Is blood clots during a nosebleed normal?

I am 21 and this morning my nose started bleeding. I bled for over 20 minutes, heavily, and the blood was bright red. About 15 mins into the nosebleed, i felt like something was stuck at the back of my nose/throat. When I lifted my head, I felt something in my mouth so I spit it out and it was a bright red blod clot. What's wrong with me?

Anonymous

For the past month-month and a half i have been getting really bad mucus/flem build up in my sinus canal or built up stuck on my throat between my tonsils. Thing is it's very very sticky to where I can't swallow it or cough it up so I have to use tweezers or my fingers to reach in and pull it out. It's really sticky and stretchy plus very irritating. Don't have insurance with the new job yet so can't go to doctor. So I have no idea whyat is wrong with me. But this morning out of nowhere I started noticing blood in the built up flem/mucus.. Well I went and blew my nose I blew out a big clump of really dark blood. Well I thought it was done after that but I kept tasting blood and sure enough not even hr later there it was again. Another big clump of blood. This time some of the blood come draining down my nose. O yeah and blood only came from one side of nostrils. Well the clumps finally stopped but the blood is still draining down my throat and building up with the built up sticky flem/mucus. Also started getting the world's worst stomach pain. Felt like I got a bat to the belly a hundred times. Please please please any thoughts of what it may be would be very appreciated. Any ideas where I'll have a better idea on what to look up. I couldn't never find nothing online

Anonymous

So when you have a nose bleed it is normal for a clot to come out?

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Yes, it is normal for the clot to come out when you next blow your nose.

Regards,

Anonymous

Hi there
My husband had a nose bleed yesterday and then again this morning when he was on he's way to work he freaked out a bit cse this sort of thing never happened to him before so he admitted himself into hospital. apparently they burnt some blood vessel on the Inside of he's nose to stop the bleeding but it got worse he has major blood clots coming out and he feels very weak and light headed. He's also coughing out blood. Please help I'm clueless.
One more thing is It safe for him to sleep on he's back or should he sleep sitting up?
Taahirah

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Hello Taahirah,

Either contact his primary care physician immediately or take him back to the hospital. This is serious and must be evaluated.

Regards,

Anonymous

As a child I always had nose bleeds my mom though it was something serious but then as I got older it stop and only happened once a year or none a year. Then 2 days ago a had the worst nosebleed and I'm having a really bad one now and its been happening for two days now. The nose bleed isn't light it's very heavy and takes forever to stop. I've had a sore throat, felt like i was going to faint while at work, a headache, sneezing, and a cough. I don't know if it's allergies or I'm getting sick but the nose bleeds are so annoying I think this one is finish but if I take the tissue off and the blood clot comes out it might start back up for another 5 to 10 minutes. I should probably go see a doctor shouldn't I?

Yes see a dr it could be high blood pressure or allergies even low iron but the clots are a good sign, the the bleed is about to stop ,well wishes
Vaneeta

Anonymous

same here that I have same nose bleeding problem due to injury when I was still a kid. I assume that my nose is not symmetrical and the slight bent caused an area of inside of my nose is really fragile and it's always the same spot bleeding. Sometimes it's very mild and it stops on its own. Sometimes it bleeds a lot and the big clot forms. I also have the feeling that if I try to simply stop bleeding, it would bleed forever. As soon as I blow those clots out, it stops bleeding. It's pretty counter-intuitive since when you bleed you tend to think not blowing since it feels like stimulation for the opening, but actually I have to remove those clots to stop bleeding as if those clots open up my veins. Nose bleeding is not fatal, but really annoying. I wish we can all be cured one day.

I broke my nose when i was 2 and it exposed an atery. I've had it cauterized (probably too many times) and I've had a septoplasty. The surgery was extreme but it worked. No nose bleeds for 2 years. However, just recently I got a sinus infection and my nose has been bleeding a lot. About as bad as they used to be but they stop faster.

Anyway, from 20 years of nose bleeds I've learned that the bleeding actually stops pretty fast. Its the (in my case) GIANT golf ball sized clot up in there that continues to drip that makes it look like you're still bleeding. I've grown to know when to very gently blow it out. Sometimes you need to go through a few clots to get it to stop but don't be affraid to get that thing out of there.

I think the biggest thing regarding handling them is keeping calm. My nose bleeds used to be as if someone cracked the faucet on inside my nose, but only once have did I lose enough blood to think I might need to go to the ER. Low and behold it actually stopped as I was on my way out the door).

Nose bleeds are inconvenient, messy, and freaky. However, keeping calm keeps your heart rate down and that speeds up the stopping of it significantly.

This is EXACTLY what happens to my daughter! As soon as she blows the clot out the bleeding stops. I have not seen this before and am wondering if that's a sign of a bigger problem? Or is it more normal than I think?

Nose Bleed

Nose Bleed Guide