I'm worried something is up

Anonymous

Hi my son is 4yo and is experiencing a huge amount of blood clots coming out of his nose, it's been happening for 4days now, I've​ taken him to the doctors twice & his doctor said not to worry to much about it. Since leaving the doctors his blood clots seem to be getting alot bigger. Do I need to be concerned about it more?

Anonymous

Hi! My senior year of high school a capillary in my nose burst and my nose gushed blood for an hour plus. I got an extremely long blood clot and, as disgusting as it is, pulled it out through my nose. Apparently it is completely normal, as your body clots blood to stop bleeding. However every time I get a nosebleed, I still monitor it, for instance a short nosebleed should not produce a big clot, that's a sign of a problem.

Anonymous

When my daughter was about 12 years old, she would get these nosebleeds with horrific blood clots. She said they were very painful as they came out. Then one day at age 15 she got a horrible headache. I thought it was a migraine. She was not able to walk and was throwing up. Took her to the ER. After testing it was discovered she had bleeding in the brain. Eventually she had surgery. After surgery it was discovered she had an AVM. Probably born with it. Do not know if the clots were related or not....But she doesn't have them any longer. She is now 43 and no side effects from it all. Point being, something like that should definitely be explored. She almost died!!!

Anonymous

Hi my son is 18 years old and he has been having blood clot nose bleeds for the past 2 days should he be seen by his doctor or go to the ER the blood clots are the size of a quarter as well as he's been spitting them up

Tags:

Nose Bleed

Nose Bleed Guide