Q: 

Is blood clots during a nosebleed normal?

I am 21 and this morning my nose started bleeding. I bled for over 20 minutes, heavily, and the blood was bright red. About 15 mins into the nosebleed, i felt like something was stuck at the back of my nose/throat. When I lifted my head, I felt something in my mouth so I spit it out and it was a bright red blod clot. What's wrong with me?

Anonymous

Hi my son is 18 years old and he has been having blood clot nose bleeds for the past 2 days should he be seen by his doctor or go to the ER the blood clots are the size of a quarter as well as he's been spitting them up

Anonymous

hiya my son hayden is 9 years opld for many years he has had nose bleeds the doctor chalked it up to not much other then allerigies this am he had a nose bleed (this isnt the first of its nature but the worst yet) he said daddy i feel like i have something in my nose he started to pull on th etoliet paper he was covering his nose with only to pull out of his nose what appeared to be a darker then avagrage strand of cloted blood i dont know what to make of it i stuck it ina plastic bagto bring to the doctor do i need to panbic i dont wnat to freak out and take him to the er if i dont need to thanks one and all

Hi my Daughter Hayden is 9 years old as well and is going threw the same thing doctor tells me the same thing but I don't think its allergies it has to be something different thats making her bleed this much

Anonymous

I was about to fall asleep when I suddenly got a nosebleed. This was weird to me since I normally don't get them, maybe one or two times a year. I just did what I always do on these rare occasions and titled toward while pinching my nose shut. I thought it was over after 10 minutes and wiped my nose with a tissue only to notice something stuck to it a little. Then there was a bright red clot on the tissue. Am I okay? Or is there something wrong.

It's completely normal to have a blood clot. I get nose bleeds ALL the time, and every time I get one or two of them. Blood clots are just a result of your body trying to stop the bleeding. Hope this helped!

If this was a once off then it's not likely to be serious. Nose bleeds can happen randomly and clots aren't unusual in some people.

Anonymous

You might need your blood vessels in nostrils to be cauterized by an ENT doctor.

Anonymous

I am a 23 year old who has had allergy problems for the past 5 years. The past 2 have been difficult since it messes with my nose and ears. I can hardly smell and my ears fill with fluid every so often and cause ear infections. A few months ago I'd blow my nose and would begin to see blood. I did not think much of it since maybe I was blowing my nose too hard. A few weeks ago I blew my nose and a small blood clot looking object came out bright red. I thought it was rather odd but did not think anything of it. Today I went to the the doctor for and ear infection in both ears and she also checked my nose. She did not see anything, but I did tell her that I had been getting nose bleeds while blowing my nose. She did not think too much of it besides make a face like "you poor thing." About 20 minutes ago I blew my nose again hoping I would be able to breath better. I began to have another nose bleed so bad that I was dripping everywhere. It literally looked like bright red water by how it was pouring out of my nose. Sorry for being so graphic but I am trying to describe the scene. I blew my nose again at the sink and all of a sudden a huge blood clot came out of my right nostril. I am not sure why I had it to begin with, but has soon as it came out I could breathe! However now that it stopped bleeding and healed back up, my nose is back to being stuffed up..

Anonymous

I am 18 and have been having nosebleeds my entire life. In the past week I have had multiple nosebleeds a day and most lasting around 45 minutes. It is bright red and there are 2-3 clots in the nosebleed. Any recommendations on what I should do? At first I wasn't worried but I am starting to get worried. Thank you.

See an ENT your blood vessels in your nostrils are more pronounced and they need to be corderized

Tags:

Nose Bleed

Nose Bleed Guide