Nose Bleed

Nose Bleed Guide

ask: Is blood clots during a nosebleed normal?

I am 21 and this morning my nose started bleeding. I bled for over 20 minutes, heavily, and the blood was bright red. About 15 mins into the nosebleed, i felt like something was stuck at the back of my nose/throat. When I lifted my head, I felt something in my mouth so I spit it out and it was a bright red blod clot. What's wrong with me?

Anonymous

I never get nose bleeds. The other morning I felt like I had phlegm in the back of my throat. When I coughed it up, it was a huge blood clot. I blew my nose to check it out and there was a slight amount of blood . did I have a nose bleed while sleeping and it accumilated in the back of my throat? Should I be concerned since this has never happened before? I am 60yrs old.

From our Nose Bleed Page:
Nosebleed symptoms differ, depending on where in the nose the bleeding begins.

■Anterior nosebleed—produces blood flow from one nostril when the patient sits or stands. Blood may pass down the throat if the person is coughing or blowing the nose.
■Posterior nosebleed—causes bleeding down the back of the mouth and throat. When the patient leans forward, the blood may flow from the nostril. Blood flow may be fast or slow.

The blood clot you spat up (which may mean you had the less common posterior nosebleed) was likely due to the blood drying and this made it into a more solid mass that you could spit up.

Was this the first time this has happened to you? Some people are more prone to nose bleeds, especially in dry climates or homes without a humidifier. There are many other reasons that you can read here: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/nosebleed

If this happens again, it's a good idea to call your doctor to make sure all is well.

I hope this helps and thanks for writing!
~Susan