Boils

Boils Guide

ask: Boils during pregnant and really freaking out!

By writermama

I seem to get boils while pregnant and they are always near or on the "lady parts" area. Nobody seems especially worried about this, but I am still freaking out. I went to the dr. to try and have it cultured but he just said it was fine and they tend to heal up entirely on their own...but then I get a new one later. I've only had two larges ones and the rest look more like pimples...or they will just form small nodules under the skin with no pain, redness, or swelling. I have one like that on the labia right now. It's flesh colored, not painful, and had a small whitehead which I accidentally popped. It was a very small amount and I used antiseptic just in case. My care provider said that since they heal very quickly and since the drainage I do have is actually more amber in color than pus-like... it means my immune system is doing a good job of handling things. Should I worry about my baby in all of this? I'm due to deliver at any given moment and I'm terrified of passing staph to him. But when nobody else seems concerned... what can I do? Would cleaning myself with antiseptic daily do the trick?

Anonymous

im 17 weeks pregnant and I have a boil on my stomach I always got them around my buttocks area before I'm worried can I pass something to the baby?

Cary Cook BSN RN

Hi Writer

We've had a couple of questions on this before: http://www.empowher.com/condition/search/boils-during-pregnancy

As far as delivery, I don't think you have to worry because whether it is vaginal or C-section, they will clean the area with antibacterial liquid they clean the baby right away as well, so that should not be a huge issue.

In the meantime, I have known doctors to suggest Phisohex or Phisoderm or similar wash for this kind of problem, but check with your doctor and see if that is an option for you. There may be a reason it is not a good idea. If the doc isn't worried about it, you can relax a bit, too. The doc has likely delivered more babies than you have, and has probably seen this many times before. Some people treat boils with tea tree oil. You could ask about that as well-I'm not sure whether it is okay to use on your genitals, but it does have natural antibiotic type properties.

It sounds like you are doing everything right. You have good hygiene and warm soaks can also help on a specific boil to soften it a bit. Thank you for writing, congratulations and good luck. Please let us know how you do.