Is blood clots during a nosebleed normal?

I am 21 and this morning my nose started bleeding. I bled for over 20 minutes, heavily, and the blood was bright red. About 15 mins into the nosebleed, i felt like something was stuck at the back of my nose/throat. When I lifted my head, I felt something in my mouth so I spit it out and it was a bright red blod clot. What's wrong with me?

Anonymous

I am a 23 year old who has had allergy problems for the past 5 years. The past 2 have been difficult since it messes with my nose and ears. I can hardly smell and my ears fill with fluid every so often and cause ear infections. A few months ago I'd blow my nose and would begin to see blood. I did not think much of it since maybe I was blowing my nose too hard. A few weeks ago I blew my nose and a small blood clot looking object came out bright red. I thought it was rather odd but did not think anything of it. Today I went to the the doctor for and ear infection in both ears and she also checked my nose. She did not see anything, but I did tell her that I had been getting nose bleeds while blowing my nose. She did not think too much of it besides make a face like "you poor thing." About 20 minutes ago I blew my nose again hoping I would be able to breath better. I began to have another nose bleed so bad that I was dripping everywhere. It literally looked like bright red water by how it was pouring out of my nose. Sorry for being so graphic but I am trying to describe the scene. I blew my nose again at the sink and all of a sudden a huge blood clot came out of my right nostril. I am not sure why I had it to begin with, but has soon as it came out I could breathe! However now that it stopped bleeding and healed back up, my nose is back to being stuffed up..

Anonymous

I am 18 and have been having nosebleeds my entire life. In the past week I have had multiple nosebleeds a day and most lasting around 45 minutes. It is bright red and there are 2-3 clots in the nosebleed. Any recommendations on what I should do? At first I wasn't worried but I am starting to get worried. Thank you.

I have had the same problem. Eventually I went to the doctor and had my nose cauterized. I still get nosebleeds, but rarely and usually during the winter. It makes it a whole lot easier, and you no longer have to deal with long, gushing nose bleeds. I would highly recommend it.

Hello Anon

My advice is too see a doctor about this; multiple nose bleeds per day need an evaluation.

Anonymous

My daughter is having nose bleeds she is only 9 yrs old. She has them frequently maybe twice or once a month. But this past weekend she has had one on Saturday, Sunday and today Monday at 3 am. With the past two day having a heavy flow of blood with clots coming out. Is it normal?

Check her for nasal polyps

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

No, this is not normal. Please contact your pediatrician about this today.

Regards,

Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

i get nose bleeds often. i have one as i type and the clots feel like slugs coming out of my nose. is that bad????

Anonymous

Hi,
Just now I had a nosebleed for around 20 minutes. It started in the middle of the night and just woke me up. It was really heavy with bright red blood until I felt something stuck to the tissue from which I then pulled it away revealing a long thick clot of blood leaving a rather large puddle in the tissue bigger than the size of about 6 50ps stacked. Immediately after this, the nose blood stopped any ideas to why I had such a clotting? Anything I need to be concerned about?

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Clotting is a good thing. If you have a repeat of this , please consider speaking with your primary care physician.

If the humidity in your house is low due to heating, this can be drying out your nasal [passages and causing a nosebleed. Use of a humidifier can help.

If you suffer with high blood pressure, then frequent or prolonged nosebleeds are a worry.

Regards,

Nose Bleed

Nose Bleed Guide