Is blood clots during a nosebleed normal?

I am 21 and this morning my nose started bleeding. I bled for over 20 minutes, heavily, and the blood was bright red. About 15 mins into the nosebleed, i felt like something was stuck at the back of my nose/throat. When I lifted my head, I felt something in my mouth so I spit it out and it was a bright red blod clot. What's wrong with me?

Anonymous

this happens to me every time I nosebleed, and it is frequent.
i always blow my nose to remove them... but when I was younger I used to pull them out with my finger and it feels weird. I have been nose bleeding for about 10 years now. and I just finished nose bleeding 5 minutes ago :)

Hi, me too. Ive had nosebleeds since i was a kid since i was 10, the 1st i remember. And now im 32 and its getting worse. Its now happening loke everyday and i just had the worst episode 10mins ago which prompted me to read online and im sure going to take another doctor's appointment. And it has always that big clot that makes me wonder where do these hige clots come from and what is causing them. Is it time to be worried now? Coz i was always told by my doctors its not dangerous. But why does it bleed out of the blue even when im sleeping? Have you got any info?..

Anonymous

Blood clots are completely normal when having a nose bleed. infact it's very healthy. Forming a blood clot is what makes the nose stop bleeding.

If you have regular nose bleeds however, I would ask the doctor for a blood test as you may have a mild blood disorder such as hemaphillia (when you have thinner than normal blood)

Anonymous

Don't worry when i was 13? I had nose bleeds every afternoon for a week and then one afternoon a large clot came out of my nose it hurt when it came out i thought it was a tumor or something. And after that I haven't had a nose bleed that was 7 years ago now.

Anonymous

when i was younger i would constantly get nose bleeds, and for me, they wouldnt stop until i pulled out what i called 'the blood booger' lol. basically every time my nose bled it would cause a massive clot and wouldnt stop until i removed it from my nose. i've done this countless times. i no longer get regular nose bleeds and don't remember the last time i felt a clot, but trust me it is perfectly normal.

Anonymous

I'm fourteen and I'm not sure what the clump of blood is. If you get nosebleeds because of allergies (me), try going to a sink and let the blood drip into that. Turn on the cold water and wipe away the blood. Cold water will slow it down after a while. It may take a few minutes for it to slow down. After it starts to slow down from the water, try and breathe through your nose. Try and get some water in the nostril to clear away the blood. Don't inhale the water. If you feel something in your nose, blow just enough to get it out. When it stops, keep using the cold water to clear your nose of blood. The nostril should then be clear and you should be able to breathe through it. Then get something with calcium and drink or eat it whatever it is you chose.
Follow these instructions in this order and it might possibly work. I believe some people have sensitive nostrils. If you are one of those people, I don't recommend it to you but if you are willing to try it then go ahead.

NO!!!! Don't blow your nose!!! The blood clot with release and much blood will be realeasef!

Anonymous

I have a 16 year old daughter over the last couple years she has been getting nose bleeds. I've taken her to the doctor, they told me it's just do the air and dry nasal. This started since she was 5 years old. However it's not every year when it does happen blood clots come out should I be concerned?

Anonymous

I had 5 separate nosebleeds today, and 3 of them were from one nostril. At the end of these, a huge blood clot came out, and the bleeding stopped instantly. I also spit up a rather large blood clot that was mixed with mucous this morning. What should i do?

So I'm 14. A little young, yes? But I have a LOT more experience with nosebleeds than almost all the adults I know. Every year I get nosebleeds. It's not annual or anything, I just have a dry nose(I think!). I've had over 200 nosebleeds AT LEAST. I'm surprised I still have a good amount of blood with how many I've had. One time my mom took me to the hospital because one was so bad. Clots are pretty normal for me(that doesn't mean I like them or that they don't bother me) but usually-USUALLY- the bleeding slows AFTER the clot comes out, or I'll keep having nose bleed till it does. Don't blow your nose and I recommend NOT swallowing it from experience as weird as it sounds. I LITERALLY just finished a nosebleed with a clot 2 minutes ago. After bleeding I recommend not snuffing up or anything to aggravate your nose otherwise it'll bleed again. But yes, blood clots are fairly normal.

Nose Bleed

Nose Bleed Guide