ask: Is blood clots during a nosebleed normal?

I am 21 and this morning my nose started bleeding. I bled for over 20 minutes, heavily, and the blood was bright red. About 15 mins into the nosebleed, i felt like something was stuck at the back of my nose/throat. When I lifted my head, I felt something in my mouth so I spit it out and it was a bright red blod clot. What's wrong with me?

Anonymous

I have a 16 year old daughter over the last couple years she has been getting nose bleeds. I've taken her to the doctor, they told me it's just do the air and dry nasal. This started since she was 5 years old. However it's not every year when it does happen blood clots come out should I be concerned?

Anonymous

I had 5 separate nosebleeds today, and 3 of them were from one nostril. At the end of these, a huge blood clot came out, and the bleeding stopped instantly. I also spit up a rather large blood clot that was mixed with mucous this morning. What should i do?

Anonymous

I've only had three nose bleeds so far all spaced out within several months from late September to today, always from one side. Usually there would be some bleeding until a blood clot would come out then it would stop. I have never had them before so I thought that because I would find a clot afterwards it was unusual. At first I thought my first one, was because of the birth control I had started taking for the first time but as I am not taking them anymore due to a reaction I had, I know that's not the case. I've reminded myself that if I end up having another I'll be making an appointment with a Dr.

Anonymous

I'm 23 and last night I felt like I had mucus stuck in my throat but I'm not sick so when I cleared it my nose began to bleed for about 10 minutes. Then I finally got it to stop. Then again this morning I was getting ready to leave and my nose began to bleed again and it bled for 20 minutes even coming out of my mouth, then a blood clot as long as my middle finger came out. I finally got it to stop after an additional 10 minutes. And I have been experiencing dizziness and headaches for a week. And I'm also anemic, I don't if that has anything to do with it. But I really want to know what is wrong with me. Can anyone help?

You might be dehydrated but if another blood clot comes out and you are still dizzy go to the doctor

You might want to check your platelets if they are a below normal but not low enough to get platelets, tell them you have been having a constant nose bleed, then they would have to give you some.

Anonymous

I have been getting nose bleeds for the last three days they bleed any where for 20 minutes to an hour then a huge blood clot comes out my nose, and i get very dizzy and get a very bad migraine. I alreaady have a brain injury an was wondering if my sinuses could be causing this or my injury.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Anon

Please contact your doctor, especially with your dizziness and migraines, as soon as possible. 

Please keep us updated-

Anonymous

It's completely normal I have had patients with the same issue. I put a nose tampon in and that stops the bleeding. I also had a patient who was bleeding for a week. The blockage was removed and I sent him home after I checked him to see if the bleeding had stopped.

Anonymous

I never get nose bleeds. The other morning I felt like I had phlegm in the back of my throat. When I coughed it up, it was a huge blood clot. I blew my nose to check it out and there was a slight amount of blood . did I have a nose bleed while sleeping and it accumilated in the back of my throat? Should I be concerned since this has never happened before? I am 60yrs old.

Nose Bleed

Nose Bleed Guide

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :